SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

Buffalo wouldn't go to a conference that doesn't allow all scholarships.

So I am a bad person for saying Penn State would result in a Big Ten hockey conference and WCHA and CCHA breakup or that UND was heading for the Big Sky when nobody else would believe me?

I can say the same thing about UND going to the Big Sky in 2002 because it made sense. The B1G told their member schools, if I remember right the year before Penn State was even talked about, that the B1G wants more games against other B1G school. So realistically you could see the writing on the wall before Penn State started their D1 program.  

Or those colleges would have to abide by current NCAA rules.

True, and if the NCAA just got rid of the rule the NCAA school would benefit too. NCAA hockey is the only sport in the NCAA that allows players to be drafted and go to NHL player development camps. so why not get rid of the rule and just say, if you sign with a NHL/AHL team you are now ineligible.

For any Canadian Colleges to be in NCAA D1 the NCAA will have to get rid of their rule about players who played in the CHL.

Simon Fraser plays in the BCIHL, which doesn't allow major juniors to play in it.  The CIS does, but not those British Columbia teams plus Eastern Washington.  

I can say the same thing about UND going to the Big Sky in 2002 because it made sense. The B1G told their member schools, if I remember right the year before Penn State was even talked about, that the B1G wants more games against other B1G school. So realistically you could see the writing on the wall before Penn State started their D1 program.  

And the writing was on the wall the UND and Denver would leave the WCHA to from a now league.   It not rocket science, but people make it out that it is.  

Conference alignment is always about money and about academics.

I would bet, "if" ASU adds hockey, they will land in the NCHC. I am taking side bets that they won't end up in the WCHA.

If you actually read what I wrote, ASU and Simon Fraser will be in the WCHA first (just to save the teams in the WCHA travel), and then the NCHC when their programs are more established.

LOL, Miami and WMU aren't leaving the NCHC if Buffalo starts hockey.  There would be no incentive too.  We'd both probably schedule them out of conference though.

Bowling Green and Buffalo are members of the MAC.  The MAC has TV contracts to negotiate.  If hockey is included in the cable package, that's more money for everybody with a bus league to boot.  That is incentive enough. The MAC is a close conference, and even the schools without hockey hate to see BGSU and maybe Buffalo suffer in the WCHA.

To Southpaw, who said UAH would never get in the MAC for hockey:  In Alabama, UAH is the place for technical  and engineering degrees,  UAB is to the place for medicine and UA is for law and liberal arts and business.  UAH is a fine university and their hockey only needs to begin recruiting to be on par with Bowling Green.  Their facilities are already better and its not that far from Oxford or Kalamazoo.

Simon Fraser plays in the BCIHL, which doesn't allow major juniors to play in it.  The CIS does, but not those British Columbia teams plus Eastern Washington.  

Are you sure about that, you might want to look before you make that claim.

If you actually read what I wrote, ASU and Simon Fraser will be in the WCHA first (just to save the teams in the WCHA travel), and then the NCHC when their programs are more established.

You will see ASU playing NCAA D1 before Simon Fraser ever will, and ASU will be in the NCHC.

Are you sure about that, you might want to look before you make that claim.

You will see ASU playing NCAA D1 before Simon Fraser ever will, and ASU will be in the NCHC.

The hockey team competes in the British Columbia Intercollegiate Hockey League (BCIHL).  Players on the team come from Tier 2 Jr. A (BCHL, NAHL), Jr. B (KIJHL, PIJHL, NORPAC), and Major Midget AAA programs. 

Maybe, just maybe, you should be more courteous when insisting you are right, when you are not.

WCHA Commissioner Robertson mentioned a Canadian school.  The only one that is eligible is Simon Fraser.  Take it up with him if you don't like it.

Maybe, just maybe, you should be more courteous when insisting you are right, when you are not.

WCHA Commissioner Robertson mentioned a Canadian school.  The only one that is eligible is Simon Fraser.  Take it up with him if you don't like it.

Eastern Washington University:

Rudy Sulmonte committed 2014/15 - 2010-11 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL), 2011-12 Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL).

Uriah Machuga - 2008-09 Kamloops Blazers (WHL).

Selkirk College:

David Mead - 2008-09 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL), 2009-10 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL), 2010-11 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL).

Markus McCrea - 2008-09 Everett Silvertips (WHL), 2009-10 Everett Silvertips (WHL), 2010-11 Everett Silvertips (WHL). 2011-12 Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL).

Logan Proulx - 2007-08 Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL), 2008-09 Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL), 2009-10 Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL).

James Prigione - 2008-09 Guelph Storm (OHL), 2009-10 Guelph Storm (OHL).

Simon Fraser University:

Mathew Berry-Lamontagna committed 2014/15 - 2010-11 Prince Albert Raiders (WHL), 2011-12 Prince Albert Raiders (WHL).

Scott Brkich - 2008-09 Medicine Hat Tirgers (WHL), 2008-09 Prince George Cougars (WHL). 

Thompson Rivers University:

Ryan Hanes committed 2014/15 - 2008-09 Kamloops Blazers (WHL), 2009-10 Kamloops Blazers (WHL), 2010-11 Kamloops Blazers (WHL), 2011-12 Kamloops Blazers (WHL), 2012-13 Prince George Cougars (WHL).

Trinity Western University:

Brad Bakken - 2005-06 Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL), 2006-07 Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL), 2007-08 Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL).

Only the University of Victoria didn't have a player last season or a player committed to next season that has played in the CHL.

Eastern Washington University:

Rudy Sulmonte committed 2014/15 - 2010-11 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL), 2011-12 Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL).

Uriah Machuga - 2008-09 Kamloops Blazers (WHL).

Selkirk College:

David Mead - 2008-09 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL), 2009-10 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL), 2010-11 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL).

Markus McCrea - 2008-09 Everett Silvertips (WHL), 2009-10 Everett Silvertips (WHL), 2010-11 Everett Silvertips (WHL). 2011-12 Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL).

Logan Proulx - 2007-08 Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL), 2008-09 Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL), 2009-10 Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL).

James Prigione - 2008-09 Guelph Storm (OHL), 2009-10 Guelph Storm (OHL).

Simon Fraser University:

Mathew Berry-Lamontagna committed 2014/15 - 2010-11 Prince Albert Raiders (WHL), 2011-12 Prince Albert Raiders (WHL).

Scott Brkich - 2008-09 Medicine Hat Tirgers (WHL), 2008-09 Prince George Cougars (WHL). 

Thompson Rivers University:

Ryan Hanes committed 2014/15 - 2008-09 Kamloops Blazers (WHL), 2009-10 Kamloops Blazers (WHL), 2010-11 Kamloops Blazers (WHL), 2011-12 Kamloops Blazers (WHL), 2012-13 Prince George Cougars (WHL).

Trinity Western University:

Brad Bakken - 2005-06 Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL), 2006-07 Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL), 2007-08 Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL).

Only the University of Victoria didn't have a player last season or a player committed to next season that has played in the CHL.

Obviously I'm wrong.  It must have changed recently, as websites state eligiblity that doesn't include Major Juniors.

Apologies to cberkas.

But it doesn't change the fact the Simon Fraser is eligible to start a D1 program.  There are otherwise DII and are just completing their transition, and Simon Fraser just happened to start a club team when they went DII.

Simon Fraser could be looked as an opportunity to increase the popularity of the NCAA college game in Canada, not diminish it in the NCAAs battle against Major Juniors.   With them in the NCAA, Canadian cable TV will follow and US teams will benefit.  Why is that so hard for some posters to understand?  Any switch to NCAA DI would have massive roster changes and only a few players would be ineligible.  Why would UND and Princeton travel there to play them last January, when Canadian exhibitions are almost exclusively on US soil?  WCHA commissioner Robertson must be totally out of his mind according to posters here.

Bowling Green and Buffalo are members of the MAC.  The MAC has TV contracts to negotiate.  If hockey is included in the cable package, that's more money for everybody with a bus league to boot.  That is incentive enough. The MAC is a close conference, and even the schools without hockey hate to see BGSU and maybe Buffalo suffer in the WCHA.

To Southpaw, who said UAH would never get in the MAC for hockey:  In Alabama, UAH is the place for technical  and engineering degrees,  UAB is to the place for medicine and UA is for law and liberal arts and business.  UAH is a fine university and their hockey only needs to begin recruiting to be on par with Bowling Green.  Their facilities are already better and its not that far from Oxford or Kalamazoo.

If Buffalo's plan was to add hockey and be in a MAC hockey conference, we'd tell them "no" you better not add hockey then.  Besides a conference needs "6" not "4" to sponsor a sport, so two more would have to also add hockey and it won't happen.  If the MAC had their own conference network on a national scale like the Big Ten Network it would all make more sense but we don't so it wont happen.  The CBS Sports Network deal and now an expanded deal with possibly Fox College Sports 2nd tier and TWC SportsChannel as our local broadcaster is a good deal for us.  We'd welcome Buffalo to add hockey so we have close OOC games but wouldn't leave the NCHC to join a league with them.  Obviously BG was upset with Miami and WMU when the NCHC formed and they weren't included, but we said "sorry" and left them anyway.  You think we'd then leave for Buffalo?  Nope.

If Miami cared at all about UAB and your academic theory then we'd have been in a league with Michigan Tech.

Why would UND and Princeton travel there to play them last January, when Canadian exhibitions are almost exclusively on US soil? WCHA commissioner Robertson must be totally out of his mind according to posters here.

I'm excited for the NCAA teams to sprout up in Austria and Germany since MTU traveled there a few years ago!

Not saying SFU and UBC is a longshot, I actually think it will happen. But those schools happen to be surrounded by teams in the BCHL. Check out UNDs roster from the past decade and you'll notice players from that league. I'd say the trip was more about recruiting and exposure versus playing a club team who may go d1.

What happened to the moratorium on non d1 teams moving just one or two teams up to d1?

But it doesn't change the fact the Simon Fraser is eligible to start a D1 program.  There are otherwise DII and are just completing their transition, and Simon Fraser just happened to start a club team when they went DII.

Simon Fraser could be looked as an opportunity to increase the popularity of the NCAA college game in Canada, not diminish it in the NCAAs battle against Major Juniors.   With them in the NCAA, Canadian cable TV will follow and US teams will benefit.  Why is that so hard for some posters to understand?  Any switch to NCAA DI would have massive roster changes and only a few players would be ineligible.  Why would UND and Princeton travel there to play them last January, when Canadian exhibitions are almost exclusively on US soil?  WCHA commissioner Robertson must be totally out of his mind according to posters here.

The BCIHL looks to have lost a Thompson Rivers University hockey team. If Simon Fraser is eligible to start a D1 program then you can say the same thing for Eastern Washington University who is a NCAA D1 school.

UND and Princeton used the trip as a recruiting tool that could also be used to expand NCAA hockey to Canada. Could Simon Fraser go D1 in hockey sure they can, but it more likely that Arizona State University gets the funds needed to start a men's and women's D1 program before Simon Fraser does. UND could work out a deal with Eastern Washington to come to Grand Forks every other year for a exhibition game.

I'm excited for the NCAA teams to sprout up in Austria and Germany since MTU traveled there a few years ago!

Not saying SFU and UBC is a longshot, I actually think it will happen. But those schools happen to be surrounded by teams in the BCHL. Check out UNDs roster from the past decade and you'll notice players from that league. I'd say the trip was more about recruiting and exposure versus playing a club team who may go d1.

What happened to the moratorium on non d1 teams moving just one or two teams up to d1?

southpaw:

I thought smart alec and dumbass posts were limited to bison troll, but obviously I'm wrong again.   :)

UBC never joined the NCAA, because all kinds of CIS schools lobbied for them to stay in the CIS.  UBC viewed even DII as acceptable, because eventually MW Hockey, M Volleyball, and MW Skiing could have been DI.  Other CIS saw UBCs departure as the eventual demise of the CIS (Alberta and Calgary were considering it if UBC did, and that would have cause Manitoba, Saskatchewan, to join the NCAA).  Simon Fraser is the only school that took up the NCAAs offer to allow Canadian schools, and the now play in the same conference as the Alaska schools.  SFU administrators meet face to face with UAF and UAA people at least twice a year, so certainly they know that travel issues in the WCHA and how SFU could help that situation.  SFU onl added hockey as a club sport when it moved to the NCAA, and I'm told that it was no coincidence by a SFU fan:  SFU administrators want DI hockey.

SFU has 30,000 students, in a metro with 2 M+, a top academic school in Canada, a great hockey recruiting area, multiple arena choices:  what is not to like from the WCHA President's perspective?

southpaw:

I thought smart alec and dumbass posts were limited to bison troll, but obviously I'm wrong again.   :)

UBC never joined the NCAA, because all kinds of CIS schools lobbied for them to stay in the CIS.  UBC viewed even DII as acceptable, because eventually MW Hockey, M Volleyball, and MW Skiing could have been DI.  Other CIS saw UBCs departure as the eventual demise of the CIS (Alberta and Calgary were considering it if UBC did, and that would have cause Manitoba, Saskatchewan, to join the NCAA).  Simon Fraser is the only school that took up the NCAAs offer to allow Canadian schools, and the now play in the same conference as the Alaska schools.  SFU administrators meet face to face with UAF and UAA people at least twice a year, so certainly they know that travel issues in the WCHA and how SFU could help that situation.  SFU onl added hockey as a club sport when it moved to the NCAA, and I'm told that it was no coincidence by a SFU fan:  SFU administrators want DI hockey.

SFU has 30,000 students, in a metro with 2 M+, a top academic school in Canada, a great hockey recruitng area, multiple area choices:  what is not to like from the WCHA President?

I don't think there is anything not to like from the WCHA Commish, which is why I said I think it will happen.  Barring another western team joining d1 ncaa hockey at the same time, I see SFU going to the WCHA.  If they, and another school with some investment in hockey decide to go D1, I see them joining the NCHC as that conference is obviously looking for more members.

After rejecting Notre Dame due to unrealistic requests, the NCHC is in a position of picking and choosing schools they want.  I think western schools would be an excellent opportunity for the conference to expand into areas that don't have a lot of college hockey fans.  Why let the WCHA grab SFU (and let's say another northwest team) when the NCHC wants that market?

Edit:  Basically, forget what i said about needing two teams to join.  I think SFU would join the NCHC even if they're the only western team making the jump.  A 9 team schedule isn't ideal but that western market is huge for any conference.

I'm still curious if the moratorium has been lifted on individual teams going d1.

Sonny Milano has told the BC folks he's going to sign with the Columbus Blue Jackets organization.

So, so sorry for Jerry York ... not.

That may have been the worst de-commit I have ever seen, and it happened to a guy who rarely loses players. One day after the rumors came out this kid swore up and down they were false and that he was 100% going to BC. He even went to orientation, only to back out a week later. Anyone see Gaudreau's twitter post?

You were right Goon. :)

That may have been the worst de-commit I have ever seen, and it happened to a guy who rarely loses players. One day after the rumors came out this kid swore up and down they were false and that he was 100% going to BC. He even went to orientation, only to back out a week later. Anyone see Gaudreau's twitter post?

He couldn't keep his original commitment to Notre Dame. Jeff Jackson is probably relived that Sonny Milano didn't do this to Notre Dame

What was the Twitter post?

I told a great hockey mind that this has the making of J.T. Miller all over again. I wish I was wrong. Sonny Milano Snubs Boston College for Plymouth