SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, Mama Sue said:

Enjoying a college game outdoors.... the band stays all 4 quarters... Nol Ioud music blaring from speakers. Does the UND band still play and if so how long does it stay? I have never been a fan of the loud music.... 

I like the music coming out of the tunnel, but after that let the band do its job. Gotta love Stand Up and Cheer!!

• Upvote 1

“Ok fans, on your feet this is the Fighting Sioux third down!” “Tackled by the entire Fighting Sioux defense.” Miss that wonderful environment!!!  I do love outdoor football over an indoor facility but I do NOT miss running to the Expedition, turning the heat on high, and trying to change to dry socks at half time!!!! You would think therecis plenty of room to do that but we had to rotate to have space.

But great memories.... my husband always came but he does not have the passion (or pocket book) to follow sports like I do. I still follow every college team my sons have had contact with..... but the Sioux are my favorite!!!

• 4 weeks later...

What they don't need:

1.  What is with the pump up music when the offense is on the field.  Do they not understand to be quite when offence is on the field.  Too many people still making noise when the offense is on the field.  Doesn't help when The Alerus center staff don't get this.

2.  The roped off Concession area is dump.  There should be 1 line at each till.  When line extends beyond the roped area it is too difficult to locate the end of line and people in the line are in the way.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Big Green said:

The roped off Concession area is dump.  There should be 1 line at each till.  When line extends beyond the roped area it is too difficult to locate the end of line and people in the line are in the way.

They should make the rope longer then.

The rope make it "fair." First in first out. And eliminates those lines stretching from the concessions to the back wall. At least now theres more room to walk around the concession lines.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

THEY HAVE TO STOP PLAYING MUSIC WHEN OFFENSE IS ON FIELD!

Had to use all caps because this is awful.

This is really a poor practice. Someone upstairs doesn't understand home field advantage, or it's the game day program manager, or whoever it is, it must get figured out.

That being said, a part of the crowd doesn't understand they need to make noise prior to snaps when our defense is on the field, and why they need to do it.

I sit in Section 215 next to the students. Some are so lost as far as crowd participation goes, that I think they need a map. Maybe an article in the Dakota Student could explain how this home field advantage can work and the advantages of doing so. I would think it's a matter of educating the student fans, and the rest of the fans that need guidance will join in accordingly.

Edit: Does anyone know someone working at the Dakota Student. The crowd did help create some penalties on Idaho St.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

This is really a poor practice. Someone upstairs doesn't understand home field advantage, or it's the game day program manager, or whoever it is, it must get figured out.

That being said, a part of the crowd doesn't understand they need to make noise prior to snaps when our defense is on the field, and why they need to do it.

I sit in Section 215 next to the students. They are so lost as far as crowd participation goes, that I think they need a map. Maybe an article in the Dakota Student could explain how this home field advantage can work and the advantages of doing so. I would think it's a matter of educating the student fans, and the rest of the fans that need guidance will join in accordingly.

NDSU has had "Yell leaders" for years.  Something UND needs to have to help organize the students cheering during the game.  

6 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I sit in Section 215 next to the students. They are so lost as far as crowd participation goes, that I think they need a map. Maybe an article in the Dakota Student could explain how this home field advantage can work and the advantages of doing so. I would think it's a matter of educating the student fans, and the rest of the fans that need guidance will join in accordingly.

Good luck with that

Dakota Student will never do that... 

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

NDSU has had "Yell leaders" for years.  Something UND needs to have to help organize the students cheering during the game.  

UND did do that for 2 years (first two years of big sky play).

It stopped working the minute they dangled free season hockey tickets the 2nd year and replaced the first two who did a decent job. 

On 9/1/2018 at 7:04 PM, 1972 said:

Can we get the PA guy not to play music when we are on offense?  Or the band to be quiet when we are on offense?  Take a note from NDSU( UGGH).   

Other schools have a band or pipe in music after 1st downs etc... listen to the band play here while Washington is at the line of scrimmage  11:15 mark on link, and this happens all game long at Husky Stadium.  You make it sound like music doesn't happen anywhere, when teams are on offense.  I argue, it happens nearly everywhere else, but they usually cut it as the team breaks huddle and approaches the line of scrimmage.  Isn't that pretty much what they do at the Alerus when we are on offense? I've never heard music playing when the UND QB is in his cadence at home.  You make it sound like our lineman can't hear our QB, but I hear our QB cadence plenty of times sitting in my seat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAUNLSCvllE

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, the green team said:

Other schools have a band or pipe in music after 1st downs etc... listen to the band play here while Washington is at the line of scrimmage  11:15 mark on link, and this happens all game long at Husky Stadium.  You make it sound like music doesn't happen anywhere, when teams are on offense.  I argue, it happens nearly everywhere else, but they usually cut it as the team breaks huddle and approaches the line of scrimmage.  Isn't that pretty much what they do at the Alerus when we are on offense? I've never heard music playing when the UND QB is in his cadence at home.  You make it sound like our lineman can't hear our QB, but I hear our QB cadence plenty of times sitting in my seat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAUNLSCvllE

I like the band.  Hate piped in music that has lyrics.  You hear like 4 words and then it stops.  And it never starts soon enough to allow much of the song to play.  Sounds bush league.  LOVE THE BANDS.  Our band needs to play more often.  The band should be used as "yell leaders"  I'd also move them a section closer to the 50 because they actually stay the whole game.

47 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I like the band.  Hate piped in music that has lyrics.  You hear like 4 words and then it stops.  And it never starts soon enough to allow much of the song to play.  Sounds bush league.  LOVE THE BANDS.  Our band needs to play more often.  The band should be used as "yell leaders"  I'd also move them a section closer to the 50 because they actually stay the whole game.

I think both can be used effectively together.  I think the band should be used most of the time.  The band is one thing that makes college football great.  Hearing the band play after we score or even just briefly after a first down or a big blay is great.  Use the music for the intro, on 3rd downs to get the crowd motivated, and between stoppages in play (timeouts/quarter breaks/etc).  

• Upvote 3

• 3 months later...
24 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Can anyone describe this new addition in more detail?

They have always had an 'arching light' just below the roof on both the east and west side of the building.  They updated that light to an LED version that can change to any color...similar to the Sorlie bridge downtown. Prior to the update, that lights was green.  This week they had it set to green and red (alternating colors).  The colors also "move" from North to South.  Hope this helps!

Edit:  Here's a pic of the green light, prior to being updated:

Image result for alerus center lights

• Upvote 1