SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 Recruiting

Hambone

First of a couple ND D1 kids in the next few years IMO. Not sure of UNDs interest, but hats off to Richman he's recruiting ND kids and having success with them. 

I've never seen the kid play. Was there a huge possibility that he is going to blow up over the next year and would have attracted major offers?  Just interesting that a kid would commit so early more so because its very unusual in this area.

I've never seen the kid play. Was there a huge possibility that he is going to blow up and would have attracted major offers?  Just interesting that a kid would commit so early more so because its very unusual in this area.

Seen very little, but from the little I have this is a offer based on potential. The young man is extremely extremely athletic and has a ton of upside. I guess if I was NDSU I would've held off until after this winter season to maybe offer because their aren't a lot of outside D1 schools that come into ND so you kind of can wait a little on local talent. They obviously saw something they liked and wanted to lock him up.

It will be interesting to see if more D1s start coming into the state to check kids out. With Eikens in the state and playing AAU locally with other ND kids their will be plenty of D1 eyes on local talent the next few years. Might be smart to get on them earlier, so you can't knock NDSU for locking him up. 

Seen very little, but from the little I have this is a offer based on potential. The young man is extremely extremely athletic and has a ton of upside. I guess if I was NDSU I would've held off until after this winter season to maybe offer because their aren't a lot of outside D1 schools that come into ND so you kind of can wait a little on local talent. They obviously saw something they liked and wanted to lock him up.

It will be interesting to see if more D1s start coming into the state to check kids out. With Eikens in the state and playing AAU locally with other ND kids their will be plenty of D1 eyes on local talent the next few years. Might be smart to get on them earlier, so you can't knock NDSU for locking him up. 

Thanks for the insight.  Agree they must have saw something they liked and looking at his numbers, it must have been potential.  Strange to see a program have a commit from the 2017 class before they have one for the 2016 class.  Nice to see kids in the area getting a chance at D-1 ball though.

I wonder if we have any shot of landing Amar Miller. Kid looks like a stud in the making. Only thing holding him back is his height. I have to imagine he is going to pick up some big time offers in the coming year but I really hope he remains under the radar.

I wonder if we have any shot of landing Amar Miller. Kid looks like a stud in the making. Only thing holding him back is his height. I have to imagine he is going to pick up some big time offers in the coming year but I really hope he remains under the radar.

Solid shot at Miller only 5'8" and strictly a lead guard.  Do not see him bagging too many more  offers . UND probably needs to secure another  power forward first and foremost  and only 2 open scholarships  for class of 2016... Avants probably not the answer for serous minutes at th 4 and Bernstine likely to be backed up by sr. walk on Hobaugh. 

Solid shot at Miller only 5'8" and strictly a lead guard. Do not see him bagging too many more offers . UND probably needs to secure another power forward first and foremost and only 2 open scholarships for class of 2016... Avants probably not the answer for serous minutes at th 4 and Bernstine likely to be backed up by sr. walk on Hobaugh.

I may be wrong but I truly think he will receive many more offers.

Solid shot at Miller only 5'8" and strictly a lead guard.  Do not see him bagging too many more  offers . UND probably needs to secure another  power forward first and foremost  and only 2 open scholarships  for class of 2016... Avants probably not the answer for serous minutes at th 4 and Bernstine likely to be backed up by sr. walk on Hobaugh. 

Wouldn't Collins get some time at the 4 as well? 

Wouldn't Collins get some time at the 4 as well? 

Collins maybe 6'5' only had one D1 offer, ranked 19th best MN. prospect 2015 by North Star Hoops.  who saw a ton of him. Did not play well enough in high school to translate into D1 player at least not until he is a junior or senior.

Miller is really talented. If he was 6'1-6'2 he'd be going to a pretty big time school. Still feel he'll get more offers (I think he has 2-3 already) but hopefully were in the running with our TC connections and being the first to offer. With only 2 open spots I think UND is in a position to just take the best players they can get with those 2 spots. An impact front court player would be ideal, but those are tough to find at this level, you almost have to develop them. I'd take any combo of Miller, Peterson, Nikko, and Jackson from the Twin Cities and be happy. Allen Anderson might be a nice option to. The frontcourt guy from Iowa Ryan Kriener looks like he could be a big impact player, but I think there will be a lot of competition for him. 

Collins maybe 6'5' only had one D1 offer, ranked 19th best MN. prospect 2015 by North Star Hoops.  who saw a ton of him. Did not play well enough in high school to translate into D1 player at least not until he is a junior or senior.

I actually really like Collins potential. He averaged 11 a game on a team with both a Minnesota and Marquette recruit. His athletic ability and frame give him the potential to be an above average energy/defense/rebounding guy in the Big Sky. He'll be able to guard positions 2-4 in the Big Sky so I think he'll be a very valuable role guy for UND over the next 4-5 years depending on if he redshirts.

I also wouldn't mind Bubba asking him to play TE on the FB team when he's done with BBall. The kid has a really nice frame and some serious athletic ability. Could be a monster TE with a little coaching. Lorenzo Riley from NDSU (basketball/football) comes to mind although Josh has a better frame. We'll see how he develops though as he's not even on campus yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Another offer:

SG Billy Brown, 6'3", 160, Spirit Lake (Spirit Lake), IA     His first offer

We are also interested in his teammate, Ryan Kreiner, a 6'9" PF who has offers from SDSU, UNI, IN St & W IL.

I should have made it clear that we have offered Kreiner.  He also has offers from Miami (OH), Pepperdine & Lehigh.

Brown average 14 pts 4 assists for a team ranked 46th in  Iowa.  Surprised with only 2 offers open a a lot of young guards on team next year that they would sign him. Did not hold any other D1 or D2 offers.Billy Brown ‏@BrownBilly6  1h

Proud to say that I have committed to The University of North Dakota. Can't wait to play for The Fighting Sioux!

Brown average 14 pts 4 assists for a team ranked 46th in Iowa. Surprised with only 2 offers open a a lot of young guards on team next year that they would sign him. Did not hold any other D1 or D2 offers.Billy Brown@BrownBilly6 1h

1 hour agoGrand Forks, ND

Proud to say that I have committed to The University of North Dakota. Can't wait to play for The Fighting Sioux!

Redshirt next year and backup Geno when Hooker graduates is my guess. PG of future?

• 2 weeks later...

Believe they should have waited on Amar Miller for future PG , no hurry to sign Brown who had no competing offers. 

My understanding is that Brown was up here at a camp and really liked the facilities, campus, coaches and current players.  He was headed to camps at USD and SDSU right after UND's and decided rather than wait to see if they offered, to take the UND offer before attending the other camps.  It was also possible that UND was only going to take one guard and by waiting, he could have missed his opportunity.  Being he liked everything he had seen about UND, it wasn't worth the risk.