SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Volleyball season

Dustin

Griffin has played sparingly. It looks like she is getting some mop up time to get her feet wet, but nothing substantial yet. Probably not wanting to hand over the keys to the car to a freshman just yet, considering all the other youth on the floor. Nikki and Lexi don't leave the floor much. Those two seniors seem to carry a lot of the load right now.

Griffin has played sparingly. It looks like she is getting some mop up time to get her feet wet, but nothing substantial yet. Probably not wanting to hand over the keys to the car to a freshman just yet, considering all the other youth on the floor. Nikki and Lexi don't leave the floor much. Those two seniors seem to carry a lot of the load right now.

Its not shocking that she hasn't played much either.  Watching her a little bit on Friday in the 2nd set against USD, she just needs to get caught up on the speed a little more. She does have all the tools to be a very good setter for UND when it is all said and done.  Unlike with the other 3 freshman, there was a no doubt starter in Nikki, who is one of the better setters in the Big Sky.  A setter is like the point guard of the team, everything runs through her.  You can have the greatest hitters in the world but if your setter messes up it doesn't end very well. 

I follow the UND VB team closely and am very proud of our ladies.  However, I am not an expert on the game.  How big of an advantage is it to serve?  

Me either, but I don't think it's huge - aces are rare and the returning team has the first chance to set the ball and spike it.

Aces aren't that rare, but a server who can consistently make an ace is.  Serving a ball out of bounds or into the net are free points, so sometimes trying to hit a weak spot harms your own team if misplayed.  There are often players that coaches won't allow to serve, because that isn't their specialty.  A lot of substitutions are made so certain players never have to serve, or to temporarily insert good servers.

Idaho State has mostly played a P5 schedule.  They did win over St Mary's, which is rated almost as highly as Iowa.  Portland St has played a difficult schedule too, and NAU is the highest rated Big Sky team at present.

NDSU and SDSU have Massey ratings well below 400, so some Northern Sun teams could give them a good beating.  Miss St and Miss Valley St are two other teams on UND's schedule that don't look to be a challenge.

Generally, California teams including Big West and West Coast Conference teams are very good, most P5 teams are very good (except Miss St, Rutgers, BC, Tennessee) and the Midwest has its share of outperformers for mid major teams.  The East is typically pretty lousy, except for Penn State.  There are some very good teams east of the Mississippi River below P5, but those are rarer:  like Dayton, Appy St, Lipscomb, Xavier.  

Its my belief that UND can be a consistent top 50 program with the talent just in ND and MN leftover by the UM program.  Concordia SP and MinnDuluth have teams that could compete well at the top of DI.  We have the facilities and we have the talent in the area.  A lot of schools seem to treat volleyball with disdain or disinterest or place to stash women's scholarships without insisting on a return.

Regarding serving - from what I've seen, serving isn't a big advantage, and doesn't seem to be emphasized in the college game.  I have played recreational volleyball, and serving can be a huge advantage, especially if your serve is a curveball and tough to receive.  From what I see at UND games, no player (from any team) has a really tough serve to receive.  I have watched college volleyball on TV, and there are some players with nasty jump serves, but not many.  I agree with nodak651 that the receiving team has the first chance to set up the offense. 

I really like what UND has been able to do with our Volleyball team. These ladies are impressive. I don't follow it closely on a national scale, what are the national powers in VB and where would UND stack against them?

Here's the current Massey rankings: http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cvol&sub=NCAA%20I 

WARNING - Those are computer rankings, meaning they could be quite misleading, especially this early in the season.  Although not entirely reliable, they should give you somewhat of an idea where UND sits nationally.  Right now we are ranked 119, which is near where we finished last year.  If you click on UND, you will see our schedule, including the current rank of the opponents (past games show the opponent's rank at the time of the game).

Here's the current Massey rankings: http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cvol&sub=NCAA%20I 

WARNING - Those are computer rankings, meaning they could be quite misleading, especially this early in the season.  Although not entirely reliable, they should give you somewhat of an idea where UND sits nationally.  Right now we are ranked 119, which is near where we finished last year.  If you click on UND, you will see our schedule, including the current rank of the opponents (past games show the opponent's rank at the time of the game).

Iowa, Pacific, and Idaho St (twice) are the only teams they are predicting UND to lose. 

Thank you for the link.. Very interesting.. How does Concordia SP and Duluth have such a high ranked team?? Otherwise many of the same familiar faces.

Thank you for the link.. Very interesting.. How does Concordia SP and Duluth have such a high ranked team?? Otherwise many of the same familiar faces.

Here's the current Massey rankings: http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cvol&sub=NCAA%20I 

I would guess that's where the bolded portion comes into play, but maybe they actually are good, I dunno.