SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 NHL Season

MafiaMan

That's why I put it in apostrophes. 39 isn't old in general, but it's old in sports.

I sometimes wonder if 39 is the new 29? Jagr seems to keep clicking along and still better than a lot of 30-year old players in the NHL right now at 42.

I thought it was an excellent move when I saw they resigned him, and then I saw the timeframe. 7 years is a heck of a long time to commit to someone that 'old'.

Hossa still has 7 years left on his contract with the Hawks, hockey contracts are the dumbest in any of the sports.

Hossa still has 7 years left on his contract with the Hawks, hockey contracts are the dumbest in any of the sports.

The MLB contracts of Prince Fielder, Josh Hamilton, and Albert Pujols are holding for you on line two...

The MLB contracts of Prince Fielder, Josh Hamilton, and Albert Pujols are holding for you on line two...

they will have to hold, I'm on line one with Rick Dipietro's 15 year contract and line three with Ilya Kovalchuk's 15 year contract as well. ;)

so Kane and Toews are both seeking $12 million per year in their new contracts. Hawks choices-keep one or keep both at that mark and destroy any further chance of winning a Cup as the team would have to be dismantled.

capgeek.com

The cap rises by about the same amount that the salaries for these two would rise.

But yes, I agree with your central point ... a top-heavy roster can't consistently contend in the new NHL. (Example: Pittsburgh ... superb top 6 players ... then a steep fall off.) That's just the reality ... less spent on the top 6 means a team with better depth.

so Kane and Toews are both seeking $12 million per year in their new contracts. Hawks choices-keep one or keep both at that mark and destroy any further chance of winning a Cup as the team would have to be dismantled.

I wonder if they are trying to approach it together (like Parise and Suter), especially since they have the same agent. As good as Kane is, Toews' intangibles make him worth more in my opinion.

To me it looks like it's time to be a LAK fan. All their guys are locked up at good cap numbers.

Wait until 2015-2016....then Kopitar will get a big deal.

As someone previously noted, the team caps will be increasing by a significant amount next summer. CHI simply needs to make it work this summer. Also, they'll both come down a little, Bowman is a great GM and he'll figure something out.

My guess is Vanek and Willie Mitchell to Minnesota and that Niskanen will get the biggest deal of all the free agents.

Niskanen was back in Virginia a couple weeks back and said he would like to play in Minnesota and would be willing to take less money to do so but money talks and I can see him taking the biggest offer as well.

Niskanen was back in Virginia a couple weeks back and said he would like to play in Minnesota and would be willing to take less money to do so but money talks and I can see him taking the biggest offer as well.

The Wild beat writer Michael Russo wrote in his latest article that the Wild aren't going to make an offer to Niskanen. I think they wanted him on a shorter term like 3 years and he can easily get a 6 or 7 year contract from someone. Russo mentioned Tampa Bay and Washington as destinations that make sense and I think Detroit has him pretty high on their list as well.