SiouxSports.com Forum

MN High School Hockey Tourney

hrkac

Edina adds another one after a bad Lakeville turnover for a 5-2 lead. Feels weird to say but Lakeville is lucky Oettinger has kept Edina only at 5 so far. Lakeville hasn't got much going offensively and Edina is getting chances from scoring areas rather routinely.

Bellows quickly adds another one on a tip in all alone in front for the 6-2 lead.

Edina leads 6-2 after 2. Lakeville North will open the 3rd with about 4 minutes remaining on a major penalty to Tyler Naane. Lakeville has to find some energy for this 3rd and generate some chances offensively but at the same time tighten things up defensively because Edina has had quite a few real good opportunities.

Edina just does a good job of getting teams off their game. Some of those open ice hits they line up are just devastating for an opponent. And usually they score soon after because of the momentum they create.

It could be 9-2.

Edina just too good...

Jersey watch: Wilbur already brought it up but Lakeville North's Quebec Nordiques look-alike jerseys are intriguing.

I think Edina should put a cake on the front of their jerseys. Just cause they can.

No disrespect intended to either of these teams, but if you have the guts to play the Blaines, Moorheads, Roseaus, and Duluth Easts of the world during the season, why are you still playing A hockey when it comes to playoff time? The sectional scores of these two teams (outside of EGF's OT win over Warroad) were pretty ridiculous.

This year EGF could've played AA, but c'mon man. This was only their 9th trip to state and they had never won. The scores from section games is because hockey in northwest MN is dieing other than at Warroad, EGF and TRF where it has been crazy competitive though TRF is going to struggle for few years. EGF only has 500 kids and to put in perspective, Bemidji has 1500. Oh and St. Thomas got away with staying A because they have 500 kids. BUT ALL BOYS!

This was the first year EVER they won the Mariucci conference which includes Moorhead, Bemidji, and Roseau from AA along with TRF, Warroad and Crookston I believe. Keep in mind Roseau opted up in the 90s because they never could beat Warroad and proved they had legit teams. Also now if you go AA your bantam teams have to. For the really big schools it's not a big deal, because they can put their second or third team in single A. I'm not sure if you're forced to opt girls hockey to AA as well.

This was a fantastic team full of great guys. A retiring ref had a letter published in the Exponent talking about how the whole team saluted and thanked him after his last game.

If you didn't know EGF boys basketball has now also qualified for state. Hasn't happened since 1971. Very difficult to do as their section 8AA has 17 teams in it and the southern section teams (Highway 10) don't have hockey to compete for players with. They have some crazy coop combinations for hockey. They play Wednesday night at 6 against Esko in Williams arena.

• Upvote 1

...includes Moorhead, Bemidji, and Roseau from AA along with TRF, Warroad and Crookston I believe. Keep in mind Roseau opted up in the 90s because they never could beat Warroad and proved they had legit teams.

Interesting theory, considering that 1989 was Warroad's last one-tier tournament appearance ever. Roseau went to state in 1990 and 1991, followed by Moorhead in 1992 and 1993.

Interesting theory, considering that 1989 was Warroad's last one-tier tournament appearance ever. Roseau went to state in 1990 and 1991, followed by Moorhead in 1992 and 1993.

Then the split happened and Warroad went next four years and Roseau opted up in 98. Which is when EGF beat Warroad in I believe 2ot to go and end the streak. I should state I don't know for sure on Roseau reason, but what I've always heard. I think Roseau then went first 3 years they were AA.
  • Upvote 1

Then the split happened and Warroad went next four years and Roseau opted up in 98. Which is when EGF beat Warroad in I believe 2ot to go and end the streak. I should state I don't know for sure on Roseau reason, but what I've always heard. I think Roseau then went first 3 years they were AA.

You're a fountain of information, Smoggy! Thanks for the insight...interesting info there. Roseau conveniently doesn't list the time-frame of 1994-1997 on its web site. Hmnnnn...

• Upvote 1

Good discussion on the differences between Class A and AA hockey in Minnesota. With the rise of the wealthy suburban programs in the MSP metro area and the presence of private academies that recruit because they can, I don't think we'll ever see a one-class system again. And that is how it should be. It just isn't realistic to have schools the size of EGF, TRF and Warroad try to compete with big schools like Duluth East, Edina, Apple Valley, Bloomington Jefferson, ect. It's not that there isn't any talent in Class A, it's that the small schools lack the depth to compete consistently with Class AA schools with a 2 to 3 fold enrollment advantage. Of course, some of the "Class 2A" hockey snobs will try to tell you that Class A is glorified JV, but I think T.J. Oshie and others have proven that wrong over the years.

Warroad is no better than STA in terms of sand-bagging in A.

State A tournament appearances:

1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Wasn't the idea of the two-class system supposed to be giving more schools the opportunity to play in the state hockey tournament?

As gfhockey would say...

How long wil warrod acept mediokrity?

fire steve haateja?

Ok.....that is wicked funny right there!!!!!