SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

4 hours ago, cberkas said:

Iowa is getting that new arena that is finally getting built. 

I’ve heard The Hilton Colosseum at Iowa State can make ice.

My bad, your right. Iowa is building the new arena. My son lives in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and grandson plays hockey there. They have a fine arena. He claims "hockey is mostly popular with imigrants to the state, the locals do not have much time for it.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:28 AM, jdub27 said:

I won't even bother getting into the other ones because you think Illinois State is going to add hockey? They are broke as a joke and already subsidize their athletic department at almost $20 million/year and the state is slashing funding. But it's just a matter of time.... :lol:

I'm apparently more well read on the Illinois higher ed situation.  The directional Illinois schools have seen massive cuts, but the big three of Illinois, Illinois St, and Ill-Chicago have experienced minimal disruptions because of more varied funding sources.

Illinois still has major issues, brought about by high taxes.  It is the only state that is projected to lose two congressional seat's with the upcoming census.  Moving vans are busy there.

57 minutes ago, DenverDevil said:

We, ASU, just announced the plans to build our on campus Hockey arena. It will be between 4,300 and 5,000 seats and house Hockey, wrestling and gymnastics and will connect via a sky bridge to our basketball arena which will be refurbished as well. Still hearing that ASU is looking at the NCHC for their eventual conference.

Arizona State's new Hockey Arena

Congrats!  This is great news for ASU hockey.  Really want to see UND schedule you guys so I can make my way down there. 

2 hours ago, DenverDevil said:

We, ASU, just announced the plans to build our on campus Hockey arena. It will be between 4,300 and 5,000 seats and house Hockey, wrestling and gymnastics and will connect via a sky bridge to our basketball arena which will be refurbished as well. Still hearing that ASU is looking at the NCHC for their eventual conference.

Congrats on the new arena, assuming the Board approves it.

Seen talk in the East Valley Tribune that Sun Devil Stadium is interested in hosting hockey games in the winter.  UND would be a good opponent for attracting fans.

Suspect UND, Denver, and CC will be pushing for Sun Devil NCHC membership as soon as the season it is built.

13 hours ago, DenverDevil said:

Hope this happens quickly and they can join the NCHC, I would probably not miss an away game in AZ. Any excuse to get a hockey/golf trip in during a ND winter would be great!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Hope this happens quickly and they can join the NCHC, I would probably not miss an away game in AZ. Any excuse to get a hockey/golf trip in during a ND winter would be great!

Unless they also replace the amateur coaching staff I say steer clear.

6 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

So assuming ASU joins the NCHC, who would be the tenth team? I think it’s safe to assume the conference would not find it ideal to roll with an odd number of teams. 

UNLV has a shot if it starts hockey soon.  But two more western teams would really irk WMU and Miami.  Mankato is the fall back school.

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

So assuming ASU joins the NCHC, who would be the tenth team? I think it’s safe to assume the conference would not find it ideal to roll with an odd number of teams. 

I honestly don't think ASU will join the NCHC, having a legit facility was one of the big issues, but I think the lack of quality coaching was another sticking point for the NCHC, if ASU wants in the current staff will need to be replaced with more experienced personnel.  Now IF UNLV manages to go D-1 and get a good staff together right away they have a better shot at getting in as the Old Las Vegas Wranglers(ECHL) arena is about 5 mins from campus and its only been few years since the team folded, a small renovation and it could easily become the home of rebel hockey, and to top it off maybe they could get Gwozdecky to coach, I mean that's pretty tempting offer "Hey how'd you like to coach a New D-1 team in Las Vegas?" - also, there had better be $5 lobster rolls at the arena. But the more realistic bet is on Minnesota State University, they applied and have the desire to commit. Bowling Green would be a better option in terms of placating WMU and Miami but I don't think BGSU is really that interested, NCHC would mean more trips to Minnesota than they already take, and they would have to get in a plane more often than they already do but with no travel stipend money. And actually, after doing a little research I can say that if expansion was UNLV and ASU I would have a hard time seeing a scenario were Miami and WMU don't move, at least from a travel cost perspective. These schools are already pretty stretched as far as travel goes and adding two more plane trips might be the straw that breaks the camels back. Even with a 2 million dollar buyout, these schools might take the shot in the foot to save on the long-term travel expenses.

Ariz St can select a dog catcher as their next coach and that won't matter.  Any P5 school in the West will almost automatically be invited as long as they have a 4000 seat arena.

Miami and WMU will be given vastly reduced exit fees if new teams arent to their liking.  The exit fees were put in place to avoid a Big Ten raid and to avoid adding Bemidji St or Upper Peninsula teams.

11 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Ariz St can select a dog catcher as their next coach and that won't matter.  Any P5 school in the West will almost automatically be invited as long as they have a 4000 seat arena.

Miami and WMU will be given vastly reduced exit fees if new teams arent to their liking.  The exit fees were put in place to avoid a Big Ten raid and to avoid adding Bemidji St or Upper Peninsula teams.

No, they won't receive reduced exit fees.  The exit fees were put in place because the NCHC saw how easily teams left the WCHA.  When you're starting a new conference, if there are some struggles early-on, you don't want teams looking for an easy exit.  WMU and Miami won't be leaving anytime soon.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what is taking the big pig10 so long to offer und an aff hockey membership...is kennedy holding out for 5 million a year?

Whose to say that the B1Ghky has not offered us an affiliate membership when the other ND was plucked from a league out east.  Our President would console with AD in that situation. Faison would of been a strong opponent of that proposal. The NCHC was his pride and joy, he made sure it would also be tough to get out of the NCHC.

Semi off topic but I watched a 20/20 special on Larry Nassar last night (taped delay from Sunday) and I don't see how Michigan State isn't going to be penalized. How would that affect their hockey team? I guess we'd have to wait and see what the penalty is...

35 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Semi off topic but I watched a 20/20 special on Larry Nassar last night (taped delay from Sunday) and I don't see how Michigan State isn't going to be penalized. How would that affect their hockey team? I guess we'd have to wait and see what the penalty is...

Would it matter much if your in the bottom half of the teams in the country?

30 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Whose to say that the B1Ghky has not offered us an affiliate membership when the other ND was plucked from a league out east.  Our President would console with AD in that situation. Faison would of been a strong opponent of that proposal. The NCHC was his pride and joy, he made sure it would also be tough to get out of the NCHC.

all could be true...will see what kennedy does or doesn't do when it comes to "think big" which some people don't want to do or didn't want to do (roger thomas)

10 hours ago, WiSioux said:

The MSU Athletic (and general) Administration is the problem. The must've gone to the Penn State School of Handing Sexual Predators. 

I'm not sure how the MSU Hockey team would be impacted unless their coaching staff had direct knowledge of impropriety (sexual or otherwise) within the department and did nothing.

That said, if they did know Nassar was abusing his patients (the most vile thing a physician can do, "do no harm" ring any bells?) they should be punished as criminal accessories aiding and abetting. Yes, I said criminal. < bleep > the NCAA. They are a non-judicial, extra-judicial body. They have no real power. They grandstand and make noise. They aren't the law. They have no subpoena power; they have no power to criminalize and/or incarcerate anyone. 

If people at MSU broke the law let them face the law. 

Frankly, the law should investigate what the NCAA knew about the matter and when they knew it. (See prior statements above about aiding and abetting.) 

• Upvote 2