Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
geaux_sioux

What's Needed At The Alerus?

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, WiSioux said:

Assigned tailgating spots is stupid.

I partially agree with this because it gets frustrating, especially later in the year, seeing all of the empty spots between groups. That being said, it is incredibly convenient to know exactly where you are going to be set up, especially when people are stopping by and also knowing exactly what you are working in terms of space and area around you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are plenty of non-assigned spots, those who are loyal tailgaters that use their spots for tailgating should be able to reserve for the season, as it is now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I partially agree with this because it gets frustrating, especially later in the year, seeing all of the empty spots between groups. That being said, it is incredibly convenient to know exactly where you are going to be set up, especially when people are stopping by and also knowing exactly what you are working in terms of space and area around you. 

How many other places have reserved tailgating?

It is the most frustrating thing and limiting thing, in my opinion, that has taken away from tailgating. 

Let alone dangerous when there are people that just buy them for a reserved parking spot that they roll into 10 minutes before the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

There are plenty of non-assigned spots, those who are loyal tailgaters that use their spots for tailgating should be able to reserve for the season, as it is now.

Respectfully disagree.

Why not meet new people every game and build the experience?  Why is it neccessary to have the exact same parking spaces in an open parking lot?  Maybe if you are at a huge stadium in the SEC or B1G. Where there are 10's of Thousands of people out tailgating.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, FBAlum said:

How many other places have reserved tailgating?

It is the most frustrating thing and limiting thing, in my opinion, that has taken away from tailgating. 

Let alone dangerous when there are people that just buy them for a reserved parking spot that they roll into 10 minutes before the game. 

Almost everywhere as far as I know? Most places are like UND and have both reserved and unreserved spots. 

I agree on the people who use them for parking. Very frustrating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never seen assigned tailgating anywhere. Also as far as your friends being able to find you, everyone has their cell phone glued to them anyway....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree... I have been to a number of SEC B1G stadiums. Some have an Assigned Lot. But not specific spaces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple fact is, if we lose reserved tailgating spots, it's probably the end of my investing in tailgating gear.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My issue with reserved tailgating, and really it is all hypothetical because I live in Colorado, but say you want to tailgate most but not all games? Do you reserve a spot and go when you can? Then people complain about the empty spots. I think you guys mentioned there is unassigned spots as well? I assume those are in the back. So you pay per week and get stuffed in the back of the lot because you didn't buy a reserved spot? It is stupid. Just have general tailgating. Open the lot four hours (or whatever time) before the game. Let everyone park as close as they can and set up shop. It eliminates the people cruising in last minute to park trying to navigate between all the people. How they'd park at the back. If you want to still buy a tailgating pass make it a window sticker or something then you can pay all at once instead of weekly. Whenever you park, send a group text to all your buddies so they can find you, or get yourself a really big distinguishing flag to fly. All the dedicated tailgaters will be together, it'll be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ericpnelson said:

Simple fact is, if we lose reserved tailgating spots, it's probably the end of my investing in tailgating gear.

I completely understand where you're coming from. With that said, since you are so invested, do you really feel many would arrive before you if the lots were all open ("first come, first serve")?

The way I see it, those who are invested and committed to tailgating are typically the first ones to arrive to the lots anyways. Considering that, opening the lots to everyone (no reservations) would likely improve the layout of tailgating by eliminating the gaps and not harm those invested ("diehards"). You may end up seeing more people out and about tailgate alley than you would think if people didn't have to reserve a tailgate spot.

Issue with not allowing reservations for tailgate is it is a gamble for the athletic department; it directly eliminates cash flow from those paying for spots. For that reason, it likely won't happen. It could potentially pay off though if open tailgating translated to increased attendance. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't there be a section for reserved spots and a section next to it with first come/first served spots?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously not an option this year, but perhaps the last two home games of the year go to the tailgators that are there two hours before the game and offer them reserved tickets for the next season.  If you're not there those last two games or you aren't there two hours before the game then you don't get a reserved spot the next year.  I think it would cut down on people just showing up with their car 20 minutes before the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a reason that people with large setups like having a reserves spot(s) tailgating.  They don't have to worry about finding a 6 spot space for their rig.  Those people that have those large setups are there every week and are not the ones that are creating large gaps in the tailgate lots.  Those people are the ones with 1 or 2 spots in the back half of the tailgate lot that may or may not show.  I say they issue reserved tailgate spots to those want to reserve 3 or more spots together.  That way they don't have to worry about making sure they have enough space for their setup.  You can still sell season tailgating passes to those with 1 or 2 spots.  Those people would get a pass they can show every week and their spaces are first come first serve.  This ensures the big rigs and large setup tailgaters have their spot each week, and it eliminates open areas for season tailgate owners when they are not there.  

*Bonus idea - eliminate the "Student tailgate lot" and mix them in with the rest of the tailgaters.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

There is a reason that people with large setups like having a reserves spot(s) tailgating.  They don't have to worry about finding a 6 spot space for their rig.  Those people that have those large setups are there every week and are not the ones that are creating large gaps in the tailgate lots.  Those people are the ones with 1 or 2 spots in the back half of the tailgate lot that may or may not show.  I say they issue reserved tailgate spots to those want to reserve 3 or more spots together.  That way they don't have to worry about making sure they have enough space for their setup.  You can still sell season tailgating passes to those with 1 or 2 spots.  Those people would get a pass they can show every week and their spaces are first come first serve.  This ensures the big rigs and large setup tailgaters have their spot each week, and it eliminates open areas for season tailgate owners when they are not there.  

*Bonus idea - eliminate the "Student tailgate lot" and mix them in with the rest of the tailgaters.  

You are a real problem solver-

The big set ups will know when they can't make a game, they could easily call it in to whomever for 1st come/1st serve or let their tailgate neighbor know and that person could expand for that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole idea of first come first serve, helps "big rigs"...because when you get there there's a bunch of open spots....that will be filled up after you arrive.

And cheaper spots help people create a larger tailgate spot and/or bigger rigs which in turn helps create a better atmosphere. (And safer too by not cramming more stuff and people into the street).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reserved spots = guaranteed revenue for the athletic department, thus the reason they aren't going away. However it sounds like they are open to some sort of tweaks, which is nice to hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I completely understand where you're coming from. With that said, since you are so invested, do you really feel many would arrive before you if the lots were all open ("first come, first serve")?

The way I see it, those who are invested and committed to tailgating are typically the first ones to arrive to the lots anyways. Considering that, opening the lots to everyone (no reservations) would likely improve the layout of tailgating by eliminating the gaps and not harm those invested ("diehards"). You may end up seeing more people out and about tailgate alley than you would think if people didn't have to reserve a tailgate spot.

Issue with not allowing reservations for tailgate is it is a gamble for the athletic department; it directly eliminates cash flow from those paying for spots. For that reason, it likely won't happen. It could potentially pay off though if open tailgating translated to increased attendance. 

How many spots can you take up on your first come, first serve deal? Like at 7 am, is it just a big game of parking lot Risk where you take up as much territory as you can? We kinda buy stuff to fill up the spots we get (we request more adjacent spots every year). BTW, we have some cool stuff on deck this year, but probably no sushi chef again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something that I think others have mentioned........if there were reserved spots, but if they were vacant/not being used 4 hours (or whatever made sense) prior to game time, others could fill in and use those spots.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ericpnelson said:

How many spots can you take up on your first come, first serve deal? 

As many as you want to buy. Just like it is now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ericpnelson said:

How many spots can you take up on your first come, first serve deal? Like at 7 am, is it just a big game of parking lot Risk where you take up as much territory as you can? We kinda buy stuff to fill up the spots we get (we request more adjacent spots every year). BTW, we have some cool stuff on deck this year, but probably no sushi chef again.

No sushi chef again?? As in there was a sushi chef? My boy Eric P Nelson knows what's up.  That's a baller move.  I want to party with you, cowboy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

No sushi chef again?? As in there was a sushi chef? My boy Eric P Nelson knows what's up.  That's a baller move.  I want to party with you, cowboy. 

Pics or it didn't happen, right?
Cskrl-YUIAAoz2S.jpg

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

Can't there be a section for reserved spots and a section next to it with first come/first served spots?

^^^^^this.  

Add a section.  

Reserved spots assigned. 

Reserved spots not assigned. 

Nonreserved.  

Push the tailgate ally and kids games further south and spread the reserved spots assigned more east to west.  Get the dedicated tailgate rigs upfront where people see them walking in.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are you having sushi at football??? I clearly am a traditionalist ha. Burgers and brats for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Why are you having sushi at football??? I clearly am a traditionalist ha. Burgers and brats for me.

Eric is cultured. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Why are you having sushi at football??? I clearly am a traditionalist ha. Burgers and brats for me.

champagne taste

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×