SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-15 Season

brianvf

Two words: Title Nine

And most collegiate athletic programs are money losers, not just women's hockey.  If making money is a requirement, you wouldn't have more than two or three sponsored sports in NCAA athletics.

I understand the Title 9 argument.  Were we Title 9 compliant before we added women's hockey?   And are there other sports that lose less money than Women's Hockey? For example, there are a lot of collegiate women's sports out there...don't see many colleges and universities running to add hockey as a women's sport.

Agreed, the answer is not simple.

I understand the Title 9 argument.  Were we Title 9 compliant before we added women's hockey?   And are there other sports that lose less money than Women's Hockey? For example, there are a lot of collegiate women's sports out there...don't see many colleges and universities running to add hockey as a women's sport.

Agreed, the answer is not simple.

What women's sports are there that we could add that we don't have right now?  Maybe someone can chime in on that?

For a school and fanbase that prides itself on being a "hockey school" there are a whole lot of people willing to throw this program away just to get an extra hot tub in the men's locker room. 

If only the women's hockey program cost the university that little....

And in full disclosure, I'd like UND to become much more than just a "hockey school."

For a school and fanbase that prides itself on being a "hockey school" there are a whole lot of people willing to throw this program away just to get an extra hot tub in the men's locker room. 

Hey, not all of us are "hockey-only" fans.  In fact, the "hockey-only" contingent is one of the biggest problems at UND right now, amongst others.

• Upvote 1

Title 9 may not govern coaches' pay, but the Equal Pay Act of 1963 would.    Basically says you can't pay members of one sex more (or less) for doing the same work.    

Since the actual work of coaching ice hockey at UND doesn't differ that much whether its the mens team or women's team (and since statistically womens' teams are more likely to be coached by women), the difference in pay is probably limited ... to other permissible factors which include the greater revenue from men's hockey and team performance factors  (frozen four appearances, other championships).

I have no idea how one would compare mens basketball to women's hockey.   I'll stay at a Holiday Inn Express and report back. 

If you pay all the women's sports coaches less than the men's sports coaches, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen, even if the women's sports coaches are men.  Title IX kicks in if there isn't some evidence of equity (i.e.  two or three women's sports coaches are paid above the median for all sports at that institution). 

There is court cases that affirm that premise:

http://www.womenssportsfoundation.org/home/she-network/education/huge-title-ix-victory-today-in-quinnipiac-university-case

The women's coaches of hockey, basketball, and volleyball are all paid above the median for all coaches at UND. 

I don't know their salaries, but would assume the soccer, softball, swimming, x-country, and track are paid less than the median (but some have both men's and women's responsibilities). 

One also has to take into account the assistants pay in all sports.