SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

14 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I wouldn't say I have good knowledge on hockey conferences.

The problem I see with the B1G is, what happens to an non-B1G school when a B1G school adds hockey? If two more B1G schools add hockey does Notre Dame get kicked out? The whole B1G will add Duluth or Omaha thing that started this talk again last time was probably said to get UND to play it's hand. Then there is the gamble to see if UND can get BTN money. Is the risk to get nothing from BTN worth being in the B1G? Right now the NCHC is strong, B1G isn't pulling away like most people thought they would. For me there is only 3 teams in the B1G i'd care to play Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Michigan doesn't want to play UND and the rest of the B1G are not that exciting to play against. 

Is it possible the power5  or whatever there called breaks off forms there own playoff system for all sports and UND is not competing at the highest level?

4 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I wouldn't say I have good knowledge on hockey conferences.

The problem I see with the B1G is, what happens to an non-B1G school when a B1G school adds hockey? If two more B1G schools add hockey does Notre Dame get kicked out? The whole B1G will add Duluth or Omaha thing that started this talk again last time was probably said to get UND to play it's hand. Then there is the gamble to see if UND can get BTN money. Is the risk to get nothing from BTN worth being in the B1G? Right now the NCHC is strong, B1G isn't pulling away like most people thought they would. For me there is only 3 teams in the B1G i'd care to play Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Michigan doesn't want to play UND and the rest of the B1G are not that exciting to play against. 

I would also like to play those 3 every year in conference.

Let's say for sake of argument these three equal these next 3 NCHC teams.

MN Wisc Mich    say equal      Duluth Denver StCloud

Then the last four teams comparison:

Notre Dame vs    Omaha

Penn St        vs     Miami

Ohio St        vs       CC

Mich St       vs      W Mich

I would rather play the team in the left column over the team in the right column every year. 

3 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I would also like to play those 3 every year in conference.

Let's say for sake of argument these three equal these next 3 NCHC teams.

MN Wisc Mich    say equal      Duluth Denver StCloud

Then the last four teams comparison:

Notre Dame vs    Omaha

Penn St        vs     Miami

Ohio St        vs       CC

Mich St       vs      W Mich

I would rather play the team in the left column over the team in the right column every year. 

I'm with you. What did you Mother say about the company you keep 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, moser53 said:

Is it possible the power5  or whatever there called breaks off forms there own playoff system for all sports and UND is not competing at the highest level?

That's more of a football thing, the power 5 needs mid-majors for basketball.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The local paper, the Bowling Green Sentinel Tribune had a big article.

Not really sure how they would recreate the CCHA without recreating the old WCHA, Let's say that Oakland Adds hockey. if you Took just D1 squads you would have Western, Miami, Ferris, BGSU and Oakland in a 5 Team conference, They would need to add at least one D2 school to get to 6 teams, So realistically they would probably extend an invite to Tech, Northern, and LSSU. The NCHC would need to add two teams to replace Miami and Western, personally, I would say that Minnesota State and Bemidji Fit the bill,   So the NCHC would essentially just become the Old WCHA minus Anchorage and Tech and of course the Big10 a-holes.  Then that leaves UAH, UAA, and UAF twisting in the wind as independents. I think that UAA and UAF could maybe withstand that, Especially if some schools in the Pacific Northwest explore adding hockey if Washington, Oregon and Idaho schools eventually add hockey the Alaska schools would have a bit more sane travel schedule. As for UAH I'm not sure the could survive losing their conference a 2nd time, They would likely fold unless some serious magic happens and a bunch of southern schools decides to add hockey. As for ASU hockey, I will say this, when I see an arena, a more competent coaching staff, and the kind of training facilities that are on par with NCHC institutions then I will take them more seriously until then they are not a good add for the NCHC.

2 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Not really sure how they would recreate the CCHA without recreating the old WCHA, Let's say that Oakland Adds hockey. if you Took just D1 squads you would have Western, Miami, Ferris, BGSU and Oakland in a 5 Team conference, They would need to add at least one D2 school to get to 6 teams, So realistically they would probably extend an invite to Tech, Northern, and LSSU. The NCHC would need to add two teams to replace Miami and Western, personally, I would say that Minnesota State and Bemidji Fit the bill,   So the NCHC would essentially just become the Old WCHA minus Anchorage and Tech and of course the Big10 a-holes.  Then that leaves UAH, UAA, and UAF twisting in the wind as independents. I think that UAA and UAF could maybe withstand that, Especially if some schools in the Pacific Northwest explore adding hockey if Washington, Oregon and Idaho schools eventually add hockey the Alaska schools would have a bit more sane travel schedule. As for UAH I'm not sure the could survive losing their conference a 2nd time, They would likely fold unless some serious magic happens and a bunch of southern schools decides to add hockey. As for ASU hockey, I will say this, when I see an arena, a more competent coaching staff, and the kind of training facilities that are on par with NCHC institutions then I will take them more seriously until then they are not a good add for the NCHC.

Ferris State is a DII school.

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Whoops, but that just kinda proves the point, there is no way to have new CCHAwithout adding D2 teams to the league.

No it doesn't.  Canisius, Niagara, and Robert Morris are all DI, have DI hockey, and want to make it shine more in a CCHA  But those schools don't have enough oomph yet to make it go.  Oakland would be start, Buffalo would add significant fuel, and Pitt would make it blast off.

19 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

No it doesn't.  Canisius, Niagara, and Robert Morris are all DI, have DI hockey, and want to make it shine more in a CCHA  But those schools don't have enough oomph yet a to make it go.  Oakland would be start, Buffalo would add significant fuel, and Pitt would make it blast off.

Still, you are counting on  - WMU and Miami Leaving the NCHC.. and with a 2 mil buyout I don't see that happening.

And then you are counting on two other schools adding one of if not the most expensive start up sport in college sports. I could happen but it will take years.

Or, Three teams from atlantic Hockey defecting to join a Conferance in Michigan.

First if  you get Those three to join, then it isn't really the CCHA, the purpose of the CCHA was to put all the michigan teams and the few from ohio and Indiana in the same leauge to reduce travel costs and foster rivialries with local opponents. They aren't saving any money andtravel costs and they are getting an even more underpowered leauge.  You're also basing this all on an article from a few years ago, which I haven't seen but its very likely that few things have changed since then.

More likely that you will see both the NCHC and WCHA try to compete to add Oakland if they join. the WCHA is convinced that rapid expansion is the best anwser, I don't agree as I think the leauge would have been better off staying at nine teams and not add UAH. But the WCHA still has a dream of creating two divisions if they get up twelve or more teams so we would probably see them try to do that and make another offer to ASU. THe NCHC would want them to appease WMU and Miami, and then try to poach another team off the WCHA or if ASU has gotten it's act together try to add ASU.

17 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Bowling Green wants badly out the WCHA because it's embarrassing to their administrators to be in a league of DII schools.  Hockey fans don't notice, but Presidents cringe at the thought.  Miami and WMU would move over if a new CCHA could nab a Pitt or Syracuse, because they can't stand the thought of having future NCHC teams three time zones away like Ariz St.

Yet BGSU didn't apply for the NCHC when they were approached about putting in an application when Mankato was sending in theirs.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Yet BGSU didn't apply for the NCHC when they were approached about putting in an application when Mankato was sending in theirs.

And it hasn't applied for the Hockey East vacancy when Notre Dame left either, though that's miles closer. :silly:  The admin know what is possible and they don't waste time on what will not be approved.

A CCHA of BGSU, Robert Morris, Niagara, Canisius, Mercyhurst and a sixth them will form when a school close to Lake Erie starts hockey.  Oakland, Buffalo, Pitt or Syracuse.

This article says Oakland U did a DI hockey study 20 years ago when the school was DII and a member of the GLIAC.  Apparently, they went DI shortly thereafter and must have decided taking hockey up would have been too much to chew on.  Oakland U is in Auburn Hills, which has many corporate headquarters and is the home of the Palace of Auburn Hills.

http://oaklandpostonline.com/18828/looking-back-oaklands-first-hockey-study/

At the time, the CCHA had limited openings, as Omaha took Ill-Chicago's place and the men's CHA was always a very shaky conference.  Now there are actual choices of conferences which may be open to a new school.

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Does anyone know why the Navy does have a hockey team. Army and Air Force have one, why not Navy?

Not sure, but they did waste $600 million to keep a aircraft carrier around for 4 more years just to decommission it within a year.

They will have an outdoor game at the academy this season. 

1 hour ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

They don't want to pay for one. Seems like they should have one though. 

Past reasons for not sponsoring hockey are:

1.  It not so popular in Maryland to begin with, so support would be bad.  With the Capitals and hockey growth among the youth, probably not so valid now.  West Point and Colo Springs are much more natural spots for hockey.

2.  They would have to recruit players that want a military career and have excellent academics.  Cuts out Canadian players and much of Americans.  They would be effectively be recruiting against Army and Air Force for players, hurting both those programs.

3.  Their McMullen Arena only has seating on one side.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Good question.

UND students have a pregame chant all ready to go...WHO'S HE?, HE SUCKS SHIP!

Their team would likely have seven C's.

And the goalie mask possibilities are endless:

51t3KqE0jLL._SX385_.jpg.4e681c96767af0d4e1a270bd1f67e439.jpg

Isn't that Tom Kazanski's helmet?  I saw him on SNL a while back...;)

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=snl+top+gun+skit+iceman#action=view&id=1&vid=40c7a9a7d628ecdf1a115fca384bae71

26 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Liberty signed a one year deal with ESPN to show their home games on ESPN3.

https://www.liberty.edu/campusrec/clubsports/index.cfm?PID=25954&NewsID=2164&TeamID

Liberty should just come out and say they are adding hockey.

A cool video of Georgia putting their rink in a ballroom.

http://ugahockey.com/?p=11598

Liberty probably won't move up until Atlantic Hockey actually invites them.

Georgia could play games in the Gwinnett Coliseum, which has hosted ECHL teams and less than an hour from Athens.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Liberty probably won't move up until Atlantic Hockey actually invites them.

Georgia could play games in the Gwinnett Coliseum, which has hosted ECHL teams and less than an hour from Athens.

Liberty can add hockey without an invite. If Liberty adds hockey makes a TV deal with ESPN they would look very enticing to the B1G, with them having a TV deal that the B1G doesn't have to share BTN money with Liberty. Liberty might want the ECAC over Atlantic Hockey. Liberty has bought every hockey team they have the same brand new jerseys and now a deal with ESPN3. Something big is coming next from there.

Looked like Georgia would rather play in Athens then anywhere else.

12 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Liberty can add hockey without an invite. If Liberty adds hockey makes a TV deal with ESPN they would look very enticing to the B1G, with them having a TV deal that the B1G doesn't have to share BTN money with Liberty. Liberty might want the ECAC over Atlantic Hockey. Liberty has bought every hockey team they have the same brand new jerseys and now a deal with ESPN3. Something big is coming next from there.

Looked like Georgia would rather play in Athens then anywhere else.

The Ivy contingent of the ECAC would flatly oppose a Lberty invite.  If they stated their own league, maybe a new ECaC would invite them.   Without a hockey conference, Liberty would struggle with scheduling.

Georgia needs a place on campus to practice.  Gwinnet is the mecca for hockey and people near UGa.  Gwinnet UGA hockey would be like Penn St quickly.