SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-15 HS hockey season

sioux rube

So dumb!!! The tourny belongs at the Ralph.

Why should GF teams get home cooking every year? I think Scheels will be a much better venue since it's not so massive. Only thing I will miss is the 2 rinks in the same building. It was convenient to walk across the concourse to watch a different game. If Scheels ever gets another rink or 2 added then it will be the same there.

• Upvote 1

Why should GF teams get home cooking every year? I think Scheels will be a much better venue since it's not so massive. Only thing I will miss is the 2 rinks in the same building. It was convenient to walk across the concourse to watch a different game. If Scheels ever gets another rink or 2 added then it will be the same there.

Kinda like Class A hockey in MN or the girls' tournaments..move them to a place with some atmosphere, not the X in front of close family, friends, and students.

Kinda like Class A hockey in MN or the girls' tournaments..move them to a place with some atmosphere, not the X in front of close family, friends, and students.

Because its Minnesota...everybody has the same opportunity to play at the X. (in front of a few hundred fans)

Home cooking you mean fans right? Because neither Central or Red River plays at the REA, so they don't have home ice advantage.

LOL! And a Gopher regional hockey game at the X isn't a real advantage for Minnesota, is it?

Since its a disadvantage to western teams (since only Bismarck has won it) maybe they should move the hockey tournament to Minot, Bismarck or Williston. Its kinda tradition to have the game at the nicest college hockey arena in the state.  You don't see Minnesota moving their state title games to Duluth, Bemidji, St. Cloud or Mankato.

Since its a disadvantage to western teams (since only Bismarck has won it) maybe they should move the hockey tournament to Minot, Bismarck or Williston. Its kinda tradition to have the game at the nicest college hockey arena in the state. You don't see Minnesota moving their state title games to Duluth, Bemidji, St. Cloud or Mankato.

What's the typical attendance at REA for the state A tournament compared with the Minnesota AA tournament?

What's the typical attendance at REA for the state A tournament compared with the Minnesota AA tournament?

I have no idea.

Minnesota 2014:

Thursday  Afternoon--AA Quarterfinals 15,582

Thursday Evening-AA Quarterfinals 17,979

Friday Consolation-AA Semifinals-Mariucci 10,829

Friday Evening-AA Semifinals 18,879

Saturday Consolation-A & AA Finals- Mariucci 11,200

Saturday Evening-AA Third Place & Championship 16,954

Now, given those attendance numbers, why on earth would you move this tournament to Duluth, St Cloud, Bemidji, or Moorhead? 

Since its a disadvantage to western teams (since only Bismarck has won it) maybe they should move the hockey tournament to Minot, Bismarck or Williston. Its kinda tradition to have the game at the nicest college hockey arena in the state.  You don't see Minnesota moving their state title games to Duluth, Bemidji, St. Cloud or Mankato.

Minot would be the only venue big enough. I think they had it there years ago.

Minnesota 2014:

Thursday  Afternoon--AA Quarterfinals 15,582

Thursday Evening-AA Quarterfinals 17,979

Friday Consolation-AA Semifinals-Mariucci 10,829

Friday Evening-AA Semifinals 18,879

Saturday Consolation-A & AA Finals- Mariucci 11,200

Saturday Evening-AA Third Place & Championship 16,954

Now, given those attendance numbers, why on earth would you move this tournament to Duluth, St Cloud, Bemidji, or Moorhead? 

Home cooking advantage as one poster put it. Its just like moving the west regionals from the Ralph to Scheels. Smaller venue, smaller attendance. 

Home cooking advantage as one poster put it. Its just like moving the west regionals from the Ralph to Scheels. Smaller venue, smaller attendance.

Only if REA is close to being jam-packed for every game does it make sense to keep the tournament there. If not, why should there be an issue in moving the tournament once in a while?

• Upvote 1

Only if REA is close to being jam-packed for every game does it make sense to keep the tournament there. If not, why should there be an issue in moving the tournament once in a while?

How many kids dream about playing in Scheels arena and how many dream about playing in the REA.

Smaller attendance?  The state tournament will be much better at Scheel's.  Much better atmosphere.  I doubt it will look sold out there, but at least it'll look like some people came to watch.  At the REA it looks like the janitorial crew is meandering about during the games cleaning the aisles.

I completely understand why a kid would want to play at the REA.  But to be honest, I'd rather play in an arena that has a better atmosphere than an empty Ralph.

• Upvote 1