SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

12 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

bet the ad at minny and all the others in the big 10 with half empty arenas saw how quickly the und/um tickets sold...faison still playing hardball with the big10...just waiting them out.

Illinois will have a D-1 team announced by the end of the decade. B1G doesn't need us. We're fine in the NDHC.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Maryland's fate is like Oregon, all it takes is Under Armour (or in the Ducks' case, Nike) wanting a team and it'll happen.  Does UA own a hockey brand a la Nike/Bauer or Adidas/Reebok?  Some East coast college hockey teams have UA jerseys. BC is the only one I can think of.

BC and Wisconsin are the only teams that I can think of that wear UA jerseys. BU wears New Balance jerseys.

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Illinois will have a D-1 team announced by the end of the decade. B1G doesn't need us. We're fine in the NDHC.

illinois won't even be a state in ten years...they are broke and getting broker every day they don't pay down their debt...adding anohter sport no matter how rich the big 10 won't be happening in that state for a long time.  roads>men's hockey

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

illinois won't even be a state in ten years...they are broke and getting broker every day they don't pay down their debt...adding anohter sport no matter how rich the big 10 won't be happening in that state for a long time.  roads>men's hockey

You been to Illinois?  They charge you drive on the roads there.  Had to get me an I-Pass cause I got tired of having to pull over to the cash section of the toll booth.  The roads are about the only thing that is paid for in that state.

3 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

We kind of set the ship out to sail when our ladies joined other teams.

45 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

What does that have to do with anything?

IMO, Our Athelectic Department's finances and dropping WH just decreased our chances.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

You been to Illinois?  They charge you drive on the roads there.  Had to get me an I-Pass cause I got tired of having to pull over to the cash section of the toll booth.  The roads are about the only thing that is paid for in that state.

roads was a generic term for basic state functions...and yes i was in moline last may...roads were horrible.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I mean... that's a little dramatic, isn't it? :lol:

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

And my question was why would dropping WH have any effect on the MH conference affiliation?

I made this coment on here before, when we developed our financial woes and dropped women's hockey and other sports, that hurt our chances of getting into the B1G, if there ever were any. They might want financially strong Athlectic Departments, not those cutting sports. Also, WH has the potential to go to the B1G someday, I always considered that a plus. 

I threw the towel in on the B1G idea that day, but who knows?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I mean... that's a little dramatic, isn't it? :lol:

yes...point is some of these states don't want to fess up to the fact they  are broke...right now broke. but keep kicking the can to the next person to fix and sooner than later someone has to pay the bills and when the time comes it will be ugly and the last thing that will happen is adding a "fringe" sport like hockey at ui. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yes...point is some of these states don't want to fess up to the fact they  are broke...right now broke. but keep kicking the can to the next person to fix and sooner than later someone has to pay the bills and when the time comes it will be ugly and the last thing that will happen is adding a "fringe" sport like hockey at ui. 

giphy.webp

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I made this coment on here before, when we developed our financial woes and dropped women's hockey and other sports, that hurt our chances of getting into the B1G, if there ever were any. They might want financially strong Athlectic Departments, not those cutting sports. Also, WH has the potential to go to the B1G someday, I always considered that a plus. 

I threw the towel in on the B1G idea that day, but who knows?

Even the Michigan's, with their huge endowments, steer clear of WIH.  The B1G certainly doesn't want it for its TV value, as it would be a zero on the B1G Network.  Think WIH is dead to the B1G thinking, except to Minnie, Wisconsin and PSU.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

They aren't the only state with public pension funding issues, just the foremost example. But the money for their team will be private donations anyways. 

2 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

They aren't the only state with public pension funding issues, just the foremost example. But the money for their team will be private donations anyways. 

agree on most of this but if you suck at the core sports why would you add hockey?

illinois football-never heard of you

13 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

agree on most of this but if you suck at the core sports why would you add hockey?

illinois football-never heard of you

Penn St has been absolutely pathetic at basketball, but yet excels at volleyball and, maybe, hockey.  The attendance for those two are among national leaders.  Hockey fills a winning niche in Happy Valley in the winter.

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

This is close to the truth. They may still be a state but it will probably be bankrupt. Their public employee pension obligation is the worse funded in the country. When you have high school teachers getting $100K + pensions the payments can't be sustained. The pension system can't be changed because it is not allowed by the state constitution that was added to it decades ago. It will be a rude awakening in 10 years when there won't be enough money for pension payments. The unions will will be crying that money isn't there but have done nothing to help resolve the problem. The public schools barely opened this year because the legislature couldn't agree on funding it.

There's no such thing as cutting state expenses in Illinois like in North Dakota, Illinois just raises taxes. Sales taxes, sugar in soda taxes & especially property taxes are outrageous. The reason I moved out of that screwed up state when I retired was I couldn't see paying $700/ month property taxes to live in my own house.

One of these years the people will wake up &  vote out the democratic legislature that has totally screwed up the state. It will be tough to do because most state workers are unionized & union influence on the legislature has the democrats entrenched in the government.

The last thing Illinois needs is a expensive sport to start up when the other problems are so extensive.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Arizona's season tickets cost $234 for lower bowl and $198 for upper bowl. Their 10 game season tickets are $130 and $110. To me that a bit high for a club team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Liberty finally went D1. They just bought all 5 of their club teams the same home and away jerseys (they look really good).

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Columbus has a strong emerging youth hockey program that's sent players to the NHL since the Blue Jackets arrived, but Ohio St has ignored local talent but Miami has relatively prospered.

http://theathletic.com/95646/2017/09/07/portzline-ohio-state-has-missed-out-on-columbus-boom-in-hockey-talent/ 

It sounds like Ohio State thinks they can get these kids just because they are Ohio State.

To bad Ohio isn't still in the NCAA D1, because they could have done what Miami is doing in Columbus. 

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Columbus has a strong emerging youth hockey program that's sent players to the NHL since the Blue Jackets arrived, but Ohio St has ignored local talent but Miami has relatively prospered.

http://theathletic.com/95646/2017/09/07/portzline-ohio-state-has-missed-out-on-columbus-boom-in-hockey-talent/ 

One of the more interesting college hockey articles I've read in a while. Love that it makes a big10 team look terrible while building up an NCHC one.

• Like 1

Often thought that some Ohio MAC schools could resurrect hockey or start it, and Horizon League schools like Wright St and Cleveland St that would draw well for hockey, it's both cheaper than the NHL for attendees, had a lot of minor league teams that drew ok, and Ohio residents are for the most part open to it, but they seem more interested in lacrosse because it's much cheaper.  Kent St started women's lacrosse and Cleveland St started both M&W lax.  Wright St actually has an on campus practice arena and a nice venue to play in in Dayton.  Understand that those options aren't so viable for Cleveland St, Ohio, and Kent St.  Toledo has facilities in the city that would work.  Akron doesn't to my knowledge but hockey would probably go over well there.

Edited by SiouxVolley

The problem the BigTen has, at least as I see it, is they basically went into the college hockey game like a bull in a china shop, and they didn't really plan for the long term. When PSU  joined the smarter move would have been to try and move slowly toward a big ten hockey conference, Start with a Bigten invite tourney with four of the teams competing, then maybe encourage Bigten conference member to schedule at least 2 or 4 of their nonconference match ups against big ten conference opponents.  Then maybe, you'd start to re-establish old rivalry from the old old WCHA, Before the Michigans and Ohio State joined the CCHA, then maybe people would start to wonder about a big ten Hockey conference. But they didn't and now big ten members, except Penn State, have lower attendance than in their previous conferences.

I think a better move for other conferences, like the PAC10, would be to create a semi independent conference, MVFC is to MVC, this way schools in said conference that want to add hockey have a home which they can go to, but the conference can look to other non-member schools to bolster its ranks. Though in fairness i am not sure that the NCAA would go for it, the NCAA seems more concerned about being a bureaucratic monolith and milking money out of schools rather than trying to make it easier for schools to add sports.

• Upvote 1