SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

I dont know the last time it was updated but siouxsports shows 3 dman and 3 forwards comeing in

D-man

Charlie Pelnick

Ryan Mantha

Tucker Poolman

Forwards

Jack Rowe

Luke Voltin

Nick Schmaltz

No Olson or Simonson

Hasn't been updated in a while Mantha is looking more like a 2015, not sure when Rowe, Voltin, and Pelnik will come in if they ever make it to campus. Only possible add to what I posted would be another forward Shane Gersich.

Do we know the non conference opponents for next year. I think Wisconsin is on the schedule? Who else?

I know Schloss has mentioned it on the live chat before but I'm not sure if I can remember it all. I know two are at Wisconsin and Providence comes to UND.

Here is what I would like to see:

MacMillian-Parks-Caggiula

Schmaltz-Grimaldi-Johnson

Pattyn-Gaarder-Olson

St. Clair-Chyzik-ODonnell

Schmaltz-LaDue

Thompson-Stecher

Mattson-Poolman

Gothberg

Keep the top line how it is. It will be a veteran group that doesn't have any one stand out but has 3 guys that can hurt you in different ways. They should have plenty of chemistry but we need each one to make some improvements going into next season. We need more points out of that line to be frank. I was hoping to see more of an improvement out of all three than we did this season. Hopefully how this past season ended will give them plenty of motivation heading into next year.

As for the second line, I would like to see Schmaltz paired with Rocco and Johnson. He is a playmaking winger that, in my opinion, we need with Rocco and Johnson. I think this line could make or break us next year. Johnson absolutely has to improve his game and become a bigger threat to score. He has the talent, he just needs to bring it consistently. If Johnson does improve and Schmaltz can make an immediate impact this line could be a matchup nightmare for any team in the country as it would have a fantastic combination of speed and scoring ability with all three guys able to bring something a bit different to the table.

The third line might be the most fun to watch. I haven't personally seen Olson but all reports I have read say that he is a gritty player with size and an edge. Pattyn has improved every year and will wear the C next year. He is tough with more skill than given credit for. Gaarder played himself into this position and is the type of player that won't allow himself to do anything but improve. I think this line would have the ability to put some points on the board but even better will bring some of the old school Sioux mentality to the lineup. These guys will have no bones about getting into the face of anyone in the country. True grit that will punish teams both physically and mentally. The lunch pale line that will undoubtedly spend some time in the box and instigate some scrums.

The fourth line is a pure grind you out type of line. Experienced and relentless. I really like the idea of matching up OD with St. Clair and Chyzik. They all are workers that might not be the most skilled but if you make a mistake they can pounce on you. I think dropping OD to this line will give us a little bit more of a 4th line threat than we had this past year.

As for the defense, I absolutely love it. Every single one of those dmen can put up points. Fantastic skaters all around. Schmaltz and LaDue might be the best pairing in the country and would see a TON of ice time. Thompson and Stecher are great together and will only get better. I matched Mattson with the freshy Poolman to help him progress and I think they compliment eachother pretty well. Plus we still have Ausmus if we want a change of pace. I think this group of dmen have the ability to be one of the best in the country if not the best.

Gothberg is Gothberg. Enough said.

I'm surprised, too, but he's on this list for 2014-15.

Dave

I think he probably just screwed up the year for Shaw and would really doubt if he came in this fall with how young he is and when he committed. Here is an article from Chris Dilks that mentions Shaw is only a high school Junior so he will have at least another year before joining UND. http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2014/1/8/5290272/hayden-shaw-commits-to-north-dakota

Here is what I would like to see:

MacMillian-Parks-Caggiula

Schmaltz-Grimaldi-Johnson

Pattyn-Gaarder-Olson

St. Clair-Chyzik-ODonnell

Schmaltz-LaDue

Thompson-Stecher

Mattson-Poolman

Gothberg

Keep the top line how it is. It will be a veteran group that doesn't have any one stand out but has 3 guys that can hurt you in different ways. They should have plenty of chemistry but we need each one to make some improvements going into next season. We need more points out of that line to be frank. I was hoping to see more of an improvement out of all three than we did this season. Hopefully how this past season ended will give them plenty of motivation heading into next year.

As for the second line, I would like to see Schmaltz paired with Rocco and Johnson. He is a playmaking winger that, in my opinion, we need with Rocco and Johnson. I think this line could make or break us next year. Johnson absolutely has to improve his game and become a bigger threat to score. He has the talent, he just needs to bring it consistently. If Johnson does improve and Schmaltz can make an immediate impact this line could be a matchup nightmare for any team in the country as it would have a fantastic combination of speed and scoring ability with all three guys able to bring something a bit different to the table.

The third line might be the most fun to watch. I haven't personally seen Olson but all reports I have read say that he is a gritty player with size and an edge. Pattyn has improved every year and will wear the C next year. He is tough with more skill than given credit for. Gaarder played himself into this position and is the type of player that won't allow himself to do anything but improve. I think this line would have the ability to put some points on the board but even better will bring some of the old school Sioux mentality to the lineup. These guys will have no bones about getting into the face of anyone in the country. True grit that will punish teams both physically and mentally. The lunch pale line that will undoubtedly spend some time in the box and instigate some scrums.

The fourth line is a pure grind you out type of line. Experienced and relentless. I really like the idea of matching up OD with St. Clair and Chyzik. They all are workers that might not be the most skilled but if you make a mistake they can pounce on you. I think dropping OD to this line will give us a little bit more of a 4th line threat than we had this past year.

As for the defense, I absolutely love it. Every single one of those dmen can put up points. Fantastic skaters all around. Schmaltz and LaDue might be the best pairing in the country and would see a TON of ice time. Thompson and Stecher are great together and will only get better. I matched Mattson with the freshy Poolman to help him progress and I think they compliment eachother pretty well. Plus we still have Ausmus if we want a change of pace. I think this group of dmen have the ability to be one of the best in the country if not the best.

Gothberg is Gothberg. Enough said.

I love all that, it was fun reading except I dont know how they're going to keep Ausmus in and out of the line up for another year. Actually some times i wouldnt mind some one going in for Mattson at times.

I could agree with substituting Ausmus with Mattson in certain situations. I wouldn't separate Thompson and Stecher and Schmaltz and LaDue is too enticing to pass up IMO. Mattson, Ausmus and Poolman will all see ice time unless two of those three play too well to take out of the lineup.

Schmaltz and LaDue = :cool:

I could agree with substituting Ausmus with Mattson in certain situations. I wouldn't separate Thompson and Stecher and Schmaltz and LaDue is too enticing to pass up IMO. Mattson, Ausmus and Poolman will all see ice time unless two of those three play too well to take out of the lineup.

Schmaltz and LaDue = :cool:

Mattson, unless he gets hurt, will be in the lineup every game next season.

Thompson will either play with Schmaltz or LaDue.

• Upvote 1

Next year, I think we just load up on forwards and D. If Ausmus and Poolman have to sit out here and there, so be it. They'll get plenty of ice when they're juniors and seniors.

Like I said, bring whomever in, load up. It's time to completely dominate. We have not had that luxury for the past 3 seasons due to various reasons that I don't want to list. We all know.

Schmaltz-LaDue

Thompson-Stecher

Gives you one elite d pairing and one very very good d pairing. Both pairing are have the potential to put up huge numbers. Then you throw in Mattson to help cover any mental lapses of the freshy.

Or vice versa with Mattson, i think his freshman season has been his best so far.

Haha agree....mattson isn't going to be he odd man out his senior year. Second most points from our dmen.

Now, admittedly you have to be a little of each, and play open ice is a different story; but, in the zone Rocco, Cags, and Gaarder are setup men; Johnson, Parks, and O'D are guys you want shooting, and in-zone General, Mac, and Rodwell are monsters on the boards who come away with the puck.

I hear you note the getter, setter, shooter thing a lot. Its honesty not like that. Sure you need a setter and shooter, I guess, but this getter thing confused me greatly And I don't know what this even means. To me, top 6 lines need to have, at the very least, two getters. In new age hockey there are combo players, etc. I don't know, just confused by that.

I think you missed a key sentence (bolded); and, a getter is the guy who goes to the wall in the offensive zone and always seems to come away with the puck and is getting it to the setter while the shooter is finding that open space.

With seven main defensemen, usually injuries will ensure plenty of playing time for all. The group staying basically healthy all year, necessitating the lineup decision between Thompson and Ausmus, was unusual and will probably not be repeated next year.

A ton of talent coming back, but Simpson will be missed. He was not fleet of foot, but his hockey sense was outstanding. The last time I recall a college defenseman breaking up so many plays just by knowing they were coming was in Leopold's Hobey year. (Sorry for that, but it was frustrating at the time watching him deflect so many passes.) That's what Simpson did Thursday, get his stick in passing lanes just in the nick of time.

IMO...OD Colton and Bryn could be a terrific 2 way line for UND next year. Colton and Bryn are tough in the corners and along the walls in both ends and were very very good Thursday.

IMO...OD Colton and Bryn could be a terrific 2 way line for UND next year. Colton and Bryn are tough in the corners and along the walls in both ends and were very very good Thursday.

IMHO, I think that Bryn Chyzk is a rising star on the team, he was on the PK this season and I like the way he gets rid of the puck. Bryn is a good two-way player. If he starts popping in goals next year, UND could have some serious depth through all four of their forward lines. in other words, I think they only get even better.

IMHO, I think that Bryn Chyzk is a rising star on the team, he was on the PK this season and I like the way he gets rid of the puck. Bryn is a good two-way player. If he starts popping in goals next year, UND could have some serious depth through all four of their forward lines. in other words, I think they only get even better.

You know how I feel bout Bryn. I think he has top 6 skills. Personal issue hopefully aside I expect a big jump in his production next season

#mancrush #daughtersaidneverusehashtagsagain

• Upvote 1