Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
cberkas

College Hockey Expansion

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

You wonder how did it get to this point?

You have a Governor and a Conservative Republican core promising everyone big payments from the Permanent Fund.  Greed superceeds all rational thinking, especially with the anti-government and under educated people.  

But, that is just my personal opinion.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 12:11 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

If I was an athlete at one of those schools, Id be long long gone, unfortunately they have to wait for an official decree before they can transfer without losing eligibility.

UAH might be able to to sweep up some of the AK programs, better players especially now that they are getting more investment in the program, Not sure if the 7 schools will still leave the WCHA, or simply try to reform the league now that the AK schools are most likely down for the count.I do think you will see them start to put some pressure on Ferris state to invest more in there program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

UAH might be able to to sweep up some of the AK programs, better players especially now that they are getting more investment in the program, Not sure if the 7 schools will still leave the WCHA, or simply try to reform the league now that the AK schools are most likely down for the count.I do think you will see them start to put some pressure on Ferris state to invest more in there program.

I don't under stand why Ferris hasn't.  They needed to capitalize on their NCAA finals run at the end of the CCHA.  They could have been a force in college hockey if they really wanted to be but they seem to have let that pass them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like there is a proposal by the Alaskan Legislature to reinstate $110 million to the University in exchange for a dividend check of $1600 (I think right now it is set for $600).  People following it aren't sure which way the governor will go as he wants at least $3000 per person for dividend checks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seattle’s AHL team is going to be playing in a new 10k seat arena in Palm Springs. I’d say to far from USC and UCLA, but this could get both schools to think about hockey more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 10:42 AM, SiouxVolley said:

The UAF Chancellor came out with a statement that he strongly supports athletics.  UAA and UAF athletics could merge, so only one team would be eliminated.

https://news.uaf.edu/friday-focus-what-athletics-can-do/

That is possibility but I'm not sure, these budget cuts a pretty damn drastic, I think even if they manage to avoid completely cutting athletics, its going to hurt them for a long time to come, any of the top level players are going to look for other options, combine that with fact that the majority of teams are vacating the WCHA due to the AK teams and the lack of travel cost coverage and I think that that merging the programs may only delay the inevitable, unless all of a sudden a number of Pacific Northwest schools decide to add hockey, and the PAC-0 decides " Ya know instead of being like the big ten and pissing of the college hockey world, were going to show that we love college hockey's Mix of  Power 5, D1 and D2 schools and create two affiliate hockey conferences, on for the Pacific North West and one for the South West/ Cali" if they did that the travel costs for all schools would be much lower than the current arrangement and allow for more money to stay with the programs, also it might give the schools pause to cut what is probably the most expensive sport at both UAF and UAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

That is possibility but I'm not sure, these budget cuts a pretty damn drastic, I think even if they manage to avoid completely cutting athletics, its going to hurt them for a long time to come, any of the top level players are going to look for other options, combine that with fact that the majority of teams are vacating the WCHA due to the AK teams and the lack of travel cost coverage and I think that that merging the programs may only delay the inevitable, unless all of a sudden a number of Pacific Northwest schools decide to add hockey, and the PAC-0 decides " Ya know instead of being like the big ten and pissing of the college hockey world, were going to show that we love college hockey's Mix of  Power 5, D1 and D2 schools and create two affiliate hockey conferences, on for the Pacific North West and one for the South West/ Cali" if they did that the travel costs for all schools would be much lower than the current arrangement and allow for more money to stay with the programs, also it might give the schools pause to cut what is probably the most expensive sport at both UAF and UAA.

A DII must have two teams sports for both M/W per school and 10 total sports.  As they are at the lower limit, UAF and UAA can’t downsize unless they merge and disband  what are their half the duplicate programs.  Keeping separate means athletics goes away either by NCAA rule or finances.

UAF and UAA right now each have M Hockey, M/W basketball and volleyball and six individual sports.  They can’t save athletics barring a big donor or a merger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 4:55 PM, SiouxVolley said:

A DII must have two teams sports for both M/W per school and 10 total sports.  As they are at the lower limit, UAF and UAA can’t downsize unless they merge and disband  what are their half the duplicate programs.  Keeping separate means athletics goes away either by NCAA rule or finances.

UAF and UAA right now each have M Hockey, M/W basketball and volleyball and six individual sports.  They can’t save athletics barring a big donor or a merger.

Yay for NCAA rules making things worse!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Board of Regents voted to merge the three Alaska campuses.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/education/2019/07/30/university-leaders-meeting-in-anchorage-to-talk-budget-cuts-hear-from-dunleavy-administration/

Theoretically, UAF and UAA can still may separate sports teams, as it depends on those communities to fund them.  Penn St has a whole conference of satellite teams playing at a lower level even though they are all actually part of the College Station Penn State.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 6:54 PM, SiouxVolley said:

UAF and UAA will proceed semi-normally this fall as the merger will take several years.  Two hockey teams now,, but unknown for the future.

https://www.adn.com/sports/uaa-athletics/2019/08/02/as-university-of-alaska-moves-toward-consolidation-two-athletic-programs-are-likely-to-become-one/

 

Frankly I don't see hockey surviving even with a merge, the reality is that the they would be with out a conference and probably have reduced budget, which means either less money to offset travel costs for visiting teams or less money to put into scholarships and the program as a whole. Hopefully though they can keep hockey alive either at the club level or via the Canadian leagues, if there is still some structure there for college hockey I could see the program being resurrected if there is ever some sort of Pacific Northwest division, though it would likely depend greatly on AK financial situation. Pacific Northwest is perhaps one of the best new area's to push for hockey, but until it happens it going to be a struggle for Alaska.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Frankly I don't see hockey surviving even with a merge, the reality is that the they would be with out a conference and probably have reduced budget, which means either less money to offset travel costs for visiting teams or less money to put into scholarships and the program as a whole. Hopefully though they can keep hockey alive either at the club level or via the Canadian leagues, if there is still some structure there for college hockey I could see the program being resurrected if there is ever some sort of Pacific Northwest division, though it would likely depend greatly on AK financial situation. Pacific Northwest is perhaps one of the best new area's to push for hockey, but until it happens it going to be a struggle for Alaska.

They may just have to outlast their governor https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/455900-group-launches-effort-to-recall-alaska-governor?amp

To be clear. I'm not being political nor am I saying the governor was right or wrong. But people are mad at him. 

 

Funding issues aside, lacking a conference would hurt them. It'll be interesting to see what the New WCHA/CCHA does as I doubt they want to stay at 7. There will likely be a lot of conference shifting in the next few years. I'd be surprised if AK dropped hockey all together so i wouldn't be surprised to see them make a club team or join Canadian hockey if they fold their D1 teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2019 at 3:06 PM, Rebel_Sioux said:

They may just have to outlast their governor https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/455900-group-launches-effort-to-recall-alaska-governor?amp

To be clear. I'm not being political nor am I saying the governor was right or wrong. But people are mad at him. 

 

Funding issues aside, lacking a conference would hurt them. It'll be interesting to see what the New WCHA/CCHA does as I doubt they want to stay at 7. There will likely be a lot of conference shifting in the next few years. I'd be surprised if AK dropped hockey all together so i wouldn't be surprised to see them make a club team or join Canadian hockey if they fold their D1 teams.

If given the choice between UAH and a UAF/UAA combined team, my guess is UAH gets it. With the exception of very early into the new WCHA when UAF looked like it could establish itself as force within the league, all three teams have had similar records. On top of that UAH is looking at increasing its funding and build new facilities, strong indicators it is committed to hockey. Not to mention that the burden of travel to Huntsville, Al are far less than to Anchorage or Fairbanks. Even if the combined Alaska Schools manage to survive the budget issue and travel distances are going to hurt them long-term. As I said it’s a shame none of the Pac Northwest schools are adding hockey, that would be a huge lifeline to the program. So maybe the Washington and Oregon school can pull there thumbs out of there rears and elevate their club programs.

U-Wash, Wash State, Oregon, U-I Boise could all support hockey and already have successful club programs as well as usable facilities. Eastern Washington all ready has a team that competes in a Canadian league, I have also heard rumors that Portland University has a club team and given the area population and the lack of Pro-Teams, d-1 Hockey could be a huge boon to the university, Also it should be noted that Montana had a very successful club team for many years but it had to fold as the travel expenses were more than the self funded club could handle but with D-1 level Funding I could easily see Grizz Hockey being a hit on campus. It would only take five along with a unified AK team to start a conference.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

U-Wash, Wash State, Oregon, U-I Boise could all support hockey and already have successful club programs as well as usable facilities. 

I am actually surprised Boise has not had any rumblings about college hockey.

They have the arena, culture, premier state school, and close to Colorado Schools to save a little on travel cost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

If given the choice between UAH and a UAF/UAA combined team, my guess is UAH gets it. With the exception of very early into the new WCHA when UAF looked like it could establish itself as force within the league, all three teams have had similar records. On top of that UAH is looking at increasing its funding and build new facilities, strong indicators it is committed to hockey. Not to mention that the burden of travel to Huntsville, Al are far less than to Anchorage or Fairbanks. Even if the combined Alaska Schools manage to survive the budget issue and travel distances are going to hurt them long-term. As I said it’s a shame none of the Pac Northwest schools are adding hockey, that would be a huge lifeline to the program. So maybe the Washington and Oregon school can pull there thumbs out of there rears and elevate their club programs.

U-Wash, Wash State, Oregon, U-I Boise could all support hockey and already have successful club programs as well as usable facilities. Eastern Washington all ready has a team that competes in a Canadian league, I have also heard rumors that Portland University has a club team and given the area population and the lack of Pro-Teams, d-1 Hockey could be a huge boon to the university, Also it should be noted that Montana had a very successful club team for many years but it had to fold as the travel expenses were more than the self funded club could handle but with D-1 level Funding I could easily see Grizz Hockey being a hit on campus. It would only take five along with a unified AK team to start a conference.

There are no rinks in Pullman; Wazzu has to go to Idaho for hockey, and Moscow's rink is a dump. 

Portland is unfortunately stuck with a WHL team that doesn't care about local facilities. Fewest rinks per capita in the US, and the Winterhawks' practice sheet as well as their secondary venue are... well..... let's just say it's mind boggling Seth Jones wanted his rights traded to Portland.

Missoula has a nice rink but the school is in a financial mess after enrollment shrunk drastically over the past decade. The rink was also gutted by a scumbag former owner of the local juniors team.

UW, U of O and to a lesser extent Boise State should explore college hockey.

EDIT: having lived in two of the places discussed and having friends/family in all of the others, I know a lot about the locations mentioned. I'd love to see hockey grow in the region, and hopefully the rising tide from Seattle's expansion team lifts all the aforementioned ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

There are no rinks in Pullman; Wazzu has to go to Idaho for hockey, and Moscow's rink is a dump. 

Portland is unfortunately stuck with a WHL team that doesn't care about local facilities. Fewest rinks per capita in the US, and the Winterhawks' practice sheet as well as secondary venue are... well..... let's just say it's mind boggling Seth Jones wanted his rights traded to Portland.

Missoula has a nice rink but the school is in a financial mess after enrollment shrunk drastically over the past decade.

UW, U of O and to a lesser extent Boise State should explore college hockey.

Still even if only a few programs announce they are exploring hockey, it might be enough to encourage the legislature and the school to keep the program alive. I would actually say Boise is probably in a better position than U Wash and Oregon, There club team is already ACHA D2 that is very successful and has a partnership Century Link Center which also hosts the ECHL Idaho Steelheads, so they wouldn't need a lot of seed money to get the program started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ISt Thomas has hired a outfit that used to work on Gopher facilities to improve their own.  They have also hired Penn St hockey associates that help get Penn St’s hockey program going, but the Tommies have insisted that they keep their traps closed to the press.  A blurb on this is below:

https://www.twincities.com/2019/08/10/charley-walters-kyle-rudolph-says-vikings-have-learned-from-18-mistakes/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 7:43 AM, northernraider said:

I am actually surprised Boise has not had any rumblings about college hockey.

They have the arena, culture, premier state school, and close to Colorado Schools to save a little on travel cost. 

813 miles from Boise to Denver.  And that is the closest D1 hockey school. Not that close.

Tier 2 academically, not bad.  But, a bad reputation in the past had MWC schools question their invite.  Definatelt strong on athletics. 

Still, a westward expansion would be nice to see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...