SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cberkas

College Hockey Expansion

On 5/22/2020 at 6:53 PM, Siouxphan27 said:

I wonder if they were spaced 6 feet apart on the ice when they heard the news

No....  bama huntsville actually had some class in the execution of the program.

but to be fair... they actually had experience in cutting the program to learn from.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:56 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Really sad to hear this news...

6 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I wish them luck, but if saving a program relies on T-Shirt sales,might be time to put it down

That's along the lines of a debate happening on twitter.  What is stopping the UAH admin from taking all the proceeds of these fundraisers and then still just shuttering the program in a year when the WCHA folds?

6 hours ago, northernraider said:

I wish them luck, but if saving a program relies on T-Shirt sales,might be time to put it down

Didn’t this happen before and that’s how we got Saunders?  If you keep saving it for a year or two but continually lose your best players in the process, what is the point.

3 hours ago, tnt said:

Didn’t this happen before and that’s how we got Saunders?  If you keep saving it for a year or two but continually lose your best players in the process, what is the point.

I've been told about this southern hockey conference that I suppose to happen in about 2 years.

10 hours ago, keikla said:

That's along the lines of a debate happening on twitter.  What is stopping the UAH admin from taking all the proceeds of these fundraisers and then still just shuttering the program in a year when the WCHA folds?

They had actually resigned from the WCHA, so they weren't anticipating conference games.  UAF and UAA are extremely expensive conference travel games so it's almost admitting the program would be shutdown to save the bleeding.  If High Point, Liberty, and Lindenwood agree to start programs in two years there is at least possible 12 home and away games with double round robin scheding that are bussible when none before.

The WCHA  needed Arizona St, LIU and the Alaska's to continue as teams, and that isn't financially feasible without high travel budgets.  UAH knew that an unaffordable couple years were coming  and decided to cut the cord now and possibly bring it back like before.

Patrick Kane tweeted the UAH GoFundMe link. Should be interesting to see what that does to the number. I would guess a bunch of general hockey fans with no idea of context are about to throw their money at this.

UAH fundraisers met their 500k goal.  What that actually means remains to be seen.

5 hours ago, keikla said:

UAH fundraisers met their 500k goal.  What that actually means remains to be seen.

A one year stop gap for the program (for now) so they will play this season. What that means for the kids that already transferred, idk. I guess only part of the team comes back?

Suprised to see so much pessimism.  I think the hockey team will last longer at UAH than their volleyball coach AD.

5 hours ago, northernraider said:

And when the money runs out again next year?! 

Not trying to be political, but everyone loves budget cuts unless it's something they enjoy. Suddenly, it's sacred. 

UAH set out two stipulations before it accepted the gift;

A.  require the budget to have a meaningful philanthropic methods for subsequent fundraising, and B. have a conference by year five.  UAH considered those both met.  High Point, Liberty, Lindenwood must be preparing their skates.

• Upvote 1

I find it promising that people were willing to come together to fund what was important to them. I hope more schools will look at the option of a straightforward and honest funding campaigns like this one in the future. 

I've been seeing a fair number of tweets from players announcing their commitment to LIU.

On 6/5/2020 at 5:14 PM, northernraider said:

UConn is being forced to cut 25% or more of it's athletic budget, which will include cutting of teams. It appears both M&W ice hockey are safe, but nothing is known for sure until the final decision. Good article on how a squandered move from FCS to FBS played a factor 

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/26/uconn-football-sports-cuts

I'm going to go out on a limb and say their basketball teams are safe too.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Former Minn coach Lucia will likely become the CCHA commisioner.  Lucia was wants St Thomas in it's league.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/local_sports/lucia-named-ccha-commissioner/article_9ead7bd8-b0b8-11ea-9445-3bbeb33e9b91.amp.html

Never thought I would say this... Lucia has a great point here on St. Thomas

Now I am going to go throw up. 

• Upvote 1