SiouxSports.com Forum

Call for moderators

jimdahl

Yeah, there's definitely a tension between wanting some new blood and fresh enthusiasm, but needing to make sure that the team can operate consistently (people get REALLY upset when moderation actions affect them differently than someone else).

To that end, I've been asking the existing mods to think about it and help identify potential candidates. And, I'd really want a consensus. So, it's going to be a slow process.

Meanwhile, the mods are trying to show their presence in the football threads more (those threads have always been monitored, but mods have generally just posted when they think there's a problem; now we'll post "yes we're here, and we have no problem with what we're seeing").

• 6 months later...

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/20356-und-ndsu-gameyear-thread/page-41

It would be nice if you guys banned trolls, rather than closing threads about an upcoming game.

There will be a new thread to replace the old one, but the problem will remain. It's a never ending circle.

Yes that thread was drifting a lot but I liked having a single place for the trolls to congregate. It kept other threads fairly clean and on topic.

Closing threads certainly doesn't work. The whole point of that thread was to keep it off the others. And then to close it for doing its job.

As ive mentioned before, Delete individual posts that are off topic instead of basically deleting the whole topic for everyone.

Closing threads certainly doesn't work. The whole point of that thread was to keep it off the others. And then to close it for doing its job.

As ive mentioned before, Delete individual posts that are off topic instead of basically deleting the whole topic for everyone.

I know no one likes it, so we try to minimize it, but the practice of closing threads really does generally achieve its goal.

The first weapon in the moderator toolkit is posting "hey stop this particular line of discussion", but someone often continues it (either because they haven't yet reached the moderator's post, or because they just can't resist trying to get in the last word). Closing a thread results in the legitimate discussion picking up in a new thread, but leaving the garbage behind because it can't be directly responded to.

That said, we definitely intentionally let the on topic woofing go in pregame threads, especially for big rivalry games. So, given that we actually hold them to a bit looser a standard, they're particularly challenging to moderate. 

I know no one likes it, so we try to minimize it, but the practice of closing threads really does generally achieve its goal.

Wouldn't it be easier to just ban the trolls (we know who they are). Seriously, they're  here just to cause a fight and put everyone in a rotten frame of mind?

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...