SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA D-I basketball tournament

jimdahl

Do schools host games at campus sites in the women's tournament?

Having a neutral site game and having 4 teams travel is gonna be killer for attendance. Especially first and econd round games. It just makes sense to have schools host and have a sold out gym as opposed to the alternative.

Do schools host games at campus sites in the women's tournament?

It used to be where the top 16 seeds would host on campus, not sure if that's still the case.

EDIT: Some quick research says they preselect the host sites before the season, all college venues.

USD is a 15 seed and will play 2 seed Stanford.

I kind of have a hard time with that. USD's RPI is 137 and they very surprisingly won the tourney in a much weaker conference. 14 seed UND's RPI is 75 and they won in a much stronger league. Seems like there should be more separation there.

I guess my suspicions are confirmed: buttRPI don't mean much..............

Southern Utah and Montana both in the WNIT.

Big Sky is a solid "Mid-Major" women's basketball league.............

Congrats to both of them......

Was there ever a follow-up report on the Montana guard that was injured?

They were dead in the water when she left.

I kind of have a hard time with that. USD's RPI is 137 and they very surprisingly won the tourney in a much weaker conference. 14 seed UND's RPI is 75 and they won in a much stronger league. Seems like there should be more separation there.

I see what you did there... :lol:

bullseye

No one knows who you are and your conference has done nothing in the tournament.

In 2009 SDSU's Women were 32-3, ranked 14th in the country with an RPI in the low to mid 20s all year. We were given a 7 seed and sent to Waco to play TCU in round 1 and Baylor, at home in round 2. USD likely got a 15 by beating a top 50 RPI school who had a win over Penn State, UW Green Bay, Georgetown and CMU. We also played Stanford and had Notre Dame come to Brookings. SDSU had been to the tournament five years in a row till falling apart this year. Had we won the SL title again we likely would have been no better then a 12 seed. That's with an RPI in the low 40s. Get used to it. The Big Sky, just like the Summit is not considered a very good mid-major in Women's BB. If UND wants some respect, wants a better RPI and a better seed in the tournament you are going to have to earn it by scheduling better outside of the Big Sky. Brewster was in Brookings during the transition when AJ was taking on all comers. He will get it done if your adm will let him.

Oh, so you know that "terrible" Summit League also got two into the WNIT. One of whom should get one of the higher seeds based on history and current RPI. Of course that is also the school who regularly draws 5,000 - 6,000 for the Women's games in Sioux Falls for the SL tournament. What was UND's attendance in GF? Get behind your schools programs and good things will happen. You can say that it will get better with success but SDSU had over 5,000 at a WNIT game before we were eligible for the NCAA tournament. Personally I think UND can do MUCH better for their Women's program. One which I think could end up challenging SDSU for regional superiority if Brewster stays on.

Oh, so you know that "terrible" Summit League also got two into the WNIT. One of whom should get one of the higher seeds based on history and current RPI. Of course that is also the school who regularly draws 5,000 - 6,000 for the Women's games in Sioux Falls for the SL tournament. What was UND's attendance in GF? Get behind your schools programs and good things will happen. You can say that it will get better with success but SDSU had over 5,000 at a WNIT game before we were eligible for the NCAA tournament. Personally I think UND can do MUCH better for their Women's program. One which I think could end up challenging SDSU for regional superiority if Brewster stays on.

I never said the Summit was "terrible". I said it is "weaker" than the Big Sky, and traditionally it is as far as I can tell. Just look at the #buttRPI. The #buttRPI is never wrong and always says who is best. Just look at the #buttRPI, srsly, #buttRPI is where it is at. The #buttRPI is not prejudice. The #buttRPI does not play favorites. We would not have won the Big Sky conference this year if not for our #buttRPI. The #buttRPI is key.

• Upvote 1

Im not shocked at the seed, we could have done more during the season. Kinda sucks we ended up where we did, but it is what it is. We are in the tourney.

No one knows who you are and your conference has done nothing in the tournament.

In 2009 SDSU's Women were 32-3, ranked 14th in the country with an RPI in the low to mid 20s all year. We were given a 7 seed and sent to Waco to play TCU in round 1 and Baylor, at home in round 2. USD likely got a 15 by beating a top 50 RPI school who had a win over Penn State, UW Green Bay, Georgetown and CMU. We also played Stanford and had Notre Dame come to Brookings. SDSU had been to the tournament five years in a row till falling apart this year. Had we won the SL title again we likely would have been no better then a 12 seed. That's with an RPI in the low 40s. Get used to it. The Big Sky, just like the Summit is not considered a very good mid-major in Women's BB. If UND wants some respect, wants a better RPI and a better seed in the tournament you are going to have to earn it by scheduling better outside of the Big Sky. Brewster was in Brookings during the transition when AJ was taking on all comers. He will get it done if your adm will let him.

We did schedule Iowa, Iowa State, and the U this year. There is truth that we need to start beating these teams to get better seeds. I know for a fact how big SDSU treated their women teams like a big team that year. It was huge across South Dakota and SW Minnesota.

We need to schedule SDSU next year. no question about it. It has to happen.

Not sure what to say other than - Montana has represented the Big Sky 20 times in the NCAA rournament - they have gone to the second round 6 times and have been in the Sweet 16 once. I would hardly say that is nothing.

Not sure what to say other than - Montana has represented the Big Sky 20 times in the NCAA rournament - they have gone to the second round 6 times and have been in the Sweet 16 once. I would hardly say that is nothing.

There in lies the problem. Who besides Montana have had consistent success? Just like the Summit the Big Sky needs to have more teams step it up. If UND can consistently have success, and an Eastern, SUU or someone else has success, just less consistent suddenly the conference begins to be viewed differently. At that point a better seed, and an at large are attainable.

There in lies the problem. Who besides Montana have had consistent success? Just like the Summit the Big Sky needs to have more teams step it up. If UND can consistently have success, and an Eastern, SUU or someone else has success, just less consistent suddenly the conference begins to be viewed differently. At that point a better seed, and an at large are attainable.

I was answering your first comment:

I guess you have moved on... to your next point

UND and SUU tied for the conference title Montana finished third. Sac St. who finished 6th in conference at 10-10 in conference with 18-12 overall record with nonconference wins against: Cal St Northridge, SanDiegoState, Oregon, Utah Valley, St. Marys, San Jose St., UC-Irvine, I think that you would be hard pressed to find another 6th place team with that kind of resume outside of the B-5 conferences.