SiouxSports.com Forum

MN High School Boys Basketball Tourney

SWSiouxMN

Tourney gets underway on the Boys side tomorrow at the barn and Target Center

Schedule

Class A Quarterfinal Schedule — Thursday, March 13

11:00 a.m. — Park Christian vs. Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa at Williams Arena, U of M

1:00 p.m. — Fond du Lac Ojibwe vs. Canby at Williams Arena, U of M

3:00 p.m. — Red Lake vs. Maranatha Christian Academy at Williams Arena, U of M

5:00 p.m. — Atwater-Cosmos-Grove City vs. Rushford-Peterson at Williams Arena, U of M

Class AA Quarterfinal Schedule — Wednesday, March 12

6:00 p.m. — New London-Spicer vs. Annandale at Target Center

8:00 p.m. — St. Paul Academy and Summit School vs. Caledonia at Target Center

6:00 p.m. — East Grand Forks vs. Esko at Williams Arena, U of M

8:00 p.m. — St. Peter vs. Fairmont at Williams Arena, U of M

Class AAA Quarterfinals Schedule — Wednesday, March 12

10:00 a.m. — St. Paul Central vs. DeLaSalle at Williams Arena, U of M

12:00 p.m. — Marshall vs. Orono at Williams Arena, U of M

2:00 p.m. — Alexandria vs. Austin at Williams Arena, U of M

4:00 p.m. — Cloquet vs. Holy Family Catholic at Williams Arena, U of M

Class AAAA Quarterfinals Schedule — Wednesday, March 12

10:00 a.m. — Tartan vs. Hopkins at Target Center

12:00 p.m. — Shakopee vs. Osseo at Target Center

2:00 p.m. — Buffalo vs. Lakeville North at Target Center

4:00 p.m. — St. Francis vs. Cretin-Derham Hall at Target Center

EGF has a tough draw with Esko and DeLaSalle has the toughest non-seeded team in St. Paul Central.

Park Christian didn't get any favors....they beat the #2 ranked and lost undefeated team in the state to get there and they get the #1 team first round.

Thus the way of the random seeding. I wish they did it 1-8 in all classes, but I suppose it would be a bit tougher to do in the small schools.

The random draw also gave us conference matchups in 2A (New London-Spicer and Annandale (Wright County), Fairmont and St. Peter (South Central))

We are going to cheer on the Falcons. The school is absolutely buzzing. 1st ever trip to state. Erv Inninger has the players and the rest of the kids at PCS believing. He has asked and demanded probably more than each player thought they could give or produce and this is the result. If PCS can hit some outside shots and keep TOs low they have a chance. The Nickel boy in the middle is a human eraser. Needs 6 blocks Thursday to move into 3rd place all-time on the MN HS shot block list. Anyone know the top 2? Pretty elite company. Battle Lake got 2 shots blocked very early then didn't go inside much the rest of the Section championship. I have never been to the "Barn" so excited to watch a game in that venue. Win or lose tomorrow it will be a great day of HS BB and for PCS as a school. Erv said he is not planning to pack a suit just for Thursday.

GO FALCONS!!!!!

Gameday...early morning Venti and StarTribune at the local Cities/metro Starbucks. My oldest daughter said PCS made up and sold around 600 red t-shirts for today's game. We will be wearing 4 of them at the Barn.

GO FALCONS!!!

Park down 47-18 at half. They have just 2 more points than TOs at half. Park shooting probably 33% at best. BBE is shooting 80+% from floor. Unreal. Saw #2 Battle Lake play PCS. BBE is head and shoulders about BL. Huge gap between #1 and #2.

We are going to cheer on the Falcons. The school is absolutely buzzing. 1st ever trip to state. Erv Inninger has the players and the rest of the kids at PCS believing. He has asked and demanded probably more than each player thought they could give or produce and this is the result. If PCS can hit some outside shots and keep TOs low they have a chance. The Nickel boy in the middle is a human eraser. Needs 6 blocks Thursday to move into 3rd place all-time on the MN HS shot block list. Anyone know the top 2? Pretty elite company. Battle Lake got 2 shots blocked very early then didn't go inside much the rest of the Section championship. I have never been to the "Barn" so excited to watch a game in that venue. Win or lose tomorrow it will be a great day of HS BB and for PCS as a school. Erv said he is not planning to pack a suit just for Thursday.

GO FALCONS!!!!!

Great story. I work with them on much of their school apparel and we were able to do a quick turnaround for them after their win on Friday night so that most of their fans should be decked out in red today!

Gameday...early morning Venti and StarTribune at the local Cities/metro Starbucks. My oldest daughter said PCS made up and sold around 600 red t-shirts for today's game. We will be wearing 4 of them at the Barn.

GO FALCONS!!!

Yes they did! 640 to be exact.

Im hoping that Canby makes a run this year in Class A. The team has dedicated this year to the head coaches son, who was an assistant coach at my high school when I played, who died of cancer last summer.

tough loss for EGF, if they had gotten by Esko last night I think they would be playing for the title (they would have run by Fairmont)

85-50 final BBE over PCS.

BBE pulled plug w 5 minutes to go. PCS played a much better 2nd half. Shot better and BBE not as hot but PCS had 23 TOs and got out rebound 2-1. BBE is extremely good. Their 6'4" PG...smooth. Finished w 33.

Good experience for the school and kids.

anyone see this joke of Hopkins is making mnhs basket ball

won tip held ball for 3.40 minutes 1st OT

did same in 2nd ot

im glad we have shot clocks in ND

They need to get a shot clock but it is a smart move by Hopkins. Shakopee is sitting back in a zone and letting Hopkins just hold the ball and have the last shot so it makes sense for them to do that and not even give Shakopee a chance to win it. Would be very surprised if this doesn't spark the big shot clock debate.

Amir Coffey who hopefully will be a future Gopher just hit the game winner from behind the half-court line.

They need to get a shot clock but it is a smart move by Hopkins. Shakopee is sitting back in a zone and letting Hopkins just hold the ball and have the last shot so it makes sense for them to do that and not even give Shakopee a chance to win it. Would be very surprised if this doesn't spark the big shot clock debate.

Amir Coffey who hopefully will be a future Gopher just hit the game winner from behind the half-court line.

If you are expecting that, don't hold your breath. A few years ago a plucky St. Cloud Tech team under Wolters tried this against a star studded Hopkins squad. Nothing changed. We tried experimenting with it in non-conference games and only in both teams agreed to it and it didn't go over very well. The only way I ever see it happening is the top 2 classes.

If you do not want them to stall, then do something about it.

edit: and I can't believe I just defended Hopkins

Smart move? It's a joke. What a mockery of the game. There's one coach that is happy to win a game like that. One.

Why isn't it smart? Shakopee sits back in a zone and won't come out and guard the Hopkins guy so why shouldn't Hopkins hold the ball for the last shot since they don't have a shot clock. Hopkins has a big advantage if they force Shakopee to play man to man but instead they sat back in the zone and let what happened happen instead of trying to go out and win the game. I didn't like it and think they need a shot clock but it is the smart move by Hopkins and teams have tried to do this to them before but they play man to man defense and pressure the ball so it is harder for it to work.

If you are expecting that, don't hold your breath. A few years ago a plucky St. Cloud Tech team under Wolters tried this against a star studded Hopkins squad. Nothing changed. We tried experimenting with it in non-conference games and only in both teams agreed to it and it didn't go over very well. The only way I ever see it happening is the top 2 classes.

Yeah I'm not a Hopkins fan either but Shakopee just sat back and let it happen. The reason why it doesn't usually work against Hopkins is they will come out and pressure and really force teams to do something. I think the main argument against the shot clock is the cost to put them in and especially for the smaller schools.

Yeah I'm not a Hopkins fan either but Shakopee just sat back and let it happen. The reason why it doesn't usually work against Hopkins is they will come out and pressure and really force teams to do something. I think the main argument against the shot clock is the cost to put them in and especially for the smaller schools.

Exactly, and the MSHSL is too busy trying to screw up football to really focus on this change.

Why stop at five minutes? Win the opening jump ball and hold it for 19:50 and win each half 2-0. Brilliant strategy.

They did it late in the game to have the last shot and it isn't real hard to figure out why it is the smart strategy. Didn't start to do it until Shakopee sat back and let them. Shakopee tried to do it a little bit but Hopkins pressured and made them turn it over and got a break out of it and got 2 free throws as a result.

I fail to see how using a shot clock could "not go over well". Where is the mystery?

it didn't go over very well because of how the rule was applied. Non-conference games with constent from both teams, or all team from a holiday tournament. I played with a shot clock for 2 of the 3 games in our holiday tournament the year it was implemented (we had a conference game for the last one). It didn't go over well in the sense that it wasn't implanted.

tough loss for EGF, if they had gotten by Esko last night I think they would be playing for the title (they would have run by Fairmont)

real tough draw for egf and unfortunate bc they should have been seeded. Ranked #3 according to computer qrf out of state qualifying teams. Granted you still have to beat everyone and we had few too many turnovers and gave up few too many offensive boards. Really showed that we belonged especially against team that has been there before. Egf hadn't been since 71.

Btw anyone notice floor wasn't raised for this tourney at Williams? They had platform and moved back first rows of seats. I know been lots complaints about pushing seats and fans back from court at target center.

Edit: forgot to mention the bummer on seed was having tough first game. There is no consolation bracket in basketball...which is ridiculous.