SiouxSports.com Forum

Legal question ?

Fetch

The leader of the 1st US Volunteer Cavalry, the "Rough Riders", ranched in western North Dakota.

The last living member of Roosevelt's "Rough Riders" was a man born in North Dakota named Jesse Langdon. Jesse's father was a veterinarian and treated Roosevelt's cattle on the ranch.

So the first and the last Rough Riders were North Dakotans.

Tell me again about "nothing".

Oilers won't work because it's too "western North Dakota" for Grand Forks...but because TR spent a few years in Medora, we're good-to-go with Roughriders?

His Horse Is Thunder suggested a replacement nickname that would focus on a North Dakota hero, Teddy Roosevelt.

“I would ask the UND alumni, the state board of Higher Education, . . . to take a look at changing the logo and choose an image that all of North Dakota could be proud of,” he said “We have the perfect logo: North Dakota Rough Riders. . . . Who could object to that? It is talking about bravery; it is talking about courage. I think everyone could agree on that.

Yeah, let's make our old buddy Ron happy. :angry:

His Horse Is Thunder suggested a replacement nickname that would focus on a North Dakota hero, Teddy Roosevelt.

“I would ask the UND alumni, the state board of Higher Education, . . . to take a look at changing the logo and choose an image that all of North Dakota could be proud of,” he said “We have the perfect logo: North Dakota Rough Riders. . . . Who could object to that? It is talking about bravery; it is talking about courage. I think everyone could agree on that.

Yeah, let's make our old buddy Ron happy. :angry:

Doesn't it seem strange that the nickname "Fighting Sioux" is disparaging and leads the Native Americans to feel used and objectified, but the nickname "Rough Riders" honors bravery and courage?!?! Sounds like a confused argument to me.

That said, Rough Riders would be infinitely better than some of the ones Kelly's group will likely come up with - Flames, Blizzard, even Spirit (though that would be a small gesture to the Spirit Lake tribe that finally came to the table in support of the Sioux name) etc... Rough Riders would probably be second to the continuation of the Sioux name.

Most of the country has never heard of the Rough Riders. But modern culture is certainly aware of the sexual innuendo associated with those two words. We already have one perverse nickname in the state with the Bi-son; lets not make it two.

I have never heard any one use the word Bison as anything sexual.... And honestly the ones UND would here the most sexually charged comments from the name rough riders would likely be their own students.

Most of the country has never heard of the Rough Riders. But modern culture is certainly aware of the sexual innuendo associated with those two words. We already have one perverse nickname in the state with the Bi-son; lets not make it two.

I don't agree. I think most of the country is at least somewhat familiar with that name from a historical perspective. And I think less people than you think will immediately go with the condom connotation.
  • Upvote 2

Most people stopped on the street can't name the leader of the house or senate.... I doubt they know the actual history of 1200 plains cowboys that fought in the Spanish American war. The 18 - 22 year old demographic will go to the innuendo I was referring to in a landslide.

I have never heard any one use the word Bison as anything sexual.... And honestly the ones UND would here the most sexually charged comments from the name rough riders would likely be their own students.

Surely you have heard the "eff" the Bison cheers.

Surely you have heard the "eff" the Bison cheers.

Yeah but I don't really think it's a big deal. People say stuff like that no matter what you use as a name

A name like rough riders provides UND students with some sexual underground homecoming shirts.

Most people stopped on the street can't name the leader of the house or senate.... I doubt they know the actual history of 1200 plains cowboys that fought in the Spanish American war. The 18 - 22 year old demographic will go to the innuendo I was referring to in a landslide.

If we're stuck with a moniker that "most people stopped on the street" recognize, we'll be the next Kardashian.

And if you're worried about the 18-22 demographic and such innuendo, dare I say "University of Southern California" ... the Trojans.

Leader of the House or Senate? Most people stopped on the street couldn't tell you what the three branches of government are, let alone who Harry Reid and John Boehner might be.

If we're stuck with a moniker that "most people stopped on the street" recognize, we'll be the next Kardashian.

And if you're worried about the 18-22 demographic and such innuendo, dare I say "University of Southern California" ... the Trojans.

USC adopted the nickname Trojans in 1912, This was before Trojan Co. was formed. So, not quite apples to apples. I don't think UND should choose a name alot of people associate with condoms.

not sure what you mean about "Kardashian".... any animal would be recognizable.

I would love the name Pioneers. but with Denver having that nickname, i'm sure it wouldn't be an option. If we're going to stick with the theme of trying to honor or recognize something North Dakota in the new nickname, Pioneers would honor the people that settled north Dakota. Plus they're the ancestors of a lot of us. People that came here 130 + years ago with virtually nothing, and survived their first winter or two living in a sod house on the river banks...eventually developing our cities, and state. Brave, courageous, and a no quit attitude. But, I know it'll never fly....we'll end up with something that sucks instead.

I've got an idea, let's be the Sioux.

Think about it. Its a pretty good idea...

It would accomplish two things:

1. We would call ourselves by the name we have actually given ourselves a half century ago and the name EVERYONE knows us as AND the name we want to call ourselves. Not bad?!

2. With one simple act we could single handedly restore the notion of men doing what they want to do without the interference of insanity. I.e. doing the right thing.

-That number two there would be quite the accomplishment.

We could save ourselves. Saving humanity would be pretty cool wouldn't it? I know your saying how silly is yababy? He is trying to suggest that something as trivial as what nickname a bunch of goofballs in North Dakota call themselves has anything to do with the course of humanity?

Well I'll tell you how I'm looking at it; I see a bunch of people who have a love for something that is also a part of their identity being forced to put tape over their mouths and hide their colors in their closet at home. And they are being told they must do this by outside influences who do not have their best interests at heart, lie to them, CHANGE their justifications(first it was the Sioux people didn't want the name, then when that was dispelled it was to protect our women's tennis team), ignore the truths(the Sioux people shouted so loud that they wanted the school to keep the name it led to a federal law suit) and manipulate the relevancies(it was all about Hitler and racist white dudes) and the facts(north Dakotans did not vote to get rid of the name for any reason other than the threats of evil men who threatened to hurt our school if we did not bow to them).

Our inabilty to represent ourselves and effect out comes is, in my opinion where we are losing as a culture. If the media doesn't tell us to care- we don't. So to me this whole name change thing is a litmus test and right now we are on life support. So week we are. Subjugated to the whims of those with ill intent. Unable to fight for the simplest of rights. Pitted against each other for no gain or reason.

It is truly astonishingly unbelievable to me to witness this all happening. Such a shame and at the same time so pathetic. That's what I see and that is the symbology of both us letting our name be taken from us and the value that would be inherent in us turning our course toward rationality and simply declaring who we are

We are the Sioux. Its that simple.

Just say it. Don't be afraid. Its your name. Say it and don't stop. Why?? Because you want to that's why. We all do..

We are the Sioux!

Common Hak, put the cap on. Ya know you want to. Be a man! If you can't say who you are in public then what will you ever have in this world?

What will you become then?

You decide, don't let someone decide for you. Be who you want to be, what we ALL WANT TO BE! All of us want to be the Sioux.

WE ARE THE SIOUX!!

• Upvote 4

USC adopted the nickname Trojans in 1912, This was before Trojan Co. was formed. So, not quite apples to apples. I don't think UND should choose a name alot of people associate with condoms.

not sure what you mean about "Kardashian".... any animal would be recognizable.

I would love the name Pioneers. but with Denver having that nickname, i'm sure it wouldn't be an option. If we're going to stick with the theme of trying to honor or recognize something North Dakota in the new nickname, Pioneers would honor the people that settled north Dakota. Plus they're the ancestors of a lot of us. People that came here 130 + years ago with virtually nothing, and survived their first winter or two living in a sod house on the river banks...eventually developing our cities, and state. Brave, courageous, and a no quit attitude. But, I know it'll never fly....we'll end up with something that sucks instead.

How about "Sodbusters"?

• Upvote 1

I've got an idea, let's be the Sioux.

Think about it. Its a pretty good idea...

It would accomplish two things:

1. We would call ourselves by the name we have actually given ourselves a half century ago and the name EVERYONE knows us as AND the name we want to call ourselves. Not bad?!

2. With one simple act we could single handedly restore the notion of men doing what they want to do without the interference of insanity. I.e. doing the right thing.

Just off the top of my head...

3. It would be a constant circus full of distractions. The Walk for Change would be just a preview of what you would continue to see. I'm sure all the student athletes would be real excited that the protests, letters and comments where a nickname is the focus instead of their performance on the field and in the classroom. Sounds like something people would be excited to sign up for.

4. Per the settlement, the teams can't use the Sioux nickname in postseason play regardless or the games are forfeited. All the coaches, particularly Hak, would be excited to know that their season is over once the regular season/conference tournament has concluded.

Most people aren't excited about losing the Sioux name or having to choose a new one. But that doesn't change that we will always be The University of North Dakota. That's the name student-athletes sign up to play for. That's the name alumni and fans donate to and cheer for. That's the one thing that has never changed.

• Upvote 4

Do you think the connotation with the Trojans is different for USC than Roughriders would be for UND, just because USC selected that nickname back in 1912? I think the Sicatoka's point is if USC can be successful with the Trojans UND can be successful with the Roughriders or Roughriders or however you want to say it.

I'm personally not concerned with the connotation. Cripes, if the State of ND can survive with Roughriders as an unofficial nickname I think UND will do quite well using that as an official nickname, given the marketing that will go along with why the nickname was selected, and with how the nickname will be used and any potential logo.

I guess part of me thinks just about any nickname can be made fun of, or slightly altered in a way to insult or jeer, so why worry about it? Pick a great nickname and go with it. Roughriders works for me, since no one else likes the "Iron Horses". :-)

• Upvote 4