SiouxSports.com Forum

Round 1: UND vs. Sacramento State

UNDsportsFANATIC

Thats a nice, positive outlook. All depends which team shows up though. I would love to see both UND and NDSU in the NCAA tourney this year.

I saw Eastern Kentucky already made the tourney, and the coaches cousin is a UND alum.

Unfortunately, if UND wins the BSC tourney, I'm guessing we'll be looking at a play-in game to get in the real tourney with our record.

Unfortunately, if UND wins the BSC tourney, I'm guessing we'll be looking at a play-in game to get in the real tourney with our record.

That to me is still in the tourney. Its a 68 NCAA field and we would be more than happy to be part of the 68 no matter where or who we play.

So much wrong with this but I am not going to highjack this thread - it's playoff time. Carry on.

You already did when you asked gfhockey specifics about how we got Muss out, so I gave my opinion and you said its wrong, not to hijack the thread. Try not hijacking the thread by not asking him in the first place. Think McFly think.

That to me is still in the tourney. Its a 68 NCAA field and we would be more than happy to be part of the 68 no matter where or who we play.

I would be pleased making it to this obviously but I don't really consider it part of the tournament. If they do make it to the tournament I plan on going unless they are in the play-in game.

You already did when you asked gfhockey specifics about how we got Muss out, so I gave my opinion and you said its wrong, not to hijack the thread. Try not hijacking the thread by not asking him in the first place. Think McFly think.

The subject of getting the football coach fired was put out there, but I'm fine with your finger wagging because you always do it with such maturity and respect. Nice quote by the way - is that guy your hero?

Meh, agree to disagree. Now if we were to win the BSC and the play-in game and actually make it into the real tourney, then we can all be happy :)

Edit: With that said, let's beat ballSac St first!!

Please tell me you're kidding me green team. It is just So much on the coach as it is on the players. If that was the case, coaches wouldn't even exist. Coaches get paid to put there players in the best situations and the best systems.

If you don't believe it's on the coaches, then you shouldn't watch sports my man. Both players and coaches play intricate roles buddy.

Exactly- it's on the players as well as the coaches. Again, I drink the kool aid. Despite the disappointments, I'm still all in with this team, that means all the players and coaching staff. But I believe any issue to be multidimensional. I don't think when a team struggles that anybody should be let off the hook, from coach's to players. They win together, they lose together, that's all my opinion. It all starts on Thursday and I think if we play solid D, especially against McKinney and Garritty, we will be in good position to win. It's my favorite time of year.

When is it up to the players? Do you know how much the staff has the team prepare for each opponent? Film? Practice Court? How much time does the staff break down the opposing team? I don't know the answers to these questions, but you seem to make it sound that this coaching staff just drives up to the arena and says "ok, good luck". I would find that hard to believe. Secondly, I think it's quite apparent where the issues have been this year. When this team goes awry, for example (MontanaSt @ home and @ Sac St) some players come out looking like they have it all figured themselves, you got 1 guy trying to play D, and 3 others spaced out. And 1 guy trying to do way too much on offense, or not getting into the offense(careful, before you assume that I'm trying to insinuate a certain player, that's not the case as they all have had their horrible moments. I have a feeling if you've watched our staff, that they can't even believe why our guys do what they do sometimes.

I think this might be closer to reality is when we were recruiting 4 or 5 years ago, we were so talent deficient that we desperately needed to improve in that area, so we in order to get some guys who could close the the gap we got guys who could really play, but may not understand the game really well or even have the ability to do so. I think its extremely difficult to find those complete guys especially at our level... So when you look at these guys trying to get around screens or being on the wrong side of someone on a cut... If they haven't got it by now they most likely never will. But I'm pretty sure the staff coaches those elements because thats the one thing that last years senior class was really good at... Positionally they we very good and they had to be because they didn't have alot of natural talent. If they haven't got it by now they most likely never will, doesn't make them bad people, but what we have is number of guys who have very good ability who either turn off or don't understand or carry out concepts. But lets lay some blame at them, they are veterans and can either choose for themselves to figure it out or dont. I don't state these things to be mean, because I really like our guys and still think they can do something, but after watching them I tend to think a fair amount of them "being ready" as you say is more about them than the coaches.

1st post. What this guy said.

Would a play in game count as a tourney win for the conference in regards to tv money payouts? I doubt it would but have no idea.

A play-in game is considered a 1st round game. All games won count as a unit for the conference involved except the championship game. Thought the Summit had a play-if game a couple of years ago.

Edit: Oakland beat Alabama A&M in a play in game in 2005. That was the last game the much vaunted Summit League (in Fargo and Sioux Falls) won in the tournament. The Summit League doesn't get any extra units of pay because that was so long ago. The last winning Summit League round of 64 team was Valpo in 1998 when they beat Ole Miss and then Florida.

Making the tournament is making the tournament. Whether ytou are a 1 seed, a 12 seed or a play in 16 seed. If we end up winning the Big SKy and have to play in Dayton on Tuesday or Wednesday, I would still consider it a great accomplishment for this team and the University. Heck, we could even have a great shot at winning a tournament game!!

Although this was a disappointing season, I like our chances. The team really had a lot of travel to get to Cedar City on short turnaround from the UNC game. Its not surprising that they lost, as they had bus and plane legs. I hope they fly into Salt Lake tomorrow, as that will give their legs time to recover. Weber isn't playing that well, so if we get that far they could be knocked off. We'd end up in Dayton for the 1st round, and likely play a SWAC or MEAC team.

A play-in game is considered a 1st round game. All games won count as a unit for the conference involved except the championship game. Thought the Summit had a play-if game a couple of years ago.

Edit: Oakland beat Alabama A&M in a play in game in 2005. That was the last game the much vaunted Summit League (in Fargo and Sioux Falls) won in the tournament. The Summit League doesn't get any extra units of pay because that was so long ago. The last winning Summit League round of 64 team was Valpo in 1998 when they beat Ole Miss and then Florida.

Thanks for the info. That makes it almost preferable to be in a play in game then. Either way, I hope we play well enough that we are talking about whether or not we will be in a play in game or not come next Sunday!

Making the tournament is making the tournament. Whether ytou are a 1 seed, a 12 seed or a play in 16 seed. If we end up winning the Big SKy and have to play in Dayton on Tuesday or Wednesday, I would still consider it a great accomplishment for this team and the University. Heck, we could even have a great shot at winning a tournament game!!

I agree. I would be happy at any seed UND gets.

As of now..only 2 out of the 4 conference tourneys has a team dancing that also won the regular season title. #1 seed is NOT a guarantee you will be dancing, especially in a one bid league like ours.

Respectfully disagree. Kinda like saying you made the MLB playoffs after losing the Wild-Card game. Unless you're in the bracket of 64, you're not really 'in.'

Respectfully disagree. Kinda like saying you made the MLB playoffs after losing the Wild-Card game. Unless you're in the bracket of 64, you're not really 'in.'

I fully agree. The playin game means nothing and it's almost an embarrassment if you are in it. I'm really hoping the BSC champ gets a 15 seed to prove all the naysayers wrong about the strength of the conference. I don't understand how the BSC can be ranked as low as it is in some projected brackets.

I fully agree. The playin game means nothing and it's almost an embarrassment if you are in it. I'm really hoping the BSC champ gets a 15 seed to prove all the naysayers wrong about the strength of the conference. I don't understand how the BSC can be ranked as low as it is in some projected brackets.

Out league had been terribly inconsistent this season. The play in game is no embarrassment. Every team in the NIT would trade their spot for a place in the play in game.

Out league had been terribly inconsistent this season. The play in game is no embarrassment. Every team in the NIT would trade their spot for a place in the play in game.

Yup, there will be about 290 other teams wishing they were in the play in game. Being in the play in game means we won the Big Sky Conference tournament and being in the play in game would be the next step in the history of UND.

Why would it be more highly ranked? Nobody beat anybody of note in non-conference play and we all beat up on each other in the conference season. If you want to go by RPI, the entire league had 2 victories against teams in RPI top 50. The best win for the conference? Our win over NDSU who sits at 39. The Summit vs Big Sky argument has been debatable in the last handful of years but it is not debatable this season.