SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

"Everything was done the right way [at Penn State]. It’s the model of how to start a program, and they’re proving they can be successful"

Jason Gonzalez has a point:   Penn State picked an autobid conference to join, and scheduled most of their non-conference games against the other autobid conference.  It is a model for a program to have a have a winning record with a pretty weak team. 

I agree.   So what that means is Arizona State will join the Big Ten.  ;)

I agree. So what that means is Arizona State will join the Big Ten. ;)

ASU brass: "OK, to make this work, we'll need a conference with some cupcake opponents, poor attendance at most home venues, and little-to-no attention paid to it by school administrations. Your thoughts?"

ASU AD: "So we're leaning towards Atlantic Hockey?"

The brass: "ATLANTIC HOCKEY? Hell no. We're talking Big Ten!"

• Upvote 1

ASU brass: "OK, to make this work, we'll need a conference with some cupcake opponents, poor attendance at most home venues, and little-to-no attention paid to it by school administrations. Your thoughts?"

ASU AD: "So we're leaning towards Atlantic Hockey?"

The brass: "ATLANTIC HOCKEY? Hell no. We're talking Big Ten!"

ASU AD:  [huge sigh of relief that they aren't going up against the titans of Atlantic Hockey] "Okay then.   Let's do it."

Phone rings.   It's U of Arizona AD.

Arizona AD:  "We were talking about this and just want to clarify that you're talking Big Ten ... if so, count us in."

I would appear that Arizona State is bound for the Big Ten Hockey Conference at the moment.  But lets be honest, if it wasn't for their name recognition and student/alumni base we wouldn't even be considering them in the first place, they honestly don't  bring anything to the table other than that.  I was leery of the NCHC at first, but the last two seasons has made me a believer that this conference can not only be a magnet to top recruits but can also spawn some of the best, heated games and rivalries in the sport (I include the NHL in that statement).  I like the idea of adding smaller schools who's athletic program and budget focuses primarily on hockey. These are the schools that will generate the best atmospheres, rivalries, and level of competition to attract the top end recruits.  Let the big schools play corporate hockey, no one will be watching.

I would appear that Arizona State is bound for the Big Ten Hockey Conference at the moment. But lets be honest, if it wasn't for their name recognition and student/alumni base we wouldn't even be considering them in the first place, they honestly don't bring anything to the table other than that. I was leery of the NCHC at first, but the last two seasons has made me a believer that this conference can not only be a magnet to top recruits but can also spawn some of the best, heated games and rivalries in the sport (I include the NHL in that statement). I like the idea of adding smaller schools who's athletic program and budget focuses primarily on hockey. These are the schools that will generate the best atmospheres, rivalries, and level of competition to attract the top end recruits. Let the big schools play corporate hockey, no one will be watching.

Agreed 100%. My wife was really upset when the conference split, but I was hopeful just because of the series I'd seen with Denver and with Omaha. I knew there would still be some heated games, not quite to gopher level yet, but I believe it will get there.

Agreed 100%. My wife was really upset when the conference split, but I was hopeful just because of the series I'd seen with Denver and with Omaha. I knew there would still be some heated games, not quite to gopher level yet, but I believe it will get there.

With that said, I know I will most likely come across as a hypocrite but I kind of like the idea of adding Notre Dame. Not for the name recognition, but because they have nice facilities, the ability to grow a supportive fan base, and last but not least, a bitter disdain for all things Big Ten.  It would be nice to see them on the schedule every year.

GFG thought it would be a "big surprise" if the Big Ten added ASU when I said dont be surprised.

I think it's definitely looking that way. But if they add ASU wouldn't they need to add one more team to even it out?  Normally I would have said Notre Dame would be the logical fit, but there's a lot of bad blood between the Irish and the Big Ten for that to happen.  Unless they can snag BC (which is doubtful) Im wondering if there is another Big 10 team about to add hockey?  

If they stay at seven, that's 24 conference games. 

If they stay at seven, that's one team looking for non-conference games (or running a bye week) in Jan, Feb, and Mar.

Well you know who'd want that nice March bye week, after all the WJC decimates their program every year.

With that said, I know I will most likely come across as a hypocrite but I kind of like the idea of adding Notre Dame. Not for the name recognition, but because they have nice facilities, the ability to grow a supportive fan base, and last but not least, a bitter disdain for all things Big Ten.  It would be nice to see them on the schedule every year.

The only reason I'd want to add Notre Dame is to take a road trip there, which isn't enough of a reason.  They've had plenty of time to build a fanbase but shown repeatedly that hardly anyone in South Bend cares about Notre Dame hockey. I agree completely that the NCHC should be all about schools who primarily focus on hockey and put a good portion of their resources to it.

The only reason I'd want to add Notre Dame is to take a road trip there, which isn't enough of a reason.  They've had plenty of time to build a fanbase but shown repeatedly that hardly anyone in South Bend cares about Notre Dame hockey. I agree completely that the NCHC should be all about schools who primarily focus on hockey and put a good portion of their resources to it.

With that said, should the NCHC be looking to kick out Western Michigan if they can't upgrade their facilities or attract more fans to games?  Im not a huge Bemidji fan, but they have shown a commitment to the sport that few other schools have.

If they stay at seven, that's 24 conference games.

If they stay at seven, that's one team looking for non-conference games (or running a bye week) in Jan, Feb, and Mar.

The B1G won't be at seven. They either add an existing school, or they add another PAC12 school, or they add UConn as an affiliate. UConn desperately wants to be part of a P5 conference, so affiliation would be a step in that direction. UConn hockey was upgraded IMHO to better appeal as a school to the B1G. UConn isn't an AAU school yet, but the state has that as a goal and their pumping major $s into UConn.

The B1G has made a big production out of Madison Square Garden B1G hockey games. UConn would take it to another level.

What happened to the majority of the promises they made during that impressive power point presentation to get into the league? They should have made them a probationary team.

Inchwriters.com/2015/02/24/realignment/

This link says WMU might go to a new CCHA pushed by Bowling Green. That would open a spot for Notre Dame in the NCHC.

A new CCHA?

Bowling Green

Ferris St

WMU

Mercyhurst

Robert Morris

Canisius

Niagara

Ill St ?

That would be a bus league for travel cost containment.

The WCHA can backfill with Simon Fraser and Lindenwood.

The AHA can backfill with Liberty, Navy, and URI.

Everybody is happier, except the UP schools.

This link says WMU might go to a new CCHA pushed by Bowling Green. That would open a spot for Notre Dame in the NCHC.

A new CCHA?

Bowling Green

Ferris St

WMU

Mercyhurst

Robert Morris

Canisius

Niagara

Ill St ?

Here's a article that's on CHN talking to the Ron Wilson head coach at RIT.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2015/03/13_rit,_atlantic_ready_for_future.php

Two things stood out in the article.

RIT is a Division III school "playing up" to Division I in one sport, hockey. The NCAA decided, in the early 2000s, that schools in that situation couldn't give athletic scholarships. It grandfathered in schools that had been doing it for a long time, like Clarkson and St. Lawrence. Union, when it joined D-I in 1991, chose not to give scholarships, and thus cannot do so now because it wasn't part of being grandfathered.

At the same time, the NCAA has a mortorium in place that prevents any other school from "playing up." That leaves only RIT and Union in a fairly unique situation.

From what I understand is that for a school to play NCAA D1 hockey now, they have to be a NCAA D1 school. There are NCAA D2 schools that are playing right now in NCAA D3 hockey pretty much as club teams. They can't play D1 and can't play in the D3 hockey post season.

The NCHC can benefit from the "big name" schools even if it might be a stepping stone to their main conference adding hockey. Schools like Arizona State might put money to hockey like Minnesota, Michigan, and Penn State.

Here's a article that's on CHN talking to the Ron Wilson head coach at RIT.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2015/03/13_rit,_atlantic_ready_for_future.php

Two things stood out in the article.

From what I understand is that for a school to play NCAA D1 hockey now, they have to be a NCAA D1 school. There are NCAA D2 schools that are playing right now in NCAA D3 hockey pretty much as club teams. They can't play D1 and can't play in the D3 hockey post season.

The NCHC can benefit from the "big name" schools even if it might be a stepping stone to their main conference adding hockey. Schools like Arizona State might put money to hockey like Minnesota, Michigan, and Penn State.

I took Wilson's comments to mean that a new CCHA is likely. "If people are talking about a new CCHA, we'll be receptive."

That's some serious smoke about a new CCHA. Where there's smoke, there will be fire.

RIT and Union can offer serious academic aid to any hockey player, except the very wealthy. Scholarships aren't the issue they appear to be for those schools. RIT has a $740 M endowment. Union has a $340 M endowment, for a college of only 2000 students. One DI sport isn't going to break their banks.

A DII can still opt up for hockey, but some don't like St Anshelm. A DIII school can not opt up anymore. IMHO, Simon Fraser, Lindenwood, and Minot St all moved to DII so they could opt up to DI in hockey. They are all nearly full DII members now, so the next couple of years could be telling.

I took Wilson's comments to mean that a new CCHA is likely. "If people are talking about a new CCHA, we'll be receptive."

That's some serious smoke about a new CCHA. Where there's smoke, there will be fire.

RIT and Union can offer serious academic aid to any hockey player, except the very wealthy. Scholarships aren't the issue they appear to be for those schools.

A DII can still opt up for hockey, but some don't like St Anshelm. A DIII school can not opt up anymore. IMHO, Simon Fraser, Lindenwood, and Minot St all moved to DII so they could opt up to DI in hockey. They are all nearly full DII members now, so the next couple of years could be telling.

I read some where (USCHO I think) that those D2 schools that play hockey in one of the D3 conferences in the East are stuck can't play up and can't play in a post season because of the NCAA rules.

I read some where (USCHO I think) that those D2 schools that play hockey in one of the D3 conferences in the East are stuck can't play up and can't play in a post season because of the NCAA rules.

They chose not to play up because its more expensive: pay more for coaching, scholarships, facilities etc. American International and Sacred Heart chose to opt up for the AHA. So could St Anshelm, Franklin Pierce, etc, but the AHA even has standards. St Anshelm has the rink for it but doesn't want to play up.

A new CCHA?

Bowling Green

Ferris St

WMU

Mercyhurst

Robert Morris

Canisius

Niagara

Ill St ?

Would WMU really volunteer to leave the best hockey conference in the nation to join that list of dregs?  True, they would be a good fit in that conference but I can't see their fan base being too happy about it, other than the opportunity to hit a few closer road games.  If we can't expand the NCHC with the right schools then I'm against expansion all together. 

Would WMU really volunteer to leave the best hockey conference in the nation to join that list of dregs?  

Are MSU-Mankato (PWR2) and Michigan Tech (PWR5) all that upset about being with the "dregs" in the WCHA right now? 

Are MSU-Mankato (PWR2) and Michigan Tech (PWR5) all that upset about being with the "dregs" in the WCHA right now? 

Lets be honest, would Mankato or Michigan Tech be rated so high if they played in the NCHC, especially after christmas? The truth will come out during the NCAA playoffs. I could be wrong but I have a feeling an NCHC team will be taking home the big prize this year.