SiouxSports.com Forum

Beer

Fetch

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

This thread reminds me of how some people said Starbucks will never grow outside the coasts, as the unwashed masses will never pay more than a dollar for a cup of coffee.

Didn't say it would never grow in GF but from what I've seen and heard, it doesn't have the traction yet. Who knows, it might take another brewery to infuse some life into the market.

There is always room for a brewery if the beer is good. Some of my favorite breweries out here do it right by having diversity in options. Most have a solid pilsner, wheat and lager, which are great beers to drink on a warm day. Then they have solid IPA's, Ales, Dunkel, Stouts and Browns. Very nice to have options.

50 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

Anybody else a fan of Bell's Hopslam?  It's a double IPA that is very good.  They only brew it once a year and it is usually released in February.  As of yesterday, JL Beers still has some on tap.  Give it a try if you're an IPA fan.

Hopslam mania has died down quite a bit since they're not the only ones making great double/imperial IPAs but it still one of the best ones around.

If you guys want to do some serious research on the subject, you should come with me to Sidney, MT April 22 for the Bakken Brew Fest. $50 to get in the door and then it's all you can drink. Over 70 breweries from MT, ND, CO, and the area. Last year there was free popcorn, hot dogs, etc... and a band too.

21 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

If you guys want to do some serious research on the subject, you should come with me to Sidney, MT April 22 for the Bakken Brew Fest. $50 to get in the door and then it's all you can drink. Over 70 breweries from MT, ND, CO, and the area. Last year there was free popcorn, hot dogs, etc... and a band too.

Blackfoot River has some outstanding beers, their gose in particular.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, streetsahead said:

Anybody else a fan of Bell's Hopslam?  It's a double IPA that is very good.  They only brew it once a year and it is usually released in February.  As of yesterday, JL Beers still has some on tap.  Give it a try if you're an IPA fan.

Probably one of my favorite beers!!  It sucks it is only around for a limited time.  Maybe that is what makes it better!!  Their Two Hearted is one of my go to beers!!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Probably one of my favorite beers!!  It sucks it is only around for a limited time.  Maybe that is what makes it better!!  Their Two Hearted is one of my go to beers!!

Two Hearted is my standard order at JL Beers if i'm not in the mood to try something new.

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

My thought(one man's opinion) is that GF may not be a great demographic for a brewery.  The majority of people want their $3 CL, BL, M'Goldens and not a $6-7 beer they've never heard of.  I'm somewhere in the middle, I'll try some different beers but usually end up back with the name brands(although not necessarily domestic).  I could be proven wrong and hope I am but this is my impression.  Also, I have to agree that Rhombus plays it a bit safe. Their beer doesn't have a distinctive and lasting flavor that would make me want to cough up an extra $3.

I work at a local liquor store and the amount of Busch Light we sell makes me sad. However, it does seem more people are buying more craft beers like Bells, Surleys, Bent Paddle etc. than Sam Adams, Bluee Moon, Heineken, and Leinenkugels (except Summer Shandy) type of beers.

First and foremost, I always have a good supply of Old Mil in my fridge for consumption.  If someone happens to leave some Bud Light or Miller Light in my fridge after a "fire and beers on the deck" night, then hooray for me, I've got beer to cook with.  That stuff is slop to me.  Lately I've been on a porters and stouts kick!  In fact I'm loosening up for tonight's game with a cold Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat Oatmeal Cream Stout right now!  I used to love Weinhardts Red.  But they changed it to Amber and tried to tell me it was the same thing.  Nope.  I do like the stuff Deschutes Brewery makes:  Mirror Pond, Red Chair, and Black Butte.  For novelty purposes, if you get a chance to try Iron Maiden's beer called The Trooper, it's worth buying a 12 pack.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Fargo the town not the brewery. Fargo brewing is the safe one in Fargo.  Flatland Drekker and Junkyard all blow them out of the water in both quality and variety.

I gotcha now.  And yes I agree.

Grand Forks is more of a beer town than I thought it was.  They can handle a couple more brewers.  Just look how well Rhombus is doing.  Brick and Barley seems to be doing well everytime I am in there like last night.  Tried a couple beers from Revelation out of Hallock.  It was fine, but nothing special.

I do think too many brewers come up with their core recipes and forget to try anything new.  Which is why I love a brewery like Alaskan.  When I went there they said they always let employees come up with brew.  Some bomb and some end up being released.  This is where you get their pilot series beers.

BTW went to new brewery in the Minneapolis called Utepils that has a cool bar / tasting room.  They do more of the European style beers if looking for something different.

11 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Grand Forks is more of a beer town than I thought it was.  They can handle a couple more brewers.  Just look how well Rhombus is doing.  Brick and Barley seems to be doing well everytime I am in there like last night.  Tried a couple beers from Revelation out of Hallock.  It was fine, but nothing special.

I do think too many brewers come up with their core recipes and forget to try anything new.  Which is why I love a brewery like Alaskan.  When I went there they said they always let employees come up with brew.  Some bomb and some end up being released.  This is where you get their pilot series beers.

BTW went to new brewery in the Minneapolis called Utepils that has a cool bar / tasting room.  They do more of the European style beers if looking for something different.

Wouldn't be so sure about that

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Blackfoot River has some outstanding beers, their gose in particular.

I've never heard anyone call it Blackfoot River, everyone calls it Blackfoot Brewery. It's gotten more popular when they expanded, If you don't want to limited to 4 pints Millers Crossing is where you go.

I have yet to go to the new Lewis and Clark Brewery.

1 hour ago, Boogieman said:

First and foremost, I always have a good supply of Old Mil in my fridge for consumption.  If someone happens to leave some Bud Light or Miller Light in my fridge after a "fire and beers on the deck" night, then hooray for me, I've got beer to cook with.  That stuff is slop to me.  Lately I've been on a porters and stouts kick!  In fact I'm loosening up for tonight's game with a cold Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat Oatmeal Cream Stout right now!  I used to love Weinhardts Red.  But they changed it to Amber and tried to tell me it was the same thing.  Nope.  I do like the stuff Deschutes Brewery makes:  Mirror Pond, Red Chair, and Black Butte.  For novelty purposes, if you get a chance to try Iron Maiden's beer called The Trooper, it's worth buying a 12 pack.

I'm not sure if Deschutes distributes a bad beer.  If they do, I haven't tried it yet.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I've never heard anyone call it Blackfoot River, everyone calls it Blackfoot Brewery. It's gotten more popular when they expanded, If you don't want to limited to 4 pints Millers Crossing is where you go.

I have yet to go to the new Lewis and Clark Brewery.

I know it's usually called just Blackfoot but it's technically Blackfoot River so I posted that in case anyone wanted to look it up.

6 hours ago, streetsahead said:

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Hopslam mania has died down quite a bit since they're not the only ones making great double/imperial IPAs but it still one of the best ones around.

I went to K-zoo for the Saturday hockey game against WMU. The Hopslam at Bell's before the game definitely tasted better than it did at a neighborhood bar after the game. It could have been the bitter taste of defeat, but I think freshness matters with Hopslam. As far as others to try, Alaskan Brewing Co. Hopothermia was pretty darn good, but I've not seen it around here lately. Is Alaskan distributed in ND?