SiouxSports.com Forum

Keep it "North Dakota"

CMSioux

You're right, we will never have a name this great again and that's exactly why we stay 'just' North Dakota. I'm really looking forward to getting my new Screaming Weasels/Sundogs/Spirit/Freeze T-shirt and cap to represent UND, though...:(

While you wear that, I will wear that cap along with my Fighting Sioux shirt. ;)

• Upvote 1

I'm waiting for the NCAA to see through this "no moniker" obfuscation for what it is: it's a way to keep saying the old moniker. 

I'm waiting for the day the NCAA sends a letter that says,

"By not selecting a new moniker you're facilitating and perpetuating use of the old moniker; thus, you are in reality allowing usage of the old moniker. A 'no moniker' solution is not acceptable to the NCAA and as of now you are under sanction until you define your new moniker." 

Wild? Crazy? Impossible? Uh, that's how we got here. 

To that, I would ask for clear language to that effect in their policy and in the surrender agreement and I would ask why, if this is the case, we have not been subject to sanctions the last 3 years irrespective of what the legislature/Governor mandated.  I would also clarify for them that not using anything at all is not perpetuating or facilitating anything.  I would also clarify that they amended the surrender agreement to allow retention of some imagery in the Ralph and that the Ralph and other stores (I think) in the GF area probably purchased about 100 Million worth of "Fighting Sioux" stuff that they continue to sell and will continue to sell for the next several years.  The school/Ralph have already actively, according to this standard, promoted and facilitated the use of the "Fighting Sioux" nickname and logo and there's not been any problems with it.  They wanted the nickname and moniker gone off of uniforms, hockey sticks, ice rinks, etc.; they're gone.  UND is not mind-washing people or facilitating anything by doing nothing.

• Upvote 2

Syracuse going from Orangemen to Orange is in no way, shape or form comparable to our situation. Syracuse is more comparable to Miami (OH) going from Redskins to Redhawks than it is for UND going from Fighting Sioux to "Green and White". And no, I was comparing GFC to UND, not to Syracuse. Nice try, though.

I brought up Syracuse . you responded by bringing up Grand Forks central. I was not comparing the similarities of the previous nickname, I was merely pointing out that it's possible to thrive with colors being your nickname

By having no nickname UND would be essentially encouraging the use of the old one. Plain and simple.

They will get a new name.... And you folks will complain... And then you'll get over it and come up with new cheers and what not.

By having no nickname UND would be essentially encouraging the use of the old one. Plain and simple.

They will get a new name.... And you folks will complain... And then you'll get over it and come up with new cheers and what not.

Will FU fans come up with new ones or stick to the same ones that continue to constantly pop up at games even when UND isn't the opponent?

thanks for your valuable insight Bison-boy

Will FU fans come up with new ones or stick to the same ones that continue to constantly pop up at games even when UND isn't the opponent?

I won't be in school anymore and probably won't be at games to let you know the results...

Seriously, If the University of North Dakota takes this line of thinking we will end up with a stupid nickname like Sun Dogs.

Seriously, If the University of North Dakota takes this line of thinking we will end up with a stupid nickname like Sun Dogs.

Exactly. The community is not ready for a new nickname, therefore they should go about finding a new one very carefully and well thought out. Gershman's article was spot on.

• Upvote 2

I totally agree with keeping it just "North Dakota" without any new nickname or logo.  However, I do have a way of making this a compromise.  In the theme of keeping it just "North Dakota", we could adopt a mascot like a Theodore Roosevelt character to play on the theme of North Dakota as the "Roughrider State", but adopt no nickname or logo.  That would take care of the NCAA nonsense.  Hey, the Washington National's have a president race using caricatures during inning breaks, so how can that be bad.  Keeping with the inclusive nature of the progressive movement going on, if folks wanted to wear a roughrider outfit, meadowlark, or wild prairie rose's on an outfit to the game to celebrate us as just "North Dakota", that would be their choice and who are we to decide what folks want to wear.   If folks want to wear jersey's with any Sioux logo, or yell "Sioux" at the end of our national anthem, who can argue that they are just being inclusive.  The Sioux are indeed a great and proud part of North Dakota, and who in all of their progressive little mind would deny somebody as being excluded like the great American Indian or Native American heritage of the great state of North Dakota.

I think this is a great way to make sure everyone is satisfied and we can move on.

• Upvote 2

I totally agree with keeping it just "North Dakota" without any new nickname or logo. However, I do have a way of making this a compromise. In the theme of keeping it just "North Dakota", we could adopt a mascot like a Theodore Roosevelt character to play on the theme of North Dakota as the "Roughrider State", but adopt no nickname or logo. That would take care of the NCAA nonsense. Hey, the Washington National's have a president race using caricatures during inning breaks, so how can that be bad. Keeping with the inclusive nature of the progressive movement going on, if folks wanted to wear a roughrider outfit, meadowlark, or wild prairie rose's on an outfit to the game to celebrate us as just "North Dakota", that would be their choice and who are we to decide what folks want to wear. If folks want to wear jersey's with any Sioux logo, or yell "Sioux" at the end of our national anthem, who can argue that they are just being inclusive. The Sioux are indeed a great and proud part of North Dakota, and who in all of their progressive little mind would deny somebody as being excluded like the great American Indian or Native American heritage of the great state of North Dakota.

I think this is a great way to make sure everyone is satisfied and we can move on.

Red River High School already has that logo. Personally if they come up with something new it better be just as good as what we had, or better. Not something recycled from a different school.

Bison boy has over 2000 posts here and not a one worth reading.Get a life and spend your time texting Lakes your hero.

To say that implies you have taken the time to read all of them. I have a life. A little part of it is devoted to you;)

Red River High School already has that logo. Personally if they come up with something new it better be just as good as what we had, or better. Not something recycled from a different school.

I do not think you read my post very well. The Theodore Roosevelt character would be a MASCOT, not a logo, or I did not say to use "Roughriders", as a nickname. By getting a mascot, we would totally satisfy the NCAA requirement and we can just be North Dakota.

Did he just basically state by not adopting a new name UND is fostering an environment that perpetuates the old name?

Pretty much.  Even today, the lack of a new moniker fosters a lot of discussion about the NC$$ and the fight we waged to keep the Sioux moniker around my neck of the woods.   A new label might further bury the Sioux moniker in the minds of most people, and perhaps that's what the bedwetters want.

What is wrong with that? Pretty sure he wad trying to say don't pick a dumb name....dont rush into the decision.

Because by not having a nickname.... It encourages the use of the old one. It's that simple. Which I'm sure the NCAA would come down on.... Which is the last thing you folks want I'm guessing?

Because by not having a nickname.... It encourages the use of the old one. It's that simple. Which I'm sure the NCAA would come down on.... Which is the last thing you folks want I'm guessing?

What??? The NCAA can't do anything.

I do not think you read my post very well. The Theodore Roosevelt character would be a MASCOT, not a logo, or I did not say to use "Roughriders", as a nickname. By getting a mascot, we would totally satisfy the NCAA requirement and we can just be North Dakota.

I gotcha.

The NCAA can do anything they want, they got UND to get rid of a name that's been here for 80 years. Their club their rules.

The NCAA can do anything they want, they got UND to get rid of a name that's been here for 80 years. Their club their rules.

I get that they can force us to change our name, but what are we currently doing wrong? Nothing.