SiouxSports.com Forum

DI football vs DI basketball

darell1976

So if Boise St was playing for a NC against Oklahoma like they did in the fiesta bowl no one would watch? People love upsets that's why the dance is more popular than another Alabama vs P5 team X.

I didn't say no one would watch...let's try this again. What kind of ratings does an ALCS of Red Sox vs Yankees get vs say, Royals vs A's?

I didn't say no one would watch...let's try this again. What kind of ratings does an ALCS of Red Sox vs Yankees get vs say, Royals vs A's?

So it's all about ratings...then why have a playoff, playoff gives hopes to the little guy which everyone knows isn't going to happen. Like I said it's the Dance without Cinderella.

So it's all about ratings...then why have a playoff, playoff gives hopes to the little guy which everyone knows isn't going to happen. Like I said it's the Dance without Cinderella.

Wait a second...on one hand, you're practically begging the NCAA to do something about the EMU's of D1 football, now you're the champion of the little school?

Wait a second...on one hand, you're practically begging the NCAA to do something about the EMU's of D1 football, now you're the champion of the little school?

Letting the little guy (Boise St, Wyoming, Ohio, etc) have a legitimate shot at a NC is my point, getting rid of the 15k attendance rule or actually penalize those who don't follow it is my other point...the two are not together.

Letting the little guy (Boise St, Wyoming, Ohio, etc) have a legitimate shot at a NC is my point, getting rid of the 15k attendance rule or actually penalize those who don't follow it is my other point...the two are not together.

So here's an idea...Central Michigan schedules a couple of patsies outside of their MAC schedule and runs the table undefeated. Central Florida does the same thing in the American. Ditto for Boise State in the Mountain West. You seriously think they would deserve a "final four" spot over a 10-2 Alabama or 11-1 Ohio State? No way.

• Upvote 1

So here's an idea...Central Michigan schedules a couple of patsies outside of their MAC schedule and runs the table undefeated. Central Florida does the same thing in the American. Ditto for Boise State in the Mountain West. You seriously think they would deserve a "final four" spot over a 10-2 Alabama or 11-1 Ohio State? No way.

In my eyes yes, in the playoff committee no. In the public's eye..??

Since 1999 only 4 non power 5 schools went undefeated Marshall (1999), Utah* (2004, 2008), Boise State (2006, 2009), and TCU* (2010).

Utah is now in the PAC 12 and TCU is now in the Big 12.

Utah in 2004 played 3 schools that are in the power 5: Texas A&M finished 7-5, Arizona finished 3-8, and North Carolina finished 6-6. Utah played one ranked team #20 Pittsburgh finished 8-4 and dismantled them 35-7. Utah end of season ranked #5/4

Boise State in 2006 played only 2 schools that are in the power 5: Oregon State finished 10-4 and the only ranked team #10 Oklahoma finished 11-3. Boise State end of season ranked #6/5

Utah in 2008 played 3 school that are in the power 5: #24 Michigan finished 3-9, Oregon State finished 9-4, and #4 Alabama finished 12-2. Utah also played two other ranked teams #11 TCU finished 11-2 and #14 BYU finished 10-3. Utah end of season ranked #4/2

Boise State in 2009 played 1 school that are in the power 5: #14 Oregon finished 10-3 and played another ranked team #3 TCU finished 12-1. Boise State end of season ranked #4

TCU in 2010 played 3 schools that are in the power 5: #24 Oregon State finished 5-7, Baylor finished 7-6, and #4 Wisconsin finished 11-2. TCU also played another ranked team #6 Utah finished 10-3. TCU end of season ranked #2

Since 1999 only 4 non power 5 schools went undefeated Marshall (1999), Utah* (2004, 2008), Boise State (2006, 2009), and TCU* (2010).

Boise State in 2006 played only 2 schools that are in the power 5: Oregon State finished 10-4 and the only ranked team #10 Oklahoma finished 11-3. Boise State end of season ranked #6/5

Utah in 2008 played 3 school that are in the power 5: #24 Michigan finished 3-9, Oregon State finished 9-4, and #4 Alabama finished 12-2. Utah also played two other ranked teams #11 TCU finished 11-2 and #14 BYU finished 10-3. Utah end of season ranked #4/2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that '06 Boise State team catch an Oklahoma squad coming off an upset loss in the Big XII championship game while the '08 Utah team was playing an Alabama group that had been undefeated going into the SEC championship game?

My own edit: The 2006 Oklahoma squad won the Big XII championship game over Nebraska 21-7. Their regular season losses were to Oregon and Texas.

Alabama was indeed the #1 team in the country before losing to one-loss Florida in the SEC championship game in 2008 in a big upset 31-20.

• 6 years later...

Arizona coaching legend Lute Olson dies at 85
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/arizona-coaching-legend-lute-olson-dies-at-85/ar-BB18rJuv?ocid=msedgdhp
Olson built a perennial NCAA MBB tournament contender in Tucson from the ground up. Arizona would reach the tournament 23 times straight under the North Dakota native, winning the school’s first championship in 1997.