SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

for someone who winces at the thought, you sure like to come up with schemes for UND to do it.

I didn't come up with the scheme, I just recognized what Fullerton is planning to do. Verified by the opens record request to Idaho.

There is zero reason the Big Sky Presidents ever allow a non-football team in. Idaho is an exception because it will get the conference to FBS.

I didn't come up with the scheme, I just recognized what Fullerton is planning to do. Verified by the opens record request to Idaho.

There is zero reason the Big Sky Presidents ever allow a non-football team in. Idaho is an exception because it will get the conference to FBS.

So in your review of the records from UI, did they identify specific Big Sky schools that are interested? I still have a difficult timing seeing this come to fruition. IF it does, I would love to see UND be a part of it, but not sure we can afford it.

So in your review of the records from UI, did they identify specific Big Sky schools that are interested? I still have a difficult timing seeing this come to fruition. IF it does, I would love to see UND be a part of it, but not sure we can afford it.

No. They still owe me much of what I requested. I am sure Idaho doesn't appreciate it and there could be legal proceedings against me if I publish it. The Sun Belt wanted the WAC dead as an FBS conference (hence Idaho had to leave). The Sun Belt doesn't have a problem with the Big Sky, as long as it doesn't infringe on its territory (but the formation of the Big Sky will cut into some Sun Belt revenue, but that's several years away and the WAC didn't become a southeast conference). By joining the Sun Belt and Big Sky, both conferences make exceptions to what they normally allow, as the Sun Belt kills the WAC FBS and the Big Sky can be FBS at a later date with Idaho's and the Sun Belt help. The Big Sky needs time. No Big Sky schools were listed based on the info gained, so I honestly don't know if UND has plans. The Big Sky does have FBS plans.

Utah would have 5 fbs schools. Colorado 4. Montana 2. Thats more than those states can support. Most of the schools in the big sky cannot support fbs football at a competitive level, either be cause the can't afford it or because their recruiting footprint is already saturated.

Utah would have 5 fbs schools. Colorado 4. Montana 2. Thats more than those states can support. Most of the schools in the big sky cannot support fbs football at a competitive level, either be cause the can't afford it or because their recruiting footprint is already saturated.

Florida and California can support 12 and 20 FBS programs by population but have 7 and 7. Where's the equity there? FBS programs exist where schools can fund them. The Big Sky will never challenge the Mountain West, but its where Boise St and Nevada came from. Ten years ago the same thing was said about the Sun Belt, that they'd never be competitive. They lost a bunch of teams and gained a bunch of FCS schools, but now there's a debate if they are stronger that CUSA and the MAC.

It's heartening that this thread is causing a meltdown on bisonville: http://www.bisonvill...-style)/page106 :lol:

For years we've been hearing there how UND will never go DI, how UND won't get in a conference especially the Big Sky, how UND is uncompetitive in DI. My statements to the contrary were always put in the preposterous category there, but they came true. This will come true in a couple of years. NDSU had their chance to join the Big Sky recently. Their fans only mock it. The Big Sky will have the last laugh.

Good luck with Patty Viverito at the MVFC. She's a puppet of the basketball schools, can't get football cable contract, and wants to stay FCS.

All I know is UND better be apart of any BigSky plans that include Montana and Montana State. UND cannot miss this.

Refurbish Memorial to 17,000 with lights for ESPN / FoxSports1 weeknight games. Late season games play in the Alerus.

9 Big Sky home and away

1 FCS home (USD or SDSU)

1 OOC Sun Belt or MAC H/A

1 Big Ten or MWC or Pac 12 away

Hey SiouxVolley, you sure do not have to justify yourself to those guys down south.

Hey, I know. But love that it causes them to go bat !@#$ crazy is a side benefit to this thread. They always underestimate what UND can do.

Reading bisonville gives me ideas on investing. They are always talking about pizza delivery guys, so I asked around and chose to invest in Domino's. Its gone up by a factor of 10. Same with Buffalo Wild Wings. Maybe Sally can get naming rights to Memorial!

YUP und sure is light years ahead of ndsu!!! SiouxVolley reminds me of a show I used to watch as a kid, it was called mr rogers neighborhood, some of you might remember the skits about the world of make believe.

What you guys fail to understand is that somethings can't be seen right away, and the stuff behind the scenes can be just as important, if not more important.

SV doesn't believe half the *^it he posts, but it does give him lots of attention as some here hang on his every post. In the case of the thread, he says he doesn't want any trolls, but he clearly is begging for them. HE is the troll.

Moving FBS isn't a crazy thought, and the bar is low in many of these conferences. But the rules clearly say that you have to join an existing conference, and Volley's ideas clearly violate that requirement, which he is well aware. Teams will get invited to FBS conferences in 1's and 2's, not groups of 10's and 12's. I can assure you of that.

SV doesn't believe half the *^it he posts, but it does give him lots of attention as some here hang on his every post. In the case of the thread, he says he doesn't want any trolls, but he clearly is begging for them. HE is the troll.

Moving FBS isn't a crazy thought, and the bar is low in many of these conferences. But the rules clearly say that you have to join an existing conference, and Volley's ideas clearly violate that requirement, which he is well aware. Teams will get invited to FBS conferences in 1's and 2's, not groups of 10's and 12's. I can assure you of that.

But I'm sure the 1's and 2's they are targeting are schools new to FCS, have had no success in FCS, have not beaten an FBS team, play in a stadium of 12,000 and average 6,000 fans.

I guess SV is right, I'm sure an FBS offer is already in the mail to Grand Forks.

Not intelligent enough to understand, like most bison fans. The Sun Belt can grant FBS status for even a school that becomes a football affiliate for two years. Transitional schools can complete the FBS transition if a new division is created with 9 affiliate schools and then goes back to the Big Sky. The Sun Belt does not have to lay out a dime of support. Look it up and figure it out. NDSU schooling can't think outside the box: never has and never will.

Tiny FCS schools like Presbyterian, Drake, and Wagner can chose FBS if they want. Their past record and performance and fan base makes no difference. If they have a stadium that seats 15,000 and a bankroll and a conference invite, they can do what they want, regardless of fan base.

This isn't Euro soccer, where performance on the field gets you to the next level. Money management gets a school to the next level, and that where NDSU has never performed.

But I'm sure the 1's and 2's they are targeting are schools new to FCS, have had no success in FCS, have not beaten an FBS team, play in a stadium of 12,000 and average 6,000 fans.

I guess SV is right, I'm sure an FBS offer is already in the mail to Grand Forks.

All the crap because bisonville has to accept an offer from the Big Sky before it would ever have a shot at FBS.

That's the bottom line. Bisonville is incensed and enraged that the Big Sky has outmaneuvered Viverito and Taylor. Take your rage to them

No need to discuss expanding the Alerus center. I fully intend on winning the BILLION DOLLAR NCAA Basketball Bracket this spring, at which point I will be donating the Ralph Engelstad Arena of Football to UND. You're welcome!!!

I'd take tomorrow night's PowerBall.

Not intelligent enough to understand, like most bison fans. The Sun Belt can grant FBS status for even a school that becomes a football affiliate for two years. Transitional schools can complete the FBS transition if a new division is created with 9 affiliate schools and then goes back to the Big Sky. The Sun Belt does not have to lay out a dime of support. Look it up and figure it out. NDSU schooling can't think outside the box: never has and never will.

Tiny FCS schools like Presbyterian, Drake, and Wagner can chose FBS if they want. Their past record and performance and fan base makes no difference. If they have a stadium that seats 15,000 and a bankroll and a conference invite, they can do what they want, regardless of fan base.

This isn't Euro soccer, where performance on the field gets you to the next level. Money management gets a school to the next level, and that where NDSU has never performed.

I also know that the B1G, B12, P12, SEC and ACC conferences will have a say in approving moves to the 85 Scholarship level under the current situation where all FBS teams compete for a single championship. If you think that the whole Big Sky is going to be approved for affliliate membership of the Sunbelt by the P5 so they can circumvent normal rules for FBS membership, you are crazy. You can't be misguided enough to actually believe that, can you? The P5 is going to stand by and watch 13 teams be added to the FBS, each receiving a million of tv money? That is laughable, almost as laughable as the Sunbelt even agreeing to it.

Then there is the issue of BSC schools actually being able to afford the move, which 90% are not. The best candidate, Montana, is actually scared to death of a higher fanancial commitment than they are currently making. The majority of Griz fans do not think they can afford it, and that's the BSC's best candidate.

Refurbish Memorial to 17,000 with lights for ESPN / FoxSports1 weeknight games. Late season games play in the Alerus.

9 Big Sky home and away

1 FCS home (USD or SDSU)

1 OOC Sun Belt or MAC H/A

1 Big Ten or MWC or Pac 12 away

Do you have a timetable for this like before or after the Super 5 split. I can't see UND going FBS until after the next decade or until the FBS (minus the Super 5) start their own playoff system and purge the top FCS conferences/ teams. I am sure the SU's and UND would move at the same time in my scenario (unsure about the Coyotes). But 2020 at the earliest is my guess. But until then let's start winning some big games (both FBS and FCS) and get our name out there if we want any kind of an invite. NDSU did their part they won 3 NC, we haven't done anything but win a title in a conference that doesn't exist anymore. But SiouxVolley I do like your FBS thinking.

I also know that the B1G, B12, P12, SEC and ACC conferences will have a say in approving moves to the 85 Scholarship level under the current situation where all FBS teams compete for a single championship. If you think that the whole Big Sky is going to be approved for affliliate membership of the Sunbelt by the P5 so they can circumvent normal rules for FBS membership, you are crazy. You can't be misguided enough to actually believe that, can you? The P5 is going to stand by and watch 13 teams be added to the FBS, each receiving a million of tv money? That is laughable, almost as laughable as the Sunbelt even agreeing to it.

Bison fans are awfully good at fabricating FBS rules. Where does it say that the SEC, Big Ten, and Pac 12 approved FBS status for Appalachian St and Ga Southern? The playoff system will set aside money for the G5. The P5 doesn't care what the G5 consists of, and would actually prefer more schools because then game guarantees go down.

Then there is the issue of BSC schools actually being able to afford the move, which 90% are not. The best candidate, Montana, is actually scared to death of a higher fanancial commitment than they are currently making. The majority of Griz fans do not think they can afford it, and that's the BSC's best candidate.

The Big Sky is more capable than most of the Sun Belt. Look at La-Monroe or Ga Southern. Jacksonville St, Sam Houston, and E Kentucky want FBS, and your saying the Big Sky can't!

Do you have a timetable for this like before or after the Super 5 split. I can't see UND going FBS until after the next decade or until the FBS (minus the Super 5) start their own playoff system and purge the top FCS conferences/ teams. I am sure the SU's and UND would move at the same time in my scenario (unsure about the Coyotes). But 2020 at the earliest is my guess. But until then let's start winning some big games (both FBS and FCS) and get our name out there if we want any kind of an invite. NDSU did their part they won 3 NC, we haven't done anything but win a title in a conference that doesn't exist anymore. But SiouxVolley I do like your FBS thinking.

There isn't any real movement of splitting of the Super 5. A lot of talk on bisonville, but the rest of FBS would see that as a huge demotion and fight tooth and nail to prevent it. The Super 5 want stipends for athletes: otherwise it will stay the same structure.