SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

How does Montana St coach Jeff Choate know that Incarnate Word wants to be FBS, which he says in this article?  Maybe he was reading Siouxsports.com, when I pointed out an article in a San Antonio paper where IWU needs to trim down sports for FBS as they have too many :p.  How could Incarnate Word, McNeese St, Sam Houston St, and Lamar ever get the resources to go FBS, unless in a WAC with NMSU, UTRGV, Cal Poly, UCDavis, and Sac St?

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/five-things-to-know-about-incarnate-word/article_eaa4e029-96a4-5ecd-9333-d09b626a33cd.html

Perhaps Montana State has been surveying the potential FBS moveup field to position themselves?

You are right about 1 thing . . .  they could invest very little, move the WAC, and masquerade as an FBS football team.   If that's what you want, I say do it.

How does Montana St coach Jeff Choate know that Incarnate Word wants to be FBS, which he says in this article?  Maybe he was reading Siouxsports.com, when I pointed out an article in a San Antonio paper where IWU needs to trim down sports for FBS as they have too many.  How could Incarnate Word, McNeese St, Sam Houston St, and Lamar ever get the resources to go FBS, unless in a WAC with NMSU, UTRGV, Cal Poly, UCDavis, and Sac St.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/five-things-to-know-about-incarnate-word/article_eaa4e029-96a4-5ecd-9333-d09b626a33cd.html

I would love to see the quote in that article that says they needed to cut sports for FBS. The problem for you is that there isn't one. From the article you mention:

"Bottom line: Probably the only way UIW can alter the forecast for financial bleeding in its athletic department is to cut back on the number of sports."

And:

"But such a strategy, experts say, is not a realistic one for a Division I-FCS school with millions in expenses, including funding for 63 football scholarships that can be divided up any way among a maximum of 85 players."

The best part of searching for Incarnate Word FBS is that lists your posts on another board, in which we can see everyone else knows you're as crazy as we know.

How does Montana St coach Jeff Choate know that Incarnate Word wants to be FBS, which he says in this article?  Maybe he was reading Siouxsports.com, when I pointed out an article in a San Antonio paper where IWU needs to trim down sports for FBS as they have too many :p.  How could Incarnate Word, McNeese St, Sam Houston St, and Lamar ever get the resources to go FBS, unless in a WAC with NMSU, UTRGV, Cal Poly, UCDavis, and Sac St?

Perhaps Montana State has been surveying the potential FBS moveup field to position themselves?

Still doesnt answer the question about resources. How would a WAC affiliation alleviate those problems.

7 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I would love to see the quote in that article that says they needed to cut sports for FBS. The problem for you is that there isn't one. From the article you mention:

"Bottom line: Probably the only way UIW can alter the forecast for financial bleeding in its athletic department is to cut back on the number of sports."

And:

"But such a strategy, experts say, is not a realistic one for a Division I-FCS school with millions in expenses, including funding for 63 football scholarships that can be divided up any way among a maximum of 85 players."

The best part of searching for Incarnate Word FBS is that lists your posts on another board, in which we can see everyone else knows you're as crazy as we know.

So I’m as clued in and crazy as Jeff Choate apparently?

3 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Still doesnt answer the question about resources.

Answered this a thousand times.  Liberty has money to go up to FBS by itself (a bunch of paid games).  In a conference, 8 games are mandated so the financial strain is limited.  But your bison brain can’t comprehend financials.

1 minute ago, SiouxVolley said:

Answered this a thousand times.  Liberty has money to go up to FBS by itself (a bunch of paid games).  In a conference, 8 games are mandated so the financial strain is limited.  But your bison brain can’t comprehend financials.

Having 8 conference games doesnt decrease expenses.

55 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

You are an absolute moron.  Liberty has to pay for five home FBS schools big bucks.  Coastal Carolina has to pay measly bucks for an one FCS home game.

And big bucks for 85 scholarships, plus higher coaches salaries all for the right to play teams none of their fans care about. 

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

You are an absolute moron.  Liberty has to pay for five home FBS schools big bucks.  Coastal Carolina has to pay measly bucks for an one FCS home game.

Of course Liberty HAS to pay because they are an INDEPENDENT . When they get to conference play they are still going to have the normal expenses.

You still havent explained how joining a WAC is going to alleviate the resource prolems?

4 hours ago, southpaw said:

And big bucks for 85 scholarships, plus higher coaches salaries all for the right to play teams none of their fans care about. 

Already said cutting baseball and WIH practically negates the cost of FBS and other Title IX issues.  There is more cutting that can be done like men’s tennis.  UND has to get their fb staff right before FBS can proceed with a target of beginning the transition in 2022.

How does La-Monroe and Coastal Carolina afford  FBS when they both have less than $30 mill endowment?  Both have lower enrollments than UND. UND is above almost all of the Sun Belt in academics and athletic facilities.  So if the Montanas, South Dakota and NDSU have already said “Let’s go FBS”, there would be refusal on your part as director of Siouxsports realignment, and revert to the Northern Sun.

But of course one is supposed to dominate FCS like NDSU has before a school can even think about FBS.  The idea that UND and FBS can go together just enrages the bison trolls. 

2 hours ago, bison73 said:

Of course Liberty HAS to pay because they are an INDEPENDENT . When they get to conference play they are still going to have the normal expenses.

You still havent explained how joining a WAC is going to alleviate the resource prolems?

NDSU and UND for the millionth time would not be joining the WAC full time.  Reading retention shows that you have dementia from the brain hits during fb.

You have a very hard time with reading comprehension and the chronology of the post. Not only that but you cant remember who said what AND you cant even remember what YOU said.

ex  """How does Montana St coach Jeff Choate know that Incarnate Word wants to be FBS, which he says in this article?  Maybe he was reading Siouxsports.com, when I pointed out an article in a San Antonio paper where IWU needs to trim down sports for FBS as they have too many :p.  How could Incarnate Word, McNeese St, Sam Houston St, and Lamar ever get the resources to go FBS, unless in a WAC with NMSU, UTRGV, Cal Poly, UCDavis, and Sac St?""""

So again after at many attempts at deflection-------How could Incarnate Word, McNeese St, Sam Houston St, and Lamar ever get the resources to go FBS, unless in a WAC with NMSU, UTRGV, Cal Poly, UCDavis, and Sac St?""""

So I will ask again ---how will a wac move solve the lack of resources problem.

Oh I never mmentioned NDSU or UND--you brought it up for whatever reason.

ps we dont care if you go FBS. You couldnt afford the BSC.

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

You have a very hard time with reading comprehension and the chronology of the post. Not only that but you cant remember who said what AND you cant even remember what YOU said.

ex  """How does Montana St coach Jeff Choate know that Incarnate Word wants to be FBS, which he says in this article?  Maybe he was reading Siouxsports.com, when I pointed out an article in a San Antonio paper where IWU needs to trim down sports for FBS as they have too many :p.  How could Incarnate Word, McNeese St, Sam Houston St, and Lamar ever get the resources to go FBS, unless in a WAC with NMSU, UTRGV, Cal Poly, UCDavis, and Sac St?""""

So again after at many attempts at deflection-------How could Incarnate Word, McNeese St, Sam Houston St, and Lamar ever get the resources to go FBS, unless in a WAC with NMSU, UTRGV, Cal Poly, UCDavis, and Sac St?""""

So I will ask again ---how will a wac move solve the lack of resources problem.

Oh I never mmentioned NDSU or UND--you brought it up for whatever reason.

ps we dont care if you go FBS. You couldnt afford the BSC.

Take a break and go home.

With UCF getting shut out of any CFP talk there is a drum beat for the G5 to split off and have their own championship.  The Big 12 has a TV contract and GOR extension coming up here in the next several years.  I think what could happen is there will be another round of conference realignment with the Big 12 ceasing to exist.  There would end up being 4 P5 conferences, a nice little package that leads right into the conference championships becoming de facto quarterfinal games for the CFP playoff.  The G5 and top half of the FCS could split off to form the "next level" of D1 football and play off for a NC.  That's the level of football our schools are all positioning ourselves to be in.  There will also be a third level of D1 football for the Ivy's, HBCU's, Non-scholarship, and weaker FCS schools.

Will this all happen?  I don't know, but it's lining up that it could happen that way.  This entire scenario depends on one school, Oklahoma.  If OU is happy and content in the Big 12 then we will continue on as normal.  If OU sees themselves as being disadvantaged and getting left behind both from a financial and competitive standpoint they may seek other options in either the Big Ten or SEC which would set off a massive realignment as there is no way Texas stays in a Big 12 without Oklahoma.  I think that is the domino that could fall that triggers everything all the way down to the Pioneer League.

I believe this is where SV is getting his 2022 timeline as I believe the Big 12 GOR expires right around that timeframe.  Coincidentally, or maybe not, the Big Ten didn't go long term on their last TV deal and they are set to negotiate another one right in that time period as well.  Theory being the BIG will snag Oklahoma and another school (KU?) and negotiate a massive deal since they now have OU football and KU basketball in-house.  At that point I think Texas and a few other schools join the PAC which would help the PAC financially.  Everybody ends up winning in this scenario unless you are a school left on the outside looking in (Baylor?  Iowa State?  TCU?).

Yote: I'm with you. I've seen that lining up since Benson (then SBC commish) talked P5/G5 and Saban talked about "all P5 football schedules" however many years ago. That's been a while but change in college football comes glacially slow until the glacier cracks. I believe what you do ... sort of: It's OU and UT Austin that'll make or break this. 

I could see the P5 become four 16-team conferences. (Yes, that may leave a couple teams in the cold. Sorry BYU.) 

My speculation was as yours: the top 2/3 or so of FBS is one level, the rest of FBS plus the top 40% or so of FCS is the second; the rest of FCS is the rest. 

16 hours ago, bison73 said:

No one in a conf like the WAC is going to spend any money, its a bare bones league.   Teams will fund 70 scholarships if they are motivated and hit the minimum.   If you are playing in a crappy WAC, why would you spend money.   Get crushed 4 times OOC, they play down to a low level with the teams in your league.   But you are FBS, so what's not to love about that?

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yote: I'm with you. I've seen that lining up since Benson (then SBC commish) talked P5/G5 and Saban talked about "all P5 football schedules" however many years ago. That's been a while but change in college football comes glacially slow until the glacier cracks. I believe what you do ... sort of: It's OU and UT Austin that'll make or break this. 

I could see the P5 become four 16-team conferences. (Yes, that may leave a couple teams in the cold. Sorry BYU.) 

My speculation was as yours: the top 2/3 or so of FBS is one level, the rest of FBS plus the top 40% or so of FCS is the second; the rest of FCS is the rest. 

Here is an interesting article about a current lawsuit over FCOA and scholarship limitations.  The super conferences are coming.  This lawsuit and the convergence of the TV deals will be the impetus.  

LINK

I see it as OU being the linchpin.  UT is fat and happy with what they have in the Big 12.  They are the king in that kingdom.  There is a very lengthy and active thread over on the OU forum DirtBurglers.  People will go back and forth as to what OU will do.  There's a pro-BIG crowd, pro-SEC crowd, and pro-Big 12 crowd.  My take is that OU wants to become a massive research university and they see Big Ten affiliation as being the best way to achieve that goal.  The academics and big money people who are giving huge donations for research buildings, etc. are pro-BIG.  Playing games is nice but money talks, plus the Big Ten is rich in athletics money.  If OU and KU move together to the BIG that will pacify the fanbase some.  Playing long time rivals Kansas and Nebraska along with keeping the annual game with UT intact and OU gets the best of all worlds.

Are OU and KU AAU members? KU yes. OU no. That would hurt OU with the Big Ten (NU was when admitted, but now isn't). OU getting NU back would replace losing UT in football. KU sure wouldn't hurt Big Ten BB. That said, OU would have a really hard sell to the Big Ten, in my mind, not being AAU.

I believe UT would rather not follow TAMU to the SEC as much because of ego as academics. I still think UT wants the Pac12 . 

2 hours ago, Herd said:

No one in a conf like the WAC is going to spend any money, its a bare bones league.   Teams will fund 70 scholarships if they are motivated and hit the minimum.   If you are playing in a crappy WAC, why would you spend money.   Get crushed 4 times OOC, they play down to a low level with the teams in your league.   But you are FBS, so what's not to love about that?

Will no longer respond to trolls.  They bring the collective IQ down so much.  The new WAC will not be the current WAC.  They have told that but it always goes in their a** rather than their mindless brain. 

• Downvote 1

I think the Big Ten would take OU if they presented a plan to show the investments they are making to elevate themselves academically and from a research standpoint.  They just got a major donation for a research center from a billionaire donor.  OU has some big oil alumni that have major bucks.

KU fits academically, Midwest school, and a storied basketball program.  Doing a renovation of their football stadium and just hired Les Miles.  They are preparing for the shift.

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Are OU and KU AAU members? KU yes. OU no. That would hurt OU with the Big Ten (NU was when admitted, but now isn't). OU getting NU back would replace losing UT in football. KU sure wouldn't hurt Big Ten BB. That said, OU would have a really hard sell to the Big Ten, in my mind, not being AAU.

I believe UT would rather not follow TAMU to the SEC as much because of ego as academics. I still think UT wants the Pac12 . 

Texas wants a deal like Notre Dame.  Both have a separate contract and Texas wants to keep it.  The ACC will take Texas and a travel partner like TCU or Rice.  Tobacco Road has so many arrogant schools that they would gladly take UT.

15 hours ago, cberkas said:

So now the deadline is 2022, I thought it was 2020 or 2019.

Am projecting the the Summit League will be shored up with the Montanas, Idaho and Weber St at the early date.

TSL will have to play FCS for a couple seasons and then move football over to the WAC for just two seasons to get FBS.

When those eight now FBS are back, the Summit League would be a stand-alone FBS League.

2 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

KU fits academically, Midwest school, and a storied basketball program.  Doing a renovation of their football stadium and just hired Les Miles.  They are preparing for the shift.

I didn't realize how much KU looks like a Big Tenner. 

< insert punchline here about Big Ten football and Kansas football >