SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

Don't think this will lead to a men's D-1 team. Idalski  can now stop being paid by UND an go run another women's hockey team.

Adam Wodon @CHN_AdamWodon
Follow Follow @CHN_AdamWodon
More

I got confirmation that LIU-Brooklyn is adding a D-I Women's hockey program for 2019-20 and is looking for a head coach - but has not publicized this fact, and doesn't plan to. Which is really weird IMO.

For the sake of their fledgling program I sure hope they pick a better coach than Idalski

This article says LIU Brooklyn will likely join the CHA, and Lindenwood women may move from the CHA to the WCHA.

https://www.theicegarden.com/2018/6/5/17428062/liu-brooklyn-add-ncaa-division-i-womens-hockey-program-in-2019-2020

LIU Brooklyn could start a men’s team and go to Atlantic Hockey.  Nassau County Coliseum is so much smaller seating capacity after its renovation and it needs lower level hockey teams.

Lindenwood could start a DI men’s ice hockey team too, as they already have a DI club team, and get a spot in the WCHA there too.  

31 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Would be good for the BTHC to get them to 8.  Also good to have another P5 school with hockey.  I hope it happens!!

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

For what he wants to do the downtown arena project wouldn't work.

Sounds like he wants to do a lot for other programs that need major upgrades before they add hockey.

20 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

This article says LIU Brooklyn will likely join the CHA, and Lindenwood women may move from the CHA to the WCHA.

https://www.theicegarden.com/2018/6/5/17428062/liu-brooklyn-add-ncaa-division-i-womens-hockey-program-in-2019-2020

LIU Brooklyn could start a men’s team and go to Atlantic Hockey.  Nassau County Coliseum is so much smaller seating capacity after its renovation and it needs lower level hockey teams.

Lindenwood could start a DI men’s ice hockey team too, as they already have a DI club team, and get a spot in the WCHA there too.  

Might want to look at the Kingsbridge Armory. 

Barclays Center is very close.

16 hours ago, cberkas said:

The arena is what they needed to finish the deal to get into the NCHC. 

I think it's safe to assume, yes. They will not get into the NCHC or the WCHA without a new arena. 

5 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

After visiting Scottsdale for the first time about a month ago, I'm all for ASU to the NCHC.  Will be a huge fan destination, similar to Denver.

Denver isn't so much a destination as a lot of alumni live here... Is Arizona a destination or an alumni base?

7 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Denver isn't so much a destination as a lot of alumni live here... Is Arizona a destination or an alumni base?

Both.  Guessing there are a lot of retirees there, but more of a destination do to the weather.  Who wouldn't want to fly down there during the winter?  Denver has a huge alumni base, but flights are also incredibly cheap and I would think that a lot of people from the twin cities travel there for games as well.

30 minutes ago, Goon said:

I think it's safe to assume, yes. They will not get into the NCHC or the WCHA without a new arena. 

WCHA would have taken them already but ASU had to pay for other teams travel costs.

16 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Was that the only issue with ASU joining?  Or was the NCHC reluctant to sign for other reasons?  

I’ll say that was a main issue. I never bought the ASU would weaken the NCHC strength of schedule. ASU would get the players to get better, CC has shown sign of improvement so has Western Michigan and Miami has had its ups and downs. 

10 minutes ago, cberkas said:

WCHA would have taken them already but ASU had to pay for other teams travel costs.

I’ll say that was a main issue. I never bought the ASU would weaken the NCHC strength of schedule. ASU would get the players to get better, CC has shown sign of improvement so has Western Michigan and Miami has had its ups and downs. 

I also never bought into the notion that St Cloud would water down the NCHC either.  I am all for taking ASU.  It is the  "National" Collegiate Hockey Conference after all.  So who will be the 10th team?  Mankato?  BGSU?  A school TBD that is adding hockey?

29 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I also never bought into the notion that St Cloud would water down the NCHC either.  I am all for taking ASU.  It is the  "National" Collegiate Hockey Conference after all.  So who will be the 10th team?  Mankato?  BGSU?  A school TBD that is adding hockey?

Mankato wants in, but I wouldn't be surprised to see BGSU try to move to the NCHC.

There could be the possibility of a school like UNLV adding hockey and wanting into the NCHC with ASU. 

If Mankato moved to the NCHC, how would that impact Bemidji and the WCHA?  For whatever reason, I'm fearful for Bemidji.  Is Bemidji's program sustainable if Mankato were to leave the WCHA or if there was a WCHA shakeup?

42 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Mankato wants in, but I wouldn't be surprised to see BGSU try to move to the NCHC.

There could be the possibility of a school like UNLV adding hockey and wanting into the NCHC with ASU. 

Road trips to Tempe and Las Vegas when the weather in Grand Forks is -10....yeah, I think people would be in favor of this!!! ;)

• Upvote 3