SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Governance: Autonomy Structure

The Sicatoka

The Power 5 conferences will get this because of the sabre-rattling being done by the SEC:

If autonomy within the current NCAA structure is not achieved, Slive said the SEC – and, by implication, the remaining Power 5 conferences – would continue to approach the construction of a separate division – often casually referred to as "Division 4."

"If we do not achieve a positive outcome under the existing big tent of Division I, we will need to consider the establishment of a venue with similar conferences and institutions where we can enact the desired changes in the best interests of our student‑athletes," Slive said.

Allow me to translate the bold portion:

"Give us what we want or we're bolting from the NCAA to form our own new organization and we're taking all the money with us."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/07/14/commissioner-mike-slive-sec-media-days-ncaa-autonomy/12632085/

No statement was made - we'll have to wait and see what's in the details - not hard to comprehend.

You have no idea what you are talking about but no matter what you will try to refute anything said on here. "The devil is in the details" is absolutely a statement. Since you have no idea of what the details actually are, that makes it a blanket statement.

You have no idea what you are talking about but no matter what you will try to refute anything said on here. "The devil is in the details" is absolutely a statement. Since you have no idea of what the details actually are, that makes it a blanket statement.

Its fine if BV has 1,000 NDSU to FBS threads but when a conference commissioner tweets something about the FBS its shot down and made up.

• 3 weeks later...

We are actually have a very good discussion on what this means for UND hockey at Bisonville since this is now approved. It is quite likely UND will be much more affected than NDSU as it is very likely the NCHC will have to go to "full cost" schoolies to keep up with B1G. How your University pays for that and stays compliant with Title IX will be the trick.

Voting on the Council shall be weighted on matters other than football as follows:

- representatives from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC will be weighted 1x4;

- Representatives from the American Athletic Conference, Conference USA (C-USA), Mid-American Conference (MAC), Mountain West Conference and Sun Belt Conference will be weighted 1x2,

- and the remaining 22 conferences, and two student-athletes and two designated faculty seats will be weighted 1x1.

MAC has twice as much say as the Big East now. Thats amusing.

How your University pays for that and stays compliant with Title IX will be the trick.

If you do full cost for men's hockey and need to stay compliant you do full cost for ... (wait for it) ... women's hockey. <-- It kind of solved itself.

• Upvote 1

If you do full cost for men's hockey and need to stay compliant you do full cost for ... (wait for it) ... women's hockey. <-- It kind of solved itself.

Come over to Bisonville and read the discussion. I don't think it will be that simple. I think it is likely this will fall to the conferences to decide. I thought the same as you, but then it was pointed out that women's hockey is WCHA....good luck on getting that approved.....

Come over to Bisonville and read the discussion. I don't think it will be that simple. I think it is likely this will fall to the conferences to decide. I thought the same as you, but then it was pointed out that women's hockey is WCHA....good luck on getting that approved.....

Unlike the WCHA men's the WCHA woman's is made up of mostly big schools in hockey.

Women's WCHA includes Minnesota, Wisconsin and Ohio State of the Big 10 as well as UND, Duluth and St. Cloud from the NCHC. All would have to deal with Title IX if those conferences added scholarship dollars.. Doing it for the women in the WCHA would probably not force the men of the WCHA into adding those dollars.

If its up to the conferences that will cover UND and allow them to offer it for hockey only. I don't see the Big Sky or WCHA passing it. If the conference doesn't allow it, you take it up with the conferences, not the school if there are any issues.

I'm surprised there's such concern over there about a sport, by their own statements, that "nobody cares about". And about a team that they claim is no longer a rival no less. Peculiar. Most peculiar.

You'd think the discussion would center more around being in the Summit, where it's fairly safe to say that most Summit schools won't vote for "full cost scholarships" in basketball when that day comes (and it will come, trust me, the P5 will go there next to keep widening the gap) because they can't afford it.

I'm surprised there's such concern over there about a sport, by their own statements, that "nobody cares about". And about a team that they claim is no longer a rival no less. Peculiar. Most peculiar.

You'd think the discussion would center more around being in the Summit, where it's fairly safe to say that most Summit schools won't vote for "full cost scholarships" in basketball when that day comes (and it will come, trust me, the P5 will go there next to keep widening the gap) because they can't afford it.

So what would that mean in BB? If conferences like the SL or BSC want schools to pony up more money for scholarships will lower schools that are DI because they have to be, be allowed to drop to DII or DIII?

I think no one has any clear vision of where this is going or could end up.

Now toss in the NCAA's loss in the O'Bannon lawsuit and things are really getting interesting for the future of "amateur" college sports.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/judge-rules-against-ncaa-in-ed-obannon-lawsuit-2014-08-08?link=MW_latest_news

I think no one has any clear vision of where this is going or could end up.

Now toss in the NCAA's loss in the O'Bannon lawsuit and things are really getting interesting for the future of "amateur" college sports.

http://www.marketwat...=MW_latest_news

I know other athletes from baseball, to hockey, to rowing will want some extra coin. Especially on the women's side of sports.

No arguments on either point. The gap will surely widen with the Summit, but there is little NDSU can do about that; UND will be in same boat with the Sky which is a much worse BBall conference thus an even wider gap.

The fascinating part of this is UND will likely be one of the few schools in a "mixed" situation with potentially hockey players getting more from scholies than football, BBall, etc. It will make for some challenges for Faison and I just hope UND does not put in the increased cost on the backs of their students.....

No arguments on either point. The gap will surely widen with the Summit, but there is little NDSU can do about that; UND will be in same boat with the Sky which is a much worse BBall conference thus an even wider gap.

The fascinating part of this is UND will likely be one of the few schools in a "mixed" situation with potentially hockey players getting more from scholies than football, BBall, etc. It will make for some challenges for Faison and I just hope UND does not put in the increased cost on the backs of their students.....

Historically the summit is better or just last year? What's that based on?

• 2 weeks later...