SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

On 9/19/2018 at 9:23 PM, bison73 said:

You are really stretching here. This is nothing more than an informative piece of what it would take to move up. There is a lot of misconception. I hear it a lot when we go on road trips. People think just because you are successful you should just move up. As its really easy--wave the wand and poof and there you are.  There is so much more than just the athletic side.

Matt Larson has said numerous times when asked by the media that ---"we are happy where are. We are where we need to be." He isnt out there bloviating about going FBS like you.

I suppose @SiouxVolley will call you a Bison Troll now for bringing up the truth. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Goon said:

I suppose @SiouxVolley will call you Bison Troll now for bringing up the truth. 

Truth can also be used in trolling, but usually it's a tilt in the opposite direction.

This last troll yesterday engaged in a smear with posts to one of our moderators,  resulting in a thread shut down.

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Truth can also be used in trolling, but usually it's a tilt in the opposite direction.

This last troll yesterday engaged in a smear with posts to one of our moderators,  resulting in a thread shut down.

There was no smear at all. Asked some very valid questions. ( which the mod didnt like obviously.)

31 minutes ago, bison73 said:

There was no smear at all. Asked some very valid questions. ( which the mod didnt like obviously.)

We've got the potential to finally shut down this thread that seems to keep making it's way to the top of the list as last posted in.

73, do you really think posters and moderators on here think you were asking very valid questions yesterday? 

8 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

We've got the potential to finally shut down this thread that seems to keep making it's way to the top of the list as last posted in.

73, do you really think posters and moderators on here think you were asking very valid questions yesterday? 

Obviously they didnt.

Just now, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Ok, we can agree.

Good luck in your game tomorrow, don't let your boys get too over confident. Rocco has the blue hens far from laying any egss.

I hope they are ready also. I try to never under estimate any opponent.

ps I still cant see why they found my questions offensive???  No biggie.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So App St has cracked the Top25 of FBS just a few years after moving up.

They have wins over Gardner-Webb, Charlotte, Louisiana Lafayette, South Alabama and Arkansas State. If I didn’t know any better I’d think they were still playing FCS or atleast a FCS schedule. One quality loss to Penn State to open the year gets you ranked in the FBS? I think we found the Northern Iowa of the FBS. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2018 at 8:40 PM, bang said:

They have wins over Gardner-Webb, Charlotte, Louisiana Lafayette, South Alabama and Arkansas State. If I didn’t know any better I’d think they were still playing FCS or atleast a FCS schedule. One quality loss to Penn State to open the year gets you ranked in the FBS? I think we found the Northern Iowa of the FBS. 

App St lost in OT to Penn State in a game they could and should have won.

But they won’t be rated anymore after losing to fellow moveup Ga Southern, 34-14.  Ga Southern has only lost one game, and that was to Clemson.

Former FCS teams are making a mockery of the Sun Belt and G5 teams.

In their final year of FBS transitioning with a stadium that has almost doubled in size, Coastal Carolina is only averaging 11,000.  The U or Foundation needs to buy tickets at reduced prices to be certified FBS by the NCAA.

In the meantime, Coastal is talking a bowl game with their 4-3 record.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/college/sun-belt/coastal-carolina-university/article220208295.html

• 2 weeks later...

Know the bison trolls and other usual subjects will swoop down and say, “What does a student newspaper know?”  But even a student newspaper sports editor knows that one has to move another conference or eve to another Division if there isn’t teams to play.  It’s not brain surgery.  But those trolls and others have said that before when a sportswriter said that a CWU DI invite was coming.  The Big Sky can’t handle more additions like CWU and Dixie St and even Metro St without splitting, but Southpaw is the expert here so I’ll naturally will defer to him.

https://cwuobserver.com/12487/sports/opinion-cwu-football-to-stay-or-leave-the-gnac/

Why hasn’t their administration dropped football instead of pouring millions into an upgraded field.  Their admin must be so stupid according to troll logic.  Maybe Humboldt St knew they would be without any other DI football in the NW, and having no other options, dropped fb themselves.  

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Know the bison trolls and other usual subjects will swoop down and say, “What does a student newspaper know?”  But even a student newspaper sports editor knows that one has to move another conference or eve to another Division if there isn’t teams to play.  It’s not brain surgery.  But those trolls and others have said that before when a sportswriter said that a CWU DI invite was coming.  The Big Sky can’t handle more additions like CWU and Dixie St and even Metro St without splitting, but Southpaw is the expert here so I’ll naturally will defer to him.

https://cwuobserver.com/12487/sports/opinion-cwu-football-to-stay-or-leave-the-gnac/

Why hasn’t their administration dropped football instead of pouring millions into an upgraded field.  Their admin must be so stupid according to troll logic.  Maybe Humboldt St knew they would be without any other DI football in the NW, and having no other options, dropped fb themselves.  

Once again, you talk up a source to fit your narrative. In this case, it is a student reporter writing an opinion piece.

And in this one, which again is the opinion of a person a few years out of high school, he says the best option right now is to go to the RMAC.

However, why can't the Big Sky add one more team? It's not like 11/13 are magic numbers for scheduling. I could see a scenario where CWU goes to the big sky and if the other two move up, they would be part of a WAC FCS conference. 

But, I don't have the opinion of a 22 year old student to support it, so it's clearly not going to happen. 

• Upvote 2

Here is a columnist advocating for McNeese St to move up to FBS.  Louisiana schools are hurting for dollars, but the Lake Charles area is actually doing well- with a lot of increases in chemical production and building new facilities.

McNeese has less than 8000 students and only has an average of 9000 per game, but the may be a better FBS candidate the La-Monroe, which sits in the Delta and doesn’t have too much industry around it.

Opinion piece:  (the writer may have actually talked to the AD and he didn’t reject it off hand or even suggested the story to check the public pulse)

https://www.americanpress.com/opinion/david-berry/moving-up-worth-thinking-about/article_b470a054-e8f9-11e8-8cfd-63cbbb4fdbe9.html

Lake Charles Economy:

https://www.kplctv.com/2018/09/26/economic-outlook-lake-charles-continues-be-one-fastest-growing-areas-nation/

A trifecta of Lamar, Sam Houston St and McNeese St could be a three Southland schools the WAC would need to go FBS again.  Lamar and Sam Houston St have approached to the SunBelt before for FBS  and have been rejected.

15 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

An article on the P5 divorcing the G5, and the G5 coming up with a new playoff system with FCS reinforcements.

https://www.businessinsider.com/group-of-five-schools-championship-march-madness-2018-11

I always supposed it'd be the P5 parting ways. This author really is advocating the G5 initiate the split. 

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I always supposed it'd be the P5 parting ways. This author really is advocating the G5 initiate the split. 

And not really "split" as much as move down and join EVERYONE in FCS.  That doesn't make any sense and for anyone to suggest that means they know little to nothing about FCS.

5 minutes ago, southpaw said:

And not really "split" as much as move down and join EVERYONE in FCS.  That doesn't make any sense and for anyone to suggest that means they know little to nothing about FCS.

I don't think he's saying "down" as much as admit G5 isn't P5 and create a "middle" with the G5 and the top 30-50 FCS teams. ... (I've heard that somewhere before ... ) 

How does Montana St coach Jeff Choate know that Incarnate Word wants to be FBS, which he says in this article?  Maybe he was reading Siouxsports.com, when I pointed out an article in a San Antonio paper where IWU needs to trim down sports for FBS as they have too many :p.  How could Incarnate Word, McNeese St, Sam Houston St, and Lamar ever get the resources to go FBS, unless in a WAC with NMSU, UTRGV, Cal Poly, UCDavis, and Sac St?

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/five-things-to-know-about-incarnate-word/article_eaa4e029-96a4-5ecd-9333-d09b626a33cd.html

Perhaps Montana State has been surveying the potential FBS moveup field to position themselves?