Fetch

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
31 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Hopefully their beer is actually good.

I've heard the brewers will actually make their new beer taste like microbrewery beer rather than watered down, tasteless, please the masses "craft" beer.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

How do you know they did they didn't have tight reigns on him as rhombus?

I have a pretty good feel for how much freedom he had, though to an earlier point, pleasing the masses doesn't always equal a good microbrew. Need to find that happy medium to please the regular crowd and the beer snobs.

Brewers usually have the recipes but don't have the rights to the names but it isn't hard to duplicate what what they were already producing. However if what I heard is correct, I'm excited about what Rhombus will be having in the near future.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I have a pretty good feel for how much freedom he had, though to an earlier point, pleasing the masses doesn't always equal a good microbrew. Need to find that happy medium to please the regular crowd and the beer snobs.

Brewers usually have the recipes but don't have the rights to the names but it isn't hard to duplicate what what they were already producing. However if what I heard is correct, I'm excited about what Rhombus will be having in the near future.

As long as one of them can brew decent beer I'll be happy

23 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I've heard the brewers will actually make their new beer taste like microbrewery beer rather than watered down, tasteless, please the masses "craft" beer.

LOL - if you view craft beer as "tasteless" and being made to "please the masses", WTH do you say about Bud Light?? :D

21 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

LOL - if you view craft beer as "tasteless" and being made to "please the masses", WTH do you say about Bud Light?? :D

I don't have that view for most craft beer.  I do view Rhombus's attempt at "craft" beer that way though.  They tried to play it safe.

And Bud Light, along with other light beers, is a refreshing drink to be consumed while golfing.

beer-snob.jpg

43 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Their beer just isn't good. Fargo has a ton of really good beer right now. Even little Flatland has some great beers. Rhombus is trying to be like Fargo Brewing except they aren't as good.

• Downvote 2

7 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Their beer just isn't good. Fargo has a ton of really good beer right now. Even little Flatland has some great beers. Rhombus is trying to be like Fargo Brewing except they aren't as good.

I'm going to so disagree and feel the complete opposite.  I've tried almost 2000 different beers and don't ever come back to Fargo's as I have almost felt they just played it safe to go mainstream.  Where I've felt Rhombus beers have been more flavorful.  Yes a bit safe, but every flavor has quality.  My only complaint is they could be hoppier, but that is getting beer snobbish.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I'm going to so disagree and feel the complete opposite.  I've tried almost 2000 different beers and don't ever come back to Fargo's as I have almost felt they just played it safe to go mainstream.  Where I've felt Rhombus beers have been more flavorful.  Yes a bit safe, but every flavor has quality.  My only complaint is they could be hoppier, but that is getting beer snobbish.  

Fargo the town not the brewery. Fargo brewing is the safe one in Fargo.  Flatland Drekker and Junkyard all blow them out of the water in both quality and variety.

15 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't have that view for most craft beer.  I do view Rhombus's attempt at "craft" beer that way though.  They tried to play it safe.

And Bud Light, along with other light beers, is a refreshing drink to be consumed while golfing.

beer-snob.jpg

Fair enough!  I actually had a few Rhombus Invincible IPA at football games this year.  Not bad, but not special.  At their brewery, I did enjoy their porter on nitro.

25 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Fargo the town not the brewery. Fargo brewing is the safe one in Fargo.  Flatland Drekker and Junkyard all blow them out of the water in both quality and variety.

This is so, so, true.  With Junkyard's expansion, I can only hope that they'll keep a few beers "always on", though, as they rotate so much that some days you walk in and can't come up with one you want - esp if you don't like sours (I don't).  Drekker is probably consistently Fargo's best beer, but Junkyard is definitely the most fun brewery!

11 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Fair enough!  I actually had a few Rhombus Invincible IPA at football games this year.  Not bad, but not special.  At their brewery, I did enjoy their porter on nitro.

This is so, so, true.  With Junkyard's expansion, I can only hope that they'll keep a few beers "always on", though, as they rotate so much that some days you walk in and can't come up with one you want - esp if you don't like sours (I don't).  Drekker is probably consistently Fargo's best beer, but Junkyard is definitely the most fun brewery!

Flatland in West Fargo has some really good German style beers as well as an interesting smoked jalapeño stout.

My thought(one man's opinion) is that GF may not be a great demographic for a brewery.  The majority of people want their $3 CL, BL, M'Goldens and not a $6-7 beer they've never heard of.  I'm somewhere in the middle, I'll try some different beers but usually end up back with the name brands(although not necessarily domestic).  I could be proven wrong and hope I am but this is my impression.  Also, I have to agree that Rhombus plays it a bit safe. Their beer doesn't have a distinctive and lasting flavor that would make me want to cough up an extra $3.

9 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

My thought(one man's opinion) is that GF may not be a great demographic for a brewery.  The majority of people want their $3 CL, BL, M'Goldens and not a $6-7 beer they've never heard of.  I'm somewhere in the middle, I'll try some different beers but usually end up back with the name brands(although not necessarily domestic).  I could be proven wrong and hope I am but this is my impression.  Also, I have to agree that Rhombus plays it a bit safe. Their beer doesn't have a distinctive and lasting flavor that would make me want to cough up an extra $3.

The same used to be said of America as a whole. If someone brews great beer in Grand Forks the people will drink it.

I enjoy Rhombus Beer alot. May not be as wild and tasty as some other breweries. Im sure if they wanted to they could make crazy infusion beers like Junkyard does, but maybe they don't want that reputation. Their Doc's Order Wheat Ale is by far the best wheat beer I've had. 

38 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

My wife and I go out Friday and Saturday nights for a couple drinks and food. We have eventually transitioned over to the craft beers now. I will gladly order my MGD and her a BL if nothing else is an option. But we have noticed more and more local bars are starting to carry a few more craft beers. IMHO the craft beers and local brews are getting good traction in the GF area.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Flatland in West Fargo has some really good German style beers as well as an interesting smoked jalapeño stout.

Flatland has good stuff from time to time. Unfortunately (for me), they decided that the IPA they're going to keep "always on" is the fruity one.  I was crushed last time I was in there!  If I'm having an IPA, I like something with a good nose and some bitterness.  IPA's that get real fruity (think Deschutes' Fresh Squeezed) just don't appeal to me, and that's the direction they went.  My favorite IPA brewed in Fargo right now is Kilstone's Adulteress.

Side note; we totally need a beer thread so we can get out of the GF Economy thread!

• Upvote 1