SiouxSports.com Forum

DI football vs DI basketball

darell1976

So when the Gophers play at TCF how come Bethel 4757 can have more than EMU, St. Thomas was also close to EMU 3965. Thats some loud chirping in the Twin Cities when the Gophers are at home.

Gopher football can't hold a candle to Michigan, darell. You're over-estimating their popularity in the TC area.

...conveniently forgetting the other 75,005 fans in the "Detroit metro" who might be up at that other school in East Lansing...

I dunno, darell, how come a GLI hockey finale of Michigan State vs Michigan at JLA will sell out, but a Michigan Tech vs Western Michigan championship will draw 10,000 less than that?

If UND builds a 30,000 seat football stadium in time for the opener this year, do you think it would sell out? EMU remodeled simply to stay at the top level of the college football food chain...something the administration there should probably re-think.

East Lansing to Detroit is 93 miles, while Ypsilanti to Detroit is 35 miles...big difference.

East Lansing to Detroit is 93 miles, while Ypsilanti to Detroit is 35 miles...big difference.

What is your point? I'd bet more people are Michigan or Michigan State fans then fans of all of the other college football teams in Michigan combined.

Yet you earlier pointed out Oakland University's basketball attendance when compared to EMU.

If, say, 4,000 people are willing to drive from Fargo to GF to watch UND play Montana, how many folks from Detroit (not sure why you reference the city itself but I'll play along) would drive 93 miles to watch the Spartans play Notre Dame or Ohio State? Or do you think they should drive to Ypsilanti to see Miami play the EMU Eagles? And I'm not talking the Hurricanes when I'm talking Miami...

What is your point? I'd bet more people are Michigan or Michigan State fans then fans of all of the other college football teams in Michigan combined.

MafiaMan is pointing out EMU's poor attendance due to being close to Ann Arbor, and I am proving because there are people at that game doesn't mean people can't show up to an EMU game. I gave 2 examples Concordia with NDSU across the river, and Bethel with the Gophers right across the river, both Bethel and Concordia had higher attendance than Eastern Michigan.

Which way do you want it, darell? On one hand, you scold 4.3 metro area "fans" for not putting 30,000 fans in Rynearson Stadium for an EMU/Toledo game but suddenly driving 90 miles to see the Rose Bowl champion Spartans play their home football opener isn't realistic?

Yet you earlier pointed out Oakland University's basketball attendance when compared to EMU.

If, say, 4,000 people are willing to drive from Fargo to GF to watch UND play Montana, how many folks from Detroit (not sure why you reference the city itself but I'll play along) would drive 93 miles to watch the Spartans play Notre Dame or Ohio State? Or do you think they should drive to Ypsilanti to see Miami play the EMU Eagles? And I'm not talking the Hurricanes when I'm talking Miami...

For one thing I reference Detroit for its size 4.3 million people which is just higher than MSP so thats a lot of people who could go to an EMU game if they are a fan, and you can't tell me there aren't fans of them in Detroit. I am sure there are people that would drive to see MSU, or even Michigan, but thats the same with Minnesota or anywhere. In MSP there are little DIII colleges plus DII St. Cloud in an hours time away that people go to and its amazing how they can pack 47,000+ at TCF and a thousand here and there at other colleges and still have more people show up at Bethel than Eastern Michigan. Its not the distance, its their reputation of being a big FBS joke...like Idaho.

MafiaMan is pointing out EMU's poor attendance due to being close to Ann Arbor, and I am proving because there are people at that game doesn't mean people can't show up to an EMU game. I gave 2 examples Concordia with NDSU across the river, and Bethel with the Gophers right across the river, both Bethel and Concordia had higher attendance than Eastern Michigan.

NDSU and UM combined have roughly 2/3's the attendance that the Big House draws. Your comparisons make no sense. No one watches EMU because they stink. Not sure what that has to do with populations, other fan bases and how many miles it is to Detroit.

You still haven't explained how any of this causes the NCAA lose money because of EMU and they should be relegated because of it?

Which way do you want it, darell? On one hand, you scold 4.3 metro area "fans" for not putting 30,000 fans in Rynearson Stadium for an EMU/Toledo game but suddenly driving 90 miles to see the Rose Bowl champion Spartans play their home football opener isn't realistic?

You claim no one is at EMU because they drove 90 miles to East Lansing, or because EMU is to close to Michigan Stadium.

I have been in Ann Arbor many times for Michigan football games as a college friend of mine lived in Ypsilanti (up until about 2004). You have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to the football challenges that EMU has given its location.

NDSU and UM combined have roughly 2/3's the attendance that the Big House draws. Your comparisons make no sense. No one watches EMU because they stink.

You still haven't explained what any of this has to do with the NCAA losing money because of EMU?

That is right, no one is there because they stink not because of distance from Michigan Stadium.

You claim no one is at EMU because they drove 90 miles to East Lansing, or because EMU is to close to Michigan Stadium.

Yes, I am indeed claiming that the close proximity to the University of Michigan is a detriment to EMU football.

I have been in Ann Arbor many times for Michigan football games as a college friend of mine lived in Ypsilanti (up until about 2004). You have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to the football challenges that EMU has given its location.

So distance is the reason no one goes to EMU games. Is that your stance. Its not because they have won one conference title in the last 27 years.

That is right, no one is there because they stink not because of distance from Michigan Stadium.

Its a combination of the two. More people would go if there were no other options to watch college football. Instead, there are two very good B1G teams, so people have no problem switching their allegiance because EMU stinks and there are better options nearby.

I'll lay it out for you:

-EMU is a directional school that is 11 miles from one of the most successful, historical football programs in history with the largest stadium in college football and 75 miles from another very good school in a major conference.

-EMU is not a very good team and plays in a low tier conference. Attendance isn't very high at games where teams aren't very good and don't have very good opponents.

-Because EMU is not very good and there are infinitely better options to watch football very nearby, their attendance suffers even more.

And the NCAA doesn't lose any money because of any of this.

For one thing I reference Detroit for its size 4.3 million people which is just higher than MSP so thats a lot of people who could go to an EMU game if they are a fan, and you can't tell me there aren't fans of them in Detroit. I am sure there are people that would drive to see MSU, or even Michigan, but thats the same with Minnesota or anywhere. In MSP there are little DIII colleges plus DII St. Cloud in an hours time away that people go to and its amazing how they can pack 47,000+ at TCF and a thousand here and there at other colleges and still have more people show up at Bethel than Eastern Michigan.

LOL! The only reason TCF is "packed" is because of the Wisconsin, Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, and Iowa fans that own 1/2 of the stadium when their team comes to Minneapolis.

Again, you're seriously over-estimating Gopher football fanaticism. Ann Arbor (and Ypsilanti, for that matter) is absolutely blanketed in maize and blue on game-day. Drive to Lake Calhoun on Gopher game-day and ask the first 100 people you see who Minnesota is playing and I bet 75 reply "no idea."

LOL! The only reason TCF is "packed" is because of the Wisconsin, Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, and Iowa fans that own 1/2 of the stadium when their team comes to Minneapolis.

Again, you're seriously over-estimating Gopher football fanaticism. Ann Arbor (and Ypsilanti, for that matter) is absolutely blanketed in maize and blue on game-day. Drive to Lake Calhoun on Gopher game-day and ask the first 100 people you see who Minnesota is playing and I bet 75 reply "no idea."

I'll put $$$ on the over on this one.

49,554 saw South Dakota beat the Gophers.

49,554 saw South Dakota beat the Gophers.

2nd outdoor home Gopher game in over 20 years on a spectacular day. Stunning that it was a sell-out. Did you quick google the St Thomas and Bethel attendance for that Saturday in 2010?

2nd outdoor home Gopher game in over 20 years on a spectacular day. Stunning that it was a sell-out. Did you quick google the St Thomas and Bethel attendance for that Saturday in 2010?

Bethel and St. Thomas was off that day. Last year over 42,000 saw Minny play Western Illinois.

Bethel and St. Thomas was off that day. Last year over 42,000 saw Minny play Western Illinois.

Gee Lakes did you go around counting the people on your fingers and toes. :silly:

Do you even remember what your original argument was anymore?

• Upvote 1