SiouxSports.com Forum

MN High School Hockey Tourney

hrkac

I've seen a lot of EGF games and this was not a normal one for them. In fact worst I've seen them play since before Bowen came back. Granted I think that was Warroad doing good job of pressuring. Too often EGF was just dumping out of own zone instead of breaking out.

Weber has been solid all year in net. Granted he normally faces an average of like 12 shots.

Ice looked awful slow. Puck seemed sticky. Not sure if a detriment or advantage for either team.

EGF should be the #1 seed as Breck has a few more losses. But Breck got EGF bad with a 6-0 win. But that was EGF beating #1 double A Blaine (I believe) at night and then having to turn around and play like a noon start against Breck.

Even better news for everyone in Minnesota...St Thomas loss in OT to Eagan and will not be going to state.

How are those cake-eaters going to eat their humble pie? With or without Cool Whip? :devil:

Hopkins is the worst but my son's class at Minnetonka had 12 tranfers for basketball his age from 9-11 grade. 5 as freshman, 4 as sophs and 3 as juniors. Many of them leave for various reasons but flush out the local kids on the way. His senior year Minnetonka started 3 Minneapolis , 1 Eden Prairie and 1 Benilde transfer. Kids don't go to the basketball games because they really don't know many of the players.

I had heard that Minnetonka wasn't going to be outdone by Hopkins...had no idea it was THAT bad. Yikes.

I coached a kid playing 10 year old baseball in Bloomington a couple of years ago...the next season, I saw him playing on the posh west-side traveling team. He wasn't recruited but his sister was - so she could play basketball...in the Jaguar program...at 12 years old. Unbelievable.

I had heard that Minnetonka wasn't going to be outdone by Hopkins...had no idea it was THAT bad. Yikes.

I coached a kid playing 10 year old baseball in Bloomington a couple of years ago...the next season, I saw him playing on the posh west-side traveling team. He wasn't recruited but his sister was - so she could play basketball...in the Jaguar program...at 12 years old. Unbelievable.

Funny thing is, you never here a PUBLIC school fan admit they recruit, they say only its done by the Private schools. Even know you give them multiple examples of public school recruiting.

Funny thing is, you never here a PUBLIC school fan admit they recruit, they say only its done by the Private schools. Even know you give them multiple examples of public school recruiting.

I'd beg to differ on Warroad. Hockeytown USA is pretty well known to bring in talent (especially when there happens to be a family member on the roster). I've also seen ads in Let's Play Hockey recruiting families to move to TRF for Digi Key - and hockey - opportunities.

I am a public school fan and I hate the recruiting that goes on. I used to feel bad when we lost players to other schools but as my kids went through the programs it was much more damaging to the local kids when others moved in and pushed local kids out.

The public school administrations love the transfers because of the state $$ that come with them. I think it is ove $10k per student. Our district has over 100 per grade which adds up about $10-12 milliion per year. Many kids transfer for things other than sports.

Edina students lobbed a "public school" chant at the Holy Angels students a few years ago (Danny Mattson's last game as a Star) at the Hornets/Stars game at Bloomington Ice Gardens. I just about died laughing at the irony of the #1 cake-eating school in the state taunting someone else.

As gfhockey would say: "bullies!"

I'd beg to differ on Warroad. Hockeytown USA is pretty well known to bring in talent (especially when there happens to be a family member on the roster). I've also seen ads in Let's Play Hockey recruiting families to move to TRF for Digi Key - and hockey - opportunities.

My brother in law was offered a job in Warroad to get his son there because he was a good bantam player. He turned them down.

You can add: Elk River hockey, Apple Valley wrestling, St. Paul Central girls ball, Moorhead Spuds Football ( at least they did when I was in high school), Fargo North ( my sister was recruited by the girls bball coach to get her to transfer from Fargo Shanley to Fargo North).

Point is some Public schools recruit.

When did Moorhead recruit for football? They sure didn't seem to when I was there, considering their records every year.

I'd give NP and yes ever Luverne a shot to be seeded in class A.

They both probably have a shot at the #5 seed as that one isn't real clear but I think Orono will end up with it because of them beating Breck in the section championships. Interested to see Luverne seeing they are undefeated but they really haven't played anybody so kinda hard to get a read on them.

Wait a second...so the school that continues to play in A hockey so they can dominate that level rather than risk being eliminated earlier in AA, the same school that continues to play Roseau, Moorhead, and other big-wigs of Class AA so they can play "better competition," is the same school that DOESN'T recruit kids?

Wait a second...so the school that continues to play in A hockey so they can dominate that level rather than risk being eliminated earlier in AA, the same school that continues to play Roseau, Moorhead, and other big-wigs of Class AA so they can play "better competition," is the same school that DOESN'T recruit kids?

I respect Roseau for playing up in AA more than Warroad for playing A (and playing some AA teams). Regardless I'll always cheer for northern MN teams over 1) metro teams and 2) certainly over private schools.

Northern MN HS teams have challenges for 1) losing top players to USHL and 2) don't have the depth to recover from losing top players.

• Upvote 1

I respect Roseau for playing up in AA more than Warroad for playing A (and playing some AA teams). Regardless I'll always cheer for northern MN teams over 1) metro teams and 2) certainly over private schools.

Warroad is no better than STA in terms of sand-bagging in A.

State A tournament appearances:

1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Wasn't the idea of the two-class system supposed to be giving more schools the opportunity to play in the state hockey tournament?

As gfhockey would say...

How long wil warrod acept mediokrity?

fire steve haateja?

Warroad is no better than STA in terms of sand-bagging in A.

State A tournament appearances:

1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Wasn't the idea of the two-class system supposed to be giving more schools the opportunity to play in the state hockey tournament?

As gfhockey would say...

How long wil warrod acept mediokrity?

fire steve haateja?

He was one and done.

Jaaay Hardwickz now onn da hhhhhhooooooooootttttttttttttt seeeeeeetttt

When did Moorhead recruit for football? They sure didn't seem to when I was there, considering their records every year.

A guy I went to High School with (Fargo Shanley) went to St. Joes parochial school in Moorhead. When he went to Shanley instead of Moorhead high the High school coach for two years was recruiting him to transfer from Shanley to Moorhead to play football.

Couldn't believe he went from Litchfield-Dassel Cokato to Warroad. I think he moved back to L-DC

One and done? I didn't know that. What's the scoop?

I wonder if it turned out to not be the gem it was perceived to be (the coaching job)?? Thought the family went back to L-DC pretty quickly, but heard something about he went to the oil fields for a bit after leaving Warroad. No idea beyond that.

One and done? I didn't know that. What's the scoop?

They only went 14-12-1 in his one season and Warroad wouldn't accept that mediocrity haha. I think there was a lot more pressure than he expected and a lot more than he wanted to deal with. I remember his son was supposed to be a real good player but turned out to be average at hockey and a better football player and I think I remember hearing some rumblings about his kid shouldn't be playing as much as he was and he shouldn't be playing with who he was. I think that job just ended up being too much for him and not sure he had the backing of a lot of Warroad people.

Recruiting is bad in Minnesota. I think what ticks public school backers off is the fact that private schools can openly recruit whatever player they'd like no circumstances attached. And what ticks private school backers off is being called the only recruiters in a very corrupt system.

I'd personally like to see a private school section in AA hockey. Imagine that section tournament......

Never happen though.....