SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 NHL Season

MafiaMan

Jonas Hiller signs with Calgary...and he's awfully excited about going to play for a team with a large and rabid following - as opposed to playing in Anaheim.

Yeah, some player's comments when they move to a new team can get comical. On a slightly different note, did you happen to hear any interviews with Josh Gorges? He was brutally (almost too) honest. He talked about not wanting to go to Toronto. He had a limited NTC where he had to submit a list at the end of the season of 15 teams that he would be willing to go to. Basically, as he thought, this was just a formality as a part of his contract that he has to do each year. He had no inkling that he'd be traded, and obviously Toronto was not on that list and he wouldn't waive his NTC to go there.

The interviewer was then curious about Buffalo being on that list being that they were a bottom-of-the-league team. He said that they originally were not, but once it got out that he was going to be traded and Montreal was having a tough time moving him to a team on his list, Montreal came back and asked if he'd expand this list by 5 more teams, which Buffalo was then on.

Let's just say Gorges was not happy with being dealt by Montreal, and Buffalo was kind of like an ugly bridesmaid in the whole deal. In the interview he sounded like he was about to cry.

Yeah, some player's comments when they move to a new team can get comical. On a slightly different note, did you happen to hear any interviews with Josh Gorges? He was brutally (almost too) honest. He talked about not wanting to go to Toronto. He had a limited NTC where he had to submit a list at the end of the season of 15 teams that he would be willing to go to. Basically, as he thought, this was just a formality as a part of his contract that he has to do each year. He had no inkling that he'd be traded, and obviously Toronto was not on that list and he wouldn't waive his NTC to go there.

The interviewer was then curious about Buffalo being on that list being that they were a bottom-of-the-league team. He said that they originally were not, but once it got out that he was going to be traded and Montreal was having a tough time moving him to a team on his list, Montreal came back and asked if he'd expand this list by 5 more teams, which Buffalo was then on.

Let's just say Gorges was not happy with being dealt by Montreal, and Buffalo was kind of like an ugly bridesmaid in the whole deal. In the interview he sounded like he was about to cry.

When asked about not wanting to be traded to Toronto, he was quoted as saying something along the lines of 'going to Toronto would be like going to play for Boston.'

For as "chummy" as pro athletes are with each other - even on rival teams - I kind of respect his honesty and the fact that he just couldn't stand the thought of being traded to what he considered a rival team.

When asked about not wanting to be traded to Toronto, he was quoted as saying something along the lines of 'going to Toronto would be like going to play for Boston.'

For as "chummy" as pro athletes are with each other - even on rival teams - I kind of respect his honesty and the fact that he just couldn't stand the thought of being traded to what he considered a rival team.

Yeah, I actually thought that his honesty was pretty cool to hear as well. And yes, he did say that. Regarding Toronto he said it was nothing against Toronto or anyone on that team, but when you play for years against that team and they're such a huge rival, it was hard to think about going and being a part of that team. Pretty cool to not just hear the typical cookie cutter responses.

I didn't have a problem with Hiller's comments at all - he is excited about going to a city where the fans are passionate about hockey as opposed to it being the 5th or 6th team in town (Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Clippers, Kings) and somewhat of an afterthought in terms of media coverage. Good for him, I say!

I didn't have a problem with Hiller's comments at all - he is excited about going to a city where the fans are passionate about hockey as opposed to it being the 5th or 6th team in town (Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Clippers, Kings) and somewhat of an afterthought in terms of media coverage. Good for him, I say!

Yeah, I agree. Don't get me wrong - I don't have a problem with his comments either. I guess when I say comical what I was referring to his him rationalizing going from Anaheim, who will have a legitimate shot at winning a Stanley Cup, to Calgary where they'll most likely be in the Connor McDavid sweepstakes next year and how excited he is for that.

Chicago reportedly signing Brad Richards to a 1 year $2 million deal and I'd think another move would have to be coming from them considering they're already over the cap. An already tough central division has gotten even tougher this off-season with the moves that have been made by those teams so far.

this is such a BIG signing that it took NHL netowrk 15 minutes to even get to it and then they mentioned it for 10 seconds. After just the first day of free agency and the Blackhawks look to have fallen even farther behind the Blues in the Central and possibly the Wild as well. Looks to get even worse after next season when the effects of the Toews and Kane record deals hit the books. Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa and Sharp all have monster contracts now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Teemu Selanne will have his jersey retired on January 11th when the Ducks host the Jets. I like the move by the Ducks to retire his jersey when they play the team he started his career with.

Remember this goal and subsequent celebration?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptnM8KZwleg

Actually, he started his career with the organization now known as the Phoenix Coyotes, but I bet Winnipeg Jets fans will feel more of a connection to Teemu than anyone in Arizona would.

• 3 weeks later...