SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-15 Season

brianvf

I don't support it and believe it should be cut.  The lack of attendance indicates I'm not alone in this.

Average attendance for the year is just under 1,200 per game.  Last year it was just over 1,200.  That ranks 3rd in the WCHA and 3rd in the country both years.  I would say that holding a game on a Friday afternoon probably isn't going to attract a large number of people.  People have jobs, kids have school, UND students have to go party at the end of the school week, etc.

• Upvote 2

Average attendance for the year is just under 1,200 per game.  Last year it was just over 1,200.  That ranks 3rd in the WCHA and 3rd in the country both years.  I would say that holding a game on a Friday afternoon probably isn't going to attract a large number of people.  People have jobs, kids have school, UND students have to go party at the end of the school week, etc.

And how many unclaimed student tickets are included in that number?

But guys, if we cut women's hockey we can give more money to men's basketball!

Ugh, stupid argument. We have the women's program, they aren't cutting it anytime soon, we should support it. Not much of a hockey town if we can't even support women's hockey. 

• Upvote 1

I don't support it and believe it should be cut.  The lack of attendance indicates I'm not alone in this.

You know, I'm as liberated as any 50+ male can be. Over the many years I go to lady Sioux hoops games, love it. I coach youth girls soccer and watch the women's US team whenever I can. However, I've been to like 3 lady Sioux hockey games over the last decade (last game I went to was vs Min last year, big crowd) and I'm not sure I'll go again. While I follow them on-line and in the paper (great 2nd half surge this year) I just don't get into it. You know why? Hockey excites me cus it's BOTH fast AND physical (men's) but for some reason they don't allow checking (okay, I know they bump each other a bit) in women's hockey. Why not? It's women against women? Whenever I see a play near the boards I'm expecting a check and then nothing. I wish I could like it cus I like watching sport but not touch hockey.

You know, I'm as liberated as any 50+ male can be. Over the many years I go to lady Sioux hoops games, love it. I coach youth girls soccer and watch the women's US team whenever I can. However, I've been to like 3 lady Sioux hockey games over the last decade (last game I went to was vs Min last year, big crowd) and I'm not sure I'll go again. While I follow them on-line and in the paper (great 2nd half surge this year) I just don't get into it. You know why? Hockey excites me cus it's BOTH fast AND physical (men's) but for some reason they don't allow checking (okay, I know they bump each other a bit) in women's hockey. Why not? It's women against women? Whenever I see a play near the boards I'm expecting a check and then nothing. I wish I could like it cus I like watching sport but not touch hockey.

Because right now, USA and Canada are leaps and bounds more athletic, skilled, and physically stronger than the other countries. They aren't going to allow it until it is a more even playing field.

Because right now, USA and Canada are leaps and bounds more athletic, skilled, and physically stronger than the other countries. They aren't going to allow it until it is a more even playing field.

Probably a good point. Let's hope they catch up soon as I would really like to like women's hockey and hence go watch it.

Wait, why is UND firing the coach who led his team to a first round sweep and hiring the coach who lost her first round series in her own building?

Because she's a strong outspoken gay woman and gfhockey wants more diversity in the coaching ranks?

Wait, why is UND firing the coach who led his team to a first round sweep and hiring the coach who lost her first round series in her own building?

I think it's pretty safe to say that nobody is going to be hiring Miller again, ever. Which I'm sure she knows, and is presumably part of the reason she's engaged in such a scorched-earth policy on her way out of Duluth.

I read yesterday how she thinks it's a Title IX violation that Sandelin gets paid more than she did. If a court agrees (which I highly doubt), I don't even want to think about the ramifications at pretty much every athletic department in the country.

I think it's pretty safe to say that nobody is going to be hiring Miller again, ever. Which I'm sure she knows, and is presumably part of the reason she's engaged in such a scorched-earth policy on her way out of Duluth.

I read yesterday how she thinks it's a Title IX violation that Sandelin gets paid more than she did. If a court agrees (which I highly doubt), I don't even want to think about the ramifications at pretty much every athletic department in the country.

Quick, who is paid more for coaching hoops at UConn, Geno Auriemma or Kevin Ollie?