Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
SiouxVolley

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

It would be the stupidest thing NMSU has ever done, as it eliminates the possibility of FBS moveups, as the WAC can hand out FBS invites.  Of course NMSU is talking to some Big Sky schools to get them to move up.

The plan is the Big Sky to have two equal divisions. 

And I brought up FBS and was told that expect teams to go down to FCS because they are losing money. 

Oh, Montana and Montana State are not moving up anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, cberkas said:

The plan is the Big Sky to have two equal divisions. 

And I brought up FBS and was told that expect teams to go down to FCS because they are losing money. 

Oh, Montana and Montana State are not moving up anytime soon.

NMSU has already scheduled nearly full FBS teams until 2021.  2024 is the nearest year they can be serious about FCS.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/new-mexico-state/

Is your source Southpaw or Goon or bison trolls?

2024 is when some Big Sky teams will complete their FBS transition and can schedule NMSU.

NMSU needs some Big Sky schools, and it would be hush-hush until an announcement.  The schools know who blabs when confidential matters arise so they leak out talks that aren’t true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

NMSU has already scheduled nearly full FBS teams until 2021.  2024 is the nearest year they can be serious about FCS.

You literally claimed the exact same thing about Idaho not moving to FCS because of all the contracts they signed, yet here they are, in FCS.

NMSU is lost in no-man's land, them looking to move down has been looked at as an option for multiple years, it's just one of the possible realities of their situation. They have also had multiple talks with the Summit league, along with the Big Sky, trying to find a home for their sports that aren't football because they definitely aren't with like-minded schools in the WAC. Being an independent in football is a death sentence for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

You literally claimed the exact same thing about Idaho not moving to FCS because of all the contracts they signed, yet here they are, in FCS.

NMSU is lost in no-man's land, them looking to move down has been looked at as an option for multiple years, it's just one of the possible realities of their situation. They have also had multiple talks with the Summit league, along with the Big Sky, trying to find a home for their sports that aren't football because they definitely aren't with like-minded schools in the WAC. Being an independent in football is a death sentence for them.

There are two major difference this time:

1). NMSU has continued to schedule FBS teams long-term.  NMSU needs to keep their rivalry games against UTEP and UNM and Liberty and UMass will schedule them.  Idaho didn’t even have Boise St as they have blackballed Idaho and Washington St won’t commit to a series with games in Moscow.  NMSU has a whole slew of FBS teams in Texas that need to fill their schedules.  Idaho only had Wyoming that would commit to Moscow and everybody else out west looks at that trip as beneath them.

2)  Idaho would have needed to pay major bucks to get a home schedule with the required five games (four FBS) as not many FBS teams were interested in going there.  The loss of conference affiliation was a much bigger cost setback for the Vandals compared to the Aggies.  Also, didn’t realize that many of the Idaho contracts had out clauses for little cost and FBS schools that scheduled Idaho were still required to pay Idaho at FBS rates per NCAA rules as they were FBS when those games were scheduled.  Wyoming has dropped several games because they don’t want two FCS schools in the same season.

You wouldn’t even be convinced to go FBS if NDSU went, so there is no use arguing with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

There are two major difference this time:

1). NMSU has continued to schedule FBS teams long-term.  NMSU needs to keep their rivalry games against UTEP and UNM and Liberty and UMass will schedule them.  Idaho didn’t even have Boise St as they have blackballed Idaho and Washington St won’t commit to a series with games in Moscow.  NMSU has a whole slew of FBS teams in Texas that need to fill their schedules.  Idaho only had Wyoming that would commit to Moscow and everybody else out west looks at that trip as beneath them.

2)  Idaho would have needed to pay major bucks to get a home schedule with the required five games (four FBS) as not many FBS teams were interested in going there.  The loss of conference affiliation was a much bigger cost setback for the Vandals compared to the Aggies.  Also, didn’t realize that many of the Idaho contracts had out clauses for little cost and FBS schools that scheduled Idaho were still required to pay Idaho at FBS rates per NCAA rules as they were FBS when those games were scheduled.  Wyoming has dropped several games because they don’t want two FCS schools in the same season.

You wouldn’t even be convinced to go FBS if NDSU went, so there is no use arguing with you.

1) Idaho signed a contract with LSU less than two months before announcing they were moving to FCS (in 2016 for a game in 2020), which in fact you tried to use as reasoning as one of the reasons they weren't moving down:

On 2/2/2016 at 10:57 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Strange that Idaho just scheduled a $1.4 mill guarantee game with LSU in 2020.  That is well after Idaho will be pushed out of the Belt and into FCS, according to other posters.  Why would LSU waste their time scheduling games that won't happen?

 

2) How exactly is that different than the situation that NMSU is currently in........? NMSU isn't exactly swimming in cash to pay large guarantees nor a destination city for teams looking to travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

1) Idaho signed a contract with LSU less than two months before announcing they were moving to FCS (in 2016 for a game in 2020), which in fact you tried to use as reasoning as one of the reasons they weren't moving down:

 

2) How exactly is that different than the situation that NMSU is currently in........? NMSU isn't exactly swimming in cash to pay large guarantees nor a destination city for teams looking to travel.

1). Idaho still had FBS status so the contract was still good for 3x the FCS rate.  That is a smart.

2) NMSU needs to stay at the level of their main rivals, UNM and UTEP.  Boise St has stopped playing Idaho and now Idaho’s main rivals are the Montanas.

2 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Every time i see this thread pop up I think to myself...how is this still alive?

Until the Summit decides on who their next school is, I will be posting in this thread.  IPFW wants another conference like all the other Summit schools east of the Missippi (IUPUI, Oakland, Valparaiso, Youngstown St, Wright St, I’ll-Chicago, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Cleveland St, etc) no matter what those bison trolls say.  They are delusional that IPFW is happy, and the Summit has major issues keeping their autobid without IPFW.

The Summit needs to become a regional state league like the MAC, in which the core schools haven’t left for 50 years.  The Summit is in an existential crisis and there are more moves to be made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

That's not true!  Not referencing jdub specifically of course at all, but if NDSU went FBS, 90% of UNDs football fan base would be frothing at the mouth that the same move would need to happen the next day for us.  If NDSU did away with scholarships and joined the Pioneer league, it would be the same scenario.  Where they go, we will follow.  The fanbase won't accept a schedule that doesn't have The Bison on it.  That's why we are moving to the SumValley, no other reason.  

It is so perplexing to me that we voluntarily left a conference that FBS schools are apparently willing to drop down a level to join, while at the same time our new conference is wondering what DII schools could possibly be convinced to join.................

Plenty of fans here want UND to make a deep playoff run in FCS multiple times before FBS is ever considered.  Like Coastal Carolina, USA, Georgia St, or Texas St ever made a deep FCS  run.

The bison trolls hate the idea that UND would even consider FBS.  To them, that apostasy.  But it’s fine if they move up, but no other conference wants them, so their stuck where there are unless regional state schools join to Summit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

That's not true!  Not referencing jdub specifically of course at all, but if NDSU went FBS, 90% of UNDs football fan base would be frothing at the mouth that the same move would need to happen the next day for us.  If NDSU did away with scholarships and joined the Pioneer league, it would be the same scenario.  Where they go, we will follow.  The fanbase won't accept a schedule that doesn't have The Bison on it.  That's why we are moving to the SumValley, no other reason.  

It is so perplexing to me that we voluntarily left a conference that FBS schools are apparently willing to drop down a level to join, while at the same time our new conference is wondering what DII schools could possibly be convinced to join.................

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

to both points

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

That's not true!  Not referencing jdub specifically of course at all, but if NDSU went FBS, 90% of UNDs football fan base would be frothing at the mouth that the same move would need to happen the next day for us.  If NDSU did away with scholarships and joined the Pioneer league, it would be the same scenario.  Where they go, we will follow.  The fanbase won't accept a schedule that doesn't have The Bison on it.  That's why we are moving to the SumValley, no other reason.  

It is so perplexing to me that we voluntarily left a conference that FBS schools are apparently willing to drop down a level to join, while at the same time our new conference is wondering what DII schools could possibly be convinced to join.................

Conference that FBS schools are joining?  It’s Idaho and New Mexico State, not LSU and Georgia.  Idaho and New Mexico State . . . Two schools that have no shot at FCS titles.  Idaho and New Mexico State . . . You realize its Idaho and New Mexico State, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IPFW keeps looking at IUPUI (or whatever it is called now) having already jumped ship. 

12 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

... the Summit has major issues keeping their autobid without IPFW.

In all the noise of this thread, this fact keeps being overlooked.

If the Summit brass isn't looking at contingencies for this potentiality (eventuality?) they are derelict.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

IPFW keeps looking at IUPUI (or whatever it is called now) having already jumped ship. 

In all the noise of this thread, this fact keeps being overlooked.

If the Summit brass isn't looking at contingencies for this potentiality (eventuality?) they are derelict.  

and I'm not liking one of their contingencies (Augie).  They better have another one or three that's not Augie. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Herd said:

Conference that FBS schools are joining?  It’s Idaho and New Mexico State, not LSU and Georgia.  Idaho and New Mexico State . . . Two schools that have no shot at FCS titles.  Idaho and New Mexico State . . . You realize its Idaho and New Mexico State, right?

I'll take NMSU BB in the Summit in a heartbeat over Augie.  

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

IPFW keeps looking at IUPUI (or whatever it is called now) having already jumped ship. 

In all the noise of this thread, this fact keeps being overlooked.

If the Summit brass isn't looking at contingencies for this potentiality (eventuality?) they are derelict.  

I don't think anyone is arguing with that point. If we're being realistic, outside of Augustana and some waivers, the solution is going to be UMKC coming back (with soccer) and UNC finally getting the baseball affiliation they requested multiple years ago. Gets both out of the WAC. Or NMSU joins, which was being discussed around the same time UND was thinking about switching conferences. There were discussions with NMSU by both the Big Sky and Summit. Once gives them a chance to stay at the FBS level in football only, the other gives them a path to drop down to FCS. 

The answer isn't that the Montanas and Idaho are going to magically decide to abandon the west and join some FBS conference that doesn't currently exist when there the financial benefit isn't there and half the schools can't afford it anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I don't think anyone is arguing with that point. If we're being realistic, outside of Augustana and some waivers, the solution is going to be UMKC coming back (with soccer) and UNC finally getting the baseball affiliation they requested multiple years ago. Gets both out of the WAC. Or NMSU joins, which was being discussed around the same time UND was thinking about switching conferences. There were discussions with NMSU by both the Big Sky and Summit. Once gives them a chance to stay at the FBS level in football only, the other gives them a path to drop down to FCS. 

The answer isn't that the Montanas and Idaho are going to magically decide to abandon the west and join some FBS conference that doesn't currently exist when there the financial benefit isn't there and half the schools can't afford it anyway. 

I'm not convinced UMKC, would be coming back.  They are in a city that cares about the Chiefs, Royals, Sporting KC, not to mention the split between KU and Mizzou.  Actually, it's a great school if your pursuing academics, plus it has med school, but they just can't get anyone to support Roos athletics. The community or even the school community isn't interested in following for that matter.   My feeling is that if they ever move again, it will be to drop down, either D2 or NAIA.  In my humble opinion, I can't count on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 9:03 AM, MafiaMan said:

2hxuzs.jpg

You’ve used that meme a zillion times, Mafia Man.  Can’t you be more creative?

But I picture me and IPFW walking to the courthouse to sign separation papers, as she has been wanting out for years and sleeping with any conference more eastern but all the relatives and bison trolls say that bitch was such a catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

You’ve used that “WE’RE GOING FBS!” line a million times...can’t YOU be more creative?  But, since you asked nicely...

2hyy4i.jpg

Nicer job.  Guess you’llbe a good hockey supporter and post this again when Kennedy announces it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Nicer job.  Guess you’llbe a good hockey supporter and post this again when Kennedy announces it.

Good Lord Dude, you really need to put down the pipe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Nicer job.  Guess you’ll be a good hockey supporter and post this again when Kennedy announces it.

Is that before or after Bettman announces an NHL franchise in Missoula MT and the NBA places a team Lemmon SD?  I get confused on the timeline of some of your predictions.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Is that before or after Bettman announces an NHL franchise in Missoula MT and the NBA places a team Lemmon SD?  I get confused on the timeline of some of your predictions.

Ate you sure you and Goon aren’t the real Beavis and Butthead’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×