SiouxSports.com Forum

Kvly's decision to air bison basketball instead of the hawks-pens

Redneksioux

Yes, basketball is so F'n huge that a junior hockey team in Fargo that has 7 wins all season is outdrawing NDSU basketball.

Idk if they are this year. Once the BSA gets fixed up it will change I think. I know some have bought season tickets now so they can get grandfathered in case of ticket raises.

Fargo and grand forks I think really like hockey..... But small towns and places like Jamestown Dickinson Williston etc are way more basketball friendly. If they decided to air the hockey game.... I don't think many people would have cared but to claim tons of people are upset the hockey wasn't on is a reach at best.

Anyone else see the Fighting Sioux flag/banner hanging in the upper deck? Camera caught it when scanning the crowd during a break in play.

Pretty sure I know the guy who did that. Ndsu grad who loves trolling cause he is a hockey guy.

KVLY is very pro Bison, they are supposed to represent the "valley" where in reality they only care about the southern valley. I watch VNL for news and weather then WDAY for sports. Dom Izzo talks more about UND than KVLY does and shows more highlights. Tonight they (KVLY) showed a little bit of UND basketball highlights but not the buzzer beater where WDAY showed it. I bet if it was NDSU they would have shown it and had post game interviews. KVLY is a crap station when it comes to covering the "whole" valley.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was funny when they tried to apologize and said they tried to get NBC to allow them to move the hockey game to me tv like that was actually a realistic possibility. They should of put the NDSU game on me tv like usual and I really don't know why they needed to stick with the Senior night stuff instead of go right to the hockey game. I did get a good laugh out of some of Saul's comments about a guy being a real NBA prospect and stuff like that though. This is at least the 2nd time I have contacted KVLY because of something like this and the other was them showing the NDSU pre-game football show instead of the Army All-American game.

Ok, everyone needs to seriously calm down. It was a Blackhawks/Pens game. It wasn't UND or even the Wild. Of course they are going to show a local team. Plus this was probably set up months ago. Last game at the old BSA, and had a potential to be a conference championship clinching game. Don't get me wrong, I would rather watch anything other than NDSU basketball. I wanted to watch the hockey game at Soldier Field. But am I gonna get all pissed off and rant and rave on a message board and send emails and call KVLY to complain? No. Some of you on here are way too sensitive when you don't get it your way. And it goes beyond tv schedules. Calm down relax and focus on things in your life that are more important instead of the broadcast schedule of a television station.

• Upvote 2

Ok, everyone needs to seriously calm down. It was a Blackhawks/Pens game. It wasn't UND or even the Wild. Of course they are going to show a local team. Plus this was probably set up months ago. Last game at the old BSA, and had a potential to be a conference championship clinching game. Don't get me wrong, I would rather watch anything other than NDSU basketball. I wanted to watch the hockey game at Soldier Field. But am I gonna get all pissed off and rant and rave on a message board and send emails and call KVLY to complain? No. Some of you on here are way too sensitive when you don't get it your way. And it goes beyond tv schedules. Calm down relax and focus on things in your life that are more important instead of the broadcast schedule of a television station.

Of course there are more important things in life. I get that. But to me this was a disappointment. There's only a handful of national NHL games on NBC every season and kvly/NBC nd just axed one of them and a very good matchup at that. What other way to let them know of my disappointment with their decision - I emailed them and I hope anyone else upset with their decision did so as well.

• Upvote 1

I am tempted to let advertisers know that in the western part of the state, this is crap. ndsu is only of interest in fargo. put it on there if they want. but dont make us out west watch it.

...... one of the dumber things I have ever read.

...... one of the dumber things I have ever read.

I don't think it's dumb. This isn't Bison football, it was a Bison basketball game. No one outside of Fargo cares. Take your Yellow and Green glasses off and exit the Fargo area.

People saying, everyone one should calm down, c'mon! You had two great NHL teams with the Blackhaws and Penquins (Toews vs Crosby, first game against each other) with a national televised game, at Soilder Field with 62,000 fans in attendace, under the lights. But, hey, go air that super-hyped, everyone in the region cares game, the Bison vs Denver basketball game. Oh, but it's the last game at the venue, blah, blah, blah. Absoultly horrible decison by KVLY. I seriously hope someone gets fired!

Add fuel to the fire, once the game ended, they had that extra Senior night and coaching crap go on forever. Wow, was that embarrassing. I am a UND alum, and if this was UND basketball, I would be shaking my head.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's dumb. This isn't Bison football, it was a Bison basketball game. No one outside of Fargo cares. Take your Yellow and Green glasses off and exit the Fargo area.

People saying, everyone one should calm down, c'mon! You had two great NHL teams with the Blackhaws and Penquins (Toews vs Crosby, first game against each other) with a national televised game, at Soilder Field with 62,000 fans in attendace, under the lights. But, hey, go air that super-hyped, everyone in the region cares game, the Bison vs Denver basketball game. Oh, but it's the last game at the venue, blah, blah, blah. Absoultly horrible decison by KVLY. I seriously hope someone gets fired!

Add fuel to the fire, once the game ended, they had that extra Senior night and coaching crap go on forever. Wow, was that embarrassing. I am a UND alum, and if this was UND basketball, I would be shaking my head.

Hmmm do we air a local division 1 basketball game..... Or a hockey game that doesn't have local teams?

Easy question to answer every time. You are pretending that this was an NFL playoff game being left off TV.....

Hmmm do we air a local division 1 basketball game..... Or a hockey game that doesn't have local teams?

Easy question to answer every time. You are pretending that this was an NFL playoff game being left off TV.....

You just don't just get it. And no, I am not pretedning this is an NFL playoff game being left off TV.

You are pretending that this wasnt a bad decision by kvly. You obviously haven't checked out their Facebook page to see what viewers have had to say. What would happen if a local station pre-empted football on thanksgiving? Whoever made the call at Kvly to only show part of the third period of last nights NHL game should be canned for their lack of reasoning.

You are pretending that this wasnt a bad decision by kvly. You obviously haven't checked out their Facebook page to see what viewers have had to say. What would happen if a local station pre-empted football on thanksgiving? Whoever made the call at Kvly to only show part of the third period of last nights NHL game should be canned for their lack of reasoning.

... so because some und folks got mad someone should be fired? It was a hockey game...... Between two teams that have zero connection to this area..... NDSU has a connection to the area. You are really trying to make this more difficult than it needs to be.

... so because some und folks got mad someone should be fired? It was a hockey game...... Between two teams that have zero connection to this area..... NDSU has a connection to the area. You are really trying to make this more difficult than it needs to be.

hockey fans aren't part of reality. They think their sport matters and more than a smattering of die-hards care. Neither is true.

• Upvote 1

Toews plays for the Blackhawks and played at UND that is a little bit of connection. Nick Leddy plays for the Hawks and is from Minnesota and I think the Penguins have a player or two from Northern Minnesota as well. This didn't just effect people in North Dakota, I live in Northwest Minnesota and there aren't very many people who care about NDSU basketball at all and would rather watch any kind of hockey. I have seen a lot of people from around this area very upset by it and saying they don't care about NDSU and this is Minnesota so why did they get stuck with the game.

the vocal minority of hockey only fans out making themselves look like rubes again. If UND men's BB was in a similar position, I would hope they would preempt some who-gives-a-!@#$ mid season NHL game. NCAA BB > NHL

This isn't Duke and North Carolina or a major conference game this is NDSU and a hockey school Denver and it is nowhere close to the NHL level. I would hope they would show a NHL game over a small conference basketball game no matter the teams or if they are in the local region. NDSU should have been on that me tv thing like they have been for all their other games.

Toews plays for the Blackhawks and played at UND that is a little bit of connection. Nick Leddy plays for the Hawks and is from Minnesota and I think the Penguins have a player or two from Northern Minnesota as well. This didn't just effect people in North Dakota, I live in Northwest Minnesota and there aren't very many people who care about NDSU basketball at all and would rather watch any kind of hockey. I have seen a lot of people from around this area very upset by it and saying they don't care about NDSU and this is Minnesota so why did they get stuck with the game.

Tough luck. One side was not going to get what they wanted.... The local group rightfully won. We get stuck having the Minnesota hockey championship on tv here... Why the heck should we get stuck with that? Two way street bro.

the vocal minority of hockey only fans out making themselves look like rubes again. If UND men's BB was in a similar position, I would hope they would preempt some who-gives-a-!@#$ mid season NHL game. NCAA BB > NHL

Yep. Keep telling yourself that no one cares about the NHL and hockey. Look at the national ratings of that game last night, let alone the 62,000 NHL fans at the outdoor game. Yep, no one cares about hockey.

By the way, UND basketball is superior than NDSU basketball and I would still be storming in anger too, if it was a UND basketball game that took precedence over the Hawks/Pens game in the surrounding, local area.

NDSU vs Denver for a D1 basketball game is laughable. It was a joke that this was aired! Oh, wait, I forgot, Denver has such a large national presence for their basketball team. Denver has a basketball team, seriously? Nobody cares!

• Upvote 1

Tough luck. One side was not going to get what they wanted.... The local group rightfully won. We get stuck having the Minnesota hockey championship on tv here... Why the heck should we get stuck with that? Two way street bro.

What channel is it put on? Is it a major network that makes you miss something big or some smaller network that nothing would be on anyway? I know a lot of people in ND who love that they get to see the best state tournament in the nation and one of the best sporting events to attend, haven't ever seen too many complaining about having it on.

It's funny how none of you people know how local TV actual works. Yes, airing a bison bbgame over a national televised hockey may upset a few people but local television is what KVLY is all about. Local advertisers are more willing to put their money into a Bison bball game instead of a national televised game that KVLY probably was only allowed to sell 2 - 4 spots in it anyway. Be prepared to see a lot more locally produced programs on both KVLY and WDAZ/WDAY

• Upvote 1