SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

25 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

The EWU plan will be implemented in phases, which means that there isn't enough support to fundraise 20-25m for a terribly outdated stadium, at a winning program.  Spokane doesn't care about EWU.  They will be lucky if they end up with a stadium on par with Kent State, which also isn't an FBS quality stadium.  None of these western FCS schools are going to invest in FBS until the G5 and P5 split, and then it won't really be FBS anymore, it will be something different, and an elaborate WAC FBS plan will not be necessary, because the rules will change.  I think you're too focused on the current FBS requirements, and need to be more open minded to the likelihood of rules changing, in regard to programs moving up to join the G5.

Related image

Kent State is almost the very definition of a FBS school without fan support that stays FBS because of media recognition.  Kent St Presidents are not grossly stupid.  Known Kent St alumni and they don’t follow KSU football.

Have laid out a plan for FBS before that fall entirely under current rules:

The Summit gets Idaho, the Montanas, Weber, and maybe EWU and sponsors FCS for a year.  PUFW, ORU and W Illinois leave.

For two years, the Summit fb teams join the WAC as affiliates with other new transitional schools.  The WAC can still grant FBS status to affiliate schools.  The Summit would only lose its autobid if fb doesn’t return after three years.

When the eight or nine Summit schools are fully FBS, they move back under the Summit umbrella.  The NCAA will grant FBS status to any conference that has at least eight FBS schools.  I his has to happen before the new CFP contract, which specifies the FBS conferences and distributes the money, not the NCAA.

The NCAA allows this and no rules would have to be changed.  Over 20 G5’s have moved up in previous years.  In 2004, if I said that WKU would be an FBS team and in CUSA in 2012, would have been shouted down as crazy like the trolls do now.  

If the object is to be G5, one has to make an FBS transition.

31 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

If the object is to be G5, one has to make an FBS transition.

Do you really know what the rules for moving up to the "FBS" would be after a P5 split? Would you, for instance, admit that it's possible that your scheme might be unnecessary after a split, or that the benefits from membership in the "FBS" you're suggesting would come to UND, and the others, might be reduced after such a split?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Do you really know what the rules for moving up to the "FBS" would be after a P5 split? Would you, for instance, admit that it's possible that your scheme might be unnecessary after a split, or that the benefits from membership in the "FBS" you're suggesting would come to UND, and the others, might be reduced after such a split?

I think this is partly why SiouxVolley gets so much hate.  The elaborate transition through the WAC has too many moving parts, and it's more than likely going to be unnecessary.  You're spot on.  There is a decent chance that the top FCS conferences just merge with the G5, and the rules will be completely re-written.  I could also see them eliminating the meaningless 15k attendance rule.  

Even if the rules didn't change, the NCAA could give waivers to schools that want to move up after a split, for a period of like ten years or something.  Liberty received a waiver, for example.  

No one knows if the P5 splits off or if the G5 gets its own playoff.  Waiting for those to happen could take decades.

A “Great Northern” is good academically regardless.  Going FBS with it is much better than hoping the G5 begging major FCS conferences to move up.  G5 fans and President hate the idea because FBS takes some effort to move up.  If a G5 playoff ever comes about, the G5 wouldn’t be gracious about FCS invites.

All of has been listed previously here is available by current rules.  China just caved in on trade negotiations because of a position with purpose.  Begging the G5 for status is just a strategy for morons, which bison trolls seem to be.

If Coastal Carolina, UL Monroe, Troy, E Mich and Kent St can do it, the bar isn’t that high.  It’s a reasonable growth objective.

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

No one knows if the P5 splits off or if the G5 gets its own playoff.  Waiting for those to happen could take decades.

A “Great Northern” is good academically regardless.  Going FBS with it is much better than hoping the G5 begging major FCS conferences to move up.  G5 fans and President hate the idea because FBS takes some effort to move up.  If a G5 playoff ever comes about, the G5 wouldn’t be gracious about FCS invites.

All of has been listed previously here is available by current rules.  China just caved in on trade negotiations because of a position with purpose.  Begging the G5 for status is just a strategy for morons, which bison trolls seem to be.

If Coastal Carolina, UL Monroe, Troy, E Mich and Kent St can do it, the bar isn’t that high.  It’s a reasonable growth objective.

Considering that NDSUs administration has said repeatedly that were are happy where we are and arent looking to move up at this juncture I dont see where we are begging for G5 status.

So I have to ask what type of pharmaceutical does one need to take to see the visions that you manufacture in your head???? If its not drugs then it just means that you are a liar.

Which is it????

Strange how AD Mike Larsen goes on about FBS with an American or Mountain West bid.  FBS is on his mind, anyone with a brain can see.  He certainly didn’t shut the door of the FBS conversation and the trickle down effect among FBS conferences.  Of course he’s going to slam the FBS door on some loud mouth know-it-all troll who would spread it all over, as he’d be fired for spilling the beans.  But Bresciani is at a level to know specifics, not Larsen.

https://www.bisonillustrated.com/matt-larsen/

Forgiveness needed to posting something from that rag.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Strange how AD Mike Larsen goes on about FBS with an American or Mountain West bid.  FBS is on his mind, anyone with a brain can see.  He certainly didn’t shut the door of the FBS conversation and the trickle down effect among FBS conferences.  Of course he’s going to slam the FBS door on some loud mouth know-it-all troll who would spread it all over, as he’d be fired for spilling the beans.  But Bresciani is at a level to know specifics, not Larsen.

https://www.bisonillustrated.com/matt-larsen/

Forgiveness needed to posting something from that rag.

He goes on because he was asked a question on that subject. He didnt pull it out of thin air and make crazy unrealistic predictions. As a matter of fact he made no predictions.

On 12/1/2018 at 9:06 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Interesting that EWU plans for a 16k expanded stadium are finalized by Jan 2019.   Their new AD came from UTSA, and she has had experience in taking a school to FBS.

https://www.ewu.edu/stadium/

EWU is most likely upgrading their stadium to keep up with teams in their conference and win recruiting battles.

The moment a school upgrades their facilities they are all of a sudden going FBS with absolutely no proof. 

40 minutes ago, cberkas said:

EWU is most likely upgrading their stadium to keep up with teams in their conference and win recruiting battles.

The moment a school upgrades their facilities they are all of a sudden going FBS with absolutely no proof. 

Come on cant you read between the lines? He can because he knows what university presidents are thinking. As a matter of fact he knows before they know what they are thinking. LOL 

35 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Come on cant you read between the lines? He can because he knows what university presidents are thinking. As a matter of fact he knows before they know what they are thinking. LOL 

Your

infatuation, trance, sorcery, lure,

obsession, attraction, fascination, 

magnetism, allure, witchery, thing,

desire, enchantment, passion, bug,

enthrallment, hang-up, charisma,

trolling, and strong interest

with this thread is just barely over the top. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Your

infatuation, trance, sorcery, lure,

obsession, attraction, fascination, 

magnetism, allure, witchery, thing,

desire, enchantment, passion, bug,

enthrallment, hang-up, charisma,

trolling, and strong interest

with this thread is just barely over the top. 

Just barely?????  This thread is like a train wreck. When you drive by you cant help but slow down and look.:lol: The amount of factual inaccuracies is astounding. And thats from just one of your members.:blink:

17 hours ago, cberkas said:

I wasn’t born yesterday.

EWU first attempted a grand Gateway Project that would renovate the stadium more than 16k.

Then Chaves proposed a new stadium greater than 16k that would eliminate track around the field, but that more appropriate FBS  project didn’t get fundraising support.

Now the new AD proposes a barebones renovation to 16k, but it will still have funding issues.

Why doesn’t the AD propose adding a few thousand seats at a time every decade and call it good?  Because the EWU President demands that it hold 16k by a certain date because the EWU President wants to stay in contact with Idaho and the Montanas athletically.

UND has that capacity issue too, but I’ve long held that mega donors are waiting in the wings.

South Alabama went more than a decade from even wanting football to actually getting FBS even though it was already in an FBS conference.  They still have needs and are building an on campus stadium, because the city owned Ladd- Peebles is dump and miles away from campus.  FBS takes time, especially if you have to go with other schools to form a new FBS conference out of a low rent autobid conference.

7 hours ago, bison73 said:

Just barely?????  This thread is like a train wreck. When you drive by you cant help but slow down and look.:lol: The amount of factual inaccuracies is astounding. And thats from just one of your members.:blink:

RustyYellowDodgePickup.jpg

Ok, now I have it figured out, I taught this rusty yellow Dodge the bullet pickup truck was Texas rancher's?

• Upvote 1

I think this is a fair statement:  The Dakota schools dragged their feet and moved to D1 later than they should have.  Whether it was economics, this mindset we didn't have the population base and resources to compete, or maybe we just all got way too comfortable in the NCC, for whatever reason we all stayed in D2 too long, or maybe never should have been there and should have gone D1AA when UNI made that move. 

Now that the schools have made that move all of us are experiencing success in D1 in one form or another, the obvious being NDSU's string of FCS Championships, SDSU with multiple Big Dance berths, USD making the playoffs in multiple sports and winning a WNIT title, UND has made the playoffs and had some success as well.  Point is we have all figured out we belong here and can compete at this level, and possibly even at a higher level.  So there will always be an eye to the future, a plan to position ourselves to be ready for that next opportunity when it arises.  I don't think any of our schools have a plan that says "we are definitely doing this", but I do think they all have plans about being ready for a "G5" move if/when that opportunity comes. 

It wouldn't shock me one bit to find out the 4 schools are all talking and working together so that the next move happens together this time.  It wouldn't shock me if we were talking to schools as a block both out West and in the East about future conference opportunities.  We talk about the Great Northern Conference in the West, which would be a great conference, but there may also be an awakening amongst the MVC public schools that maybe an all-sport MVFC conference wouldn't be a bad idea.  The Dakota schools have now proven we can more than just hang with the MVC in multiple sports.  It may be a good idea for them to break away from the MVC privates and form a conference with the Dakotas, a conference full of schools with similar profiles and similar goals.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

I think this is a fair statement:  The Dakota schools dragged their feet and moved to D1 later than they should have.  Whether it was economics, this mindset we didn't have the population base and resources to compete, or maybe we just all got way too comfortable in the NCC, for whatever reason we all stayed in D2 too long, or maybe never should have been there and should have gone D1AA when UNI made that move. 

Now that the schools have made that move all of us are experiencing success in D1 in one form or another, the obvious being NDSU's string of FCS Championships, SDSU with multiple Big Dance berths, USD making the playoffs in multiple sports and winning a WNIT title, UND has made the playoffs and had some success as well.  Point is we have all figured out we belong here and can compete at this level, and possibly even at a higher level.  So there will always be an eye to the future, a plan to position ourselves to be ready for that next opportunity when it arises.  I don't think any of our schools have a plan that says "we are definitely doing this", but I do think they all have plans about being ready for a "G5" move if/when that opportunity comes. 

It wouldn't shock me one bit to find out the 4 schools are all talking and working together so that the next move happens together this time.  It wouldn't shock me if we were talking to schools as a block both out West and in the East about future conference opportunities.  We talk about the Great Northern Conference in the West, which would be a great conference, but there may also be an awakening amongst the MVC public schools that maybe an all-sport MVFC conference wouldn't be a bad idea.  The Dakota schools have now proven we can more than just hang with the MVC in multiple sports.  It may be a good idea for them to break away from the MVC privates and form a conference with the Dakotas, a conference full of schools with similar profiles and similar goals.

Think the Dakotas left DII late because they didn’t have a natural conference to go.  But the schools were so inward focused even in the 90’s as the states were so ag-centric.  After the low bar set by the OVC and Summit and many other conferences 20 years previously, the Dakota Presidents surely knew that DII wasn’t the place anymore, but they let St Cloud St and Mankato St control the situation.

The only MVC school that has affinity for us is UNI as we share like 50years of the NCC.  Illinois St, SIU, Ind St, and Mo St would not go to bat even for a single Dakota in the MVC.  They will go to bat for Murray St though.

The Montanas have always been a match and they had to have force their agenda on the rest of the Big Sky to get USD and UND invites.  NDSU President Chapman, who was at Mont St, knew of the Montanas desire to add at least the ND school and tried to force his way in.  History will repeat itself when the same two Dakotas repeat the favor given UND and USD.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:22 PM, SiouxVolley said:

The Summit gets Idaho, the Montanas, Weber, and maybe EWU and sponsors FCS for a year.  PUFW, ORU and W Illinois leave.

For two years, the Summit fb teams join the WAC as affiliates with other new transitional schools.  The WAC can still grant FBS status to affiliate schools.  The Summit would only lose its autobid if fb doesn’t return after three years.

When the eight or nine Summit schools are fully FBS, they move back under the Summit umbrella.  The NCAA will grant FBS status to any conference that has at least eight FBS schools.  I his has to happen before the new CFP contract, which specifies the FBS conferences and distributes the money, not the NCAA.

Do you have any actual media person on record with this pontification? 

40 minutes ago, Goon said:

Do you have any actual media person on record with this pontification? 

Your blog site went into depth when PUFW said they wanted the Horizon, W Illinois is almost broke, and ORU wanted out for the Southland.  You must be a brainiac with all that predigestwd info on your blog.

13 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Your blog site went into depth when PUFW said they wanted the Horizon, W Illinois is almost broke, and ORU wanted out for the Southland.  You must be a brainiac with all that predigestwd info on your blog.

My specific blog site didn't go into that. Like I said, where's the link? So we can peruse it. 

Predigestwd isn't even a word. 

3 minutes ago, Goon said:

My specific blog site didn't go into that. Like I said, where's the link? So we can peruse it. 

Sioux Volley--- "There is no link to provide. I don't have the time to do all the research that would be needed to fully prove my point, but I know I'm correct."

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Sioux Volley--- "There is no link to provide. I don't have the time to do all the research that would be needed to fully prove my point, but I know I'm correct."

I keep seeing these wide-eyed scenarios posted, and not one of them have an iota of a chance of coming true. Besides, there's no reason or benefit for UND or most of the BSC, Missouri Valley Teams making the jump to FBS football. Most of those schools couldn't afford it. I remember some of the BSC schools complaining about the travel to UND when they first joined the BSC. 

NDSU is probably the only school that probably fits this bill. At least the guy from Minnesota, Greg Flugaur's predictions come true once in a while. I am not trying to be an A-hole, but what's the fixation with the FBS? UND needs to dominate at the FCS level before a jump would even make sense. That's not happening right now. The only way I see it happening is if there was another level of Division I football created. I haven't seen a groundswell of support for that, just yet. 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

I keep seeing these wide-eyed scenarios posted, and not one of them have an iota of a chance of coming true. Besides, there's no reason or benefit for UND or most of the BSC, Missouri Valley Teams making the jump to FBS football. Most of those schools couldn't afford it. I remember some of the BSC schools complaining about the travel to UND when they first joined the BSC. 

NDSU is probably the only school that probably fits this bill. At least the guy from Minnesota, Greg Flugaur's predictions come true once in a while. I am not trying to be an A-hole, but what's the fixation with the FBS? UND needs to dominate at the FCS level before a jump would even make sense. That's not happening right now. The only way I see it happening is if there was another level of Division I football created. I haven't seen a groundswell of support for that, just yet. 

There is no ground swell on our end. There are probably about 10 posters over at BV that are big on the FBS but dont have a clue how to get there.  The majority of our fans understand the pros and cons of such a move. But the logistics are pretty formable . Conference affiliation being a big one as there really isnt a conference in our foot print except the Big 10 and the Big 12 and we all know thats not going to happen. Then theres the millions $$$$$$$$ aspect that has to be raised every year. Its not a one time thing. At this juncture its nothing more than a pipe dream for some.

• Upvote 1