SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

19 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Sam Houston St is starting a meidical school in a Houston suburb.  This raises the bar for the school’s prestige, though some posters severely disagree.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/08/14/state-board-approves-new-medical-school-sam-houston-state-university/

FBS will be coming to Sam Houston St.

No mention of FBS football here. 

In an unusual meeting last month, the coordinating board tabled a vote on the Sam Houston proposal after Paredes recommended it be denied.

“Rural communities are dying,” Paredes said at the July 26 meeting. “People don't want to live in small towns,” he added, suggesting that telemedicine and funding entry-level residency slots would better serve those rural areas.

Paredes' comments rankled some lawmakers, including state Rep. Will Metcalf, a Republican who represents the Conroe district where Sam Houston's doctor of osteopathic medicine program would be based.

In a letter to Paredes and the board, Metcalf wrote that he was "extremely disappointed with certain remarks made" and that "a significant portion of our population does indeed desire to live in rural communities."

"I know the Commissioner is not an elitist and that he truly does respect the rural communities of our great state," Metcalf wrote. "Sam Houston has put forward a potential solution to at least address the shortages of rural health care. Is it a silver bullet that will solve all of our problems? Of course not, but we cannot allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good while our rural communities suffer from a lack of medical coverage."

27 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Dixie St adds nearly 5000 seats to prepare for the Big Sky when it needs to add schools to replace the research schools going FBS.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2018/09/05/prc-dixie-state-university-to-cut-ribbon-on-grandstand-during-football-game/#.W5AHUYplChA

""In addition to hosting NCAA Division II tournaments, the new grandstand allows DSU to host high school state tournaments and community concerts. Already hosting the Huntsman World Senior Games and high school marching band competitions, the stadium is now able to accommodate more people at these popular events. ""

I dont see any mention of the big sky or FBS in that article.  Did you post the wrong link?????

7 minutes ago, bison73 said:

""In addition to hosting NCAA Division II tournaments, the new grandstand allows DSU to host high school state tournaments and community concerts. Already hosting the Huntsman World Senior Games and high school marching band competitions, the stadium is now able to accommodate more people at these popular events. ""

I dont see any mention of the big sky or FBS in that article.  Did you post the wrong link?????

Well in all fairness, the article does mention HS Marching band competitions.  I'm sure DSU will need to grow it's marching band in order to become FCS, so it would be wise to invest in the HS marching band competitions it hosts in order to impress potential future DSU band members.  You need to learn to read the tea leaves... ;):p

• Like 1

I see a pattern among a lot of posters on here. First SV posts about a school upgrading their facilities, followed up with the words "going to the FBS", only to have another poster say that nowhere in the article does it mention moving up. This is starting to get old. No one is buying the fact all these teams are moving up to the FBS or a new FBS conference will be formed. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Well in all fairness, the article does mention HS Marching band competitions.  I'm sure DSU will need to grow it's marching band in order to become FCS, so it would be wise to invest in the HS marching band competitions it hosts in order to impress potential future DSU band members.  You need to learn to read the tea leaves... ;):p

Took the words right out of my mouth!  :D:lol:

46 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I see a pattern among a lot of posters on here. First SV posts about a school upgrading their facilities, followed up with the words "going to the FBS", only to have another poster say that nowhere in the article does it mention moving up. This is starting to get old. No one is buying the fact all these teams are moving up to the FBS or a new FBS conference will be formed. 

Never said Dixie St will go FBS.  Said they get invited to the Big Sky which means FCS and DI.  Dixie St is much more capable of going DI than Southern Utah ever was as St George is a fast growing city, Utah’s Vegas and Phoenix for snowbirds.   SUU and UVU didn’t have a DII conference when they went DI as the RMAC would not accept them then.

Some posters don’t realize there are other motives in building facilities than blindly believing what a press release says.  

The Big Sky will invite CWU, Dixie St and Asuza Pacific to replenish their numbers from FBS defectors.

On 9/5/2018 at 1:06 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Never said Dixie St will go FBS.  Said they get invited to the Big Sky which means FCS and DI.  Dixie St is much more capable of going DI than Southern Utah ever was as St George is a fast growing city, Utah’s Vegas and Phoenix for snowbirds.   SUU and UVU didn’t have a DII conference when they went DI as the RMAC would not accept them then.

Some posters don’t realize there are other motives in building facilities than blindly believing what a press release says.  

The Big Sky will invite CWU, Dixie St and Asuza Pacific to replenish their numbers from FBS defectors.

Defintition of Apophenia

: the tendency to perceive a connection or meaningful pattern between unrelated or random things (such as objects or ideas)
  • What psychologists call apophenia—the human tendency to see connections and patterns that are not really there—gives rise to conspiracy theories.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/apophenia

2 hours ago, Gothmog said:

Defintition of Apophenia

: the tendency to perceive a connection or meaningful pattern between unrelated or random things (such as objects or ideas)
  • What psychologists call apophenia—the human tendency to see connections and patterns that are not really there—gives rise to conspiracy theories.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/apophenia

That’s a very good trait of investors.  Used to be able to predict some big change in the corporation when our plant manager said something that as out of the ordinary.  Been a full time investor for almost 8 years now and raised my net worth by ten times.  Experts look at my portfolio and shake their heads.  UND and the new Summit League is a sure thing for FBS.  It a safer bet than my stocks.

20 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

That’s a very good trait of investors.  Used to be able to predict some big change in the corporation when our plant manager said something that as out of the ordinary.  Been a full time investor for almost 8 years now and raised my net worth by ten times.  Experts look at my portfolio and shake their heads.  UND and the new Summit League is a sure thing for FBS.  It a safer bet than my stocks.

So one question that you fail to answer over and over and over and over again.  How is UND going to afford to play FBS football?  How are they going to afford to pay for increased scholarships, increased coaching salaries, cost of playing halfway across the country for most of its road games, cost to pay FBS teams to play in Grand forks, etc, etc, etc.  The cost increase to go FBS is in the tens of MILLIONS per year.  Considering UND's budget issues in having to switch conferences and drop sports, how the hell are you so confident??  Seriously?  Answer the easy question.  How is UND going to afford going FBS?  I'll hang up and listen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So one question that you fail to answer over and over and over and over again.  How is UND going to afford to play FBS football?  How are they going to afford to pay for increased scholarships, increased coaching salaries, cost of playing halfway across the country for most of its road games, cost to pay FBS teams to play in Grand forks, etc, etc, etc.  The cost increase to go FBS is in the tens of MILLIONS per year.  Considering UND's budget issues in having to switch conferences and drop sports, how the hell are you so confident??  Seriously?  Answer the easy question.  How is UND going to afford going FBS?  I'll hang up and listen.

Drop hockey and hello Sunbelt.:lol:

5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Gone over this before.  $4 million estimate is how much more FBS costs for MAC and SunBelt level compared to high FCS schools.  UND has had a budget greater than a number of MAC and Sun Belt schools already.

$2mill extra from guarantee  games ($1.5 mill for FBS teams vs <$0.5 mill for FCS)

$1 mill from CFP payout, that may be upped to $2 mill from the new contract

$1 mill increased revenue from a new stadium (more suites, loge seat, more attendance).

Maybe a couple hundred K from a enhanced conference TV package.

FBS is a better investment by far than WIH, which has been terminated for FBS use, as FBS brings national publicity, much more than men’s ice hockey.

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Gone over this before.  $4 million estimate is how much more FBS costs for MAC and SunBelt level compared to high FCS schools.  UND has had a budget greater than a number of MAC and Sun Belt schools already.

$2mill extra from guarantee  games ($1.5 mill for FBS teams vs <$0.5 mill for FCS)

$1 mill increased revenue from a new stadium (more suites, loge seat, more attendance).

FBS is a better investment by far than WIH, which has been terminated for FBS use, as FBS brings national publicity, much more than men’s ice hockey.

If UND struggles to fill a 12,000 seat stadium now, how will they do it in a bigger stadium playing this new FBS schedule, that really is just an FCS schedule with more expenses.

3 hours ago, southpaw said:

If UND struggles to fill a 12,000 seat stadium now, how will they do it in a bigger stadium playing this new FBS schedule, that really is just an FCS schedule with more expenses.

If UND hockey struggled to fill a 6000 seat stadium, why did they always fill a 12,000 seat arena when they had the same opponents?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

And if you had bet your net worth down on all your unfulfilled prophecies here to date, you'd be broke and looking for a new job.

The more important question: is your portfolio worth more than gfhockey's?

11 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

And if you had bet your net worth down on all your unfulfilled prophecies here to date, you'd be broke and looking for a new job.

The more important question: is your portfolio worth more than gfhockey's?

It doesn't matter,  the state manages his assets while he's receiving treatment in Jamestown.

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

It doesn't matter,  the state manages his assets while he's receiving treatment in Jamestown.

Brought up a stock called Sarepta before here, and it has increased to 14 times the original buy price.  It’s a serious treatment of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy using RNA masking technology.  Big money has opposed it because they didn’t run a placebo as it would have taken years to run an immoral death clinical “trial”, but somehow the drug keeps muscle mass so kids can walk instead of dieing or being confined to a wheelchair before they succumb to heart problems or lung issues.    But was able to make a judgement well before the experts like “you” that earned me a veritable fortune when people like you would rather let kids die cruelly.

You personnally know a lot about the Jamestown facility, so wouldn’t argue about your expertise on mental illness.  :p

17 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

UND and the new Summit League is a sure thing for FBS.  It a safer bet than my stocks.

But......you swore up and down UND would never join the Summit, even after people told you it was a done deal, because there was no doubt they were going FBS with the Big Sky..... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

You fail to mention the cost of this new stadium.  What do you suppose a 25000 seat stadium would cost to build these days?  For reference to help you out, The HPC cost 20 million, the renovation of the Dakota Dome as USD is estimated at 26 million, and the renovation at Dana J Dykhouse Stadium at SDSU cost 65 million.  So 2 questions for you:

1.  How much do you estimate it will cost to build a brand new 25,000 seat stadium?

2.  How will UND pay for it?

43 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

You fail to mention the cost of this new stadium.  What do you suppose a 25000 seat stadium would cost to build these days?  For reference to help you out, The HPC cost 20 million, the renovation of the Dakota Dome as USD is estimated at 26 million, and the renovation at Dana J Dykhouse Stadium at SDSU cost 65 million.  So 2 questions for you:

1.  How much do you estimate it will cost to build a brand new 25,000 seat stadium?

2.  How will UND pay for it?

Unless a donor steps up in a huge way this won't happen. Volley has some validity to the "build it and they will come" theory. It worked for hockey. In my eyes I don't see in the nicest of facilities and the greatest of UND football teams ever reaching more than 17,000 per game. In my opinion we took a step down when UND football moved from Memorial to the Alerus. I also don't ever see a UND FBS team getting ever being ranked in the top 20 (FBS). It's too tough to compete with those budgets of the power 5 conferences. Once in a blue moon I could see UND being  like the Central Michigan, Central Florida or Northern Illinois from the past several years. I think NDSU has had some fleeting thoughts of going FBS. I really think that it would ruin their fanbase. Right now they're winning big and people love winners. A smaller percentage of their fanbase believes they can beat the likes of Alabama. That small percentage is the same people that would bail out of following the Bison and jump on the bandwagon of a UND team thats winning at the FCS level. I'd love it if NDSU made the jump, but not in any shape of form would I be optimistic if UND made the jump.  

19 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Seeing patterns that aren't really there is hardly a good trait of an investor. However, if you've really done anywhere near as well as you claim in the market (and your record on unsubstantiated claims isn't good), it's likely because you've taken a great deal more risk than what you thought at the time. Some people make money in Las Vegas too, but that doesn't necessarily make them good gamblers. 

7 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Brought up a stock called Sarepta before here, and it has increased to 14 times the original buy price.  It’s a serious treatment of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy using RNA masking technology.  Big money has opposed it because they didn’t run a placebo as it would have taken years to run an immoral death clinical “trial”, but somehow the drug keeps muscle mass so kids can walk instead of dieing or being confined to a wheelchair before they succumb to heart problems or lung issues.    But was able to make a judgement well before the experts like “you” that earned me a veritable fortune when people like you would rather let kids die cruelly.

You personnally know a lot about the Jamestown facility, so wouldn’t argue about your expertise on mental illness.  :p

What you did was take a flyer on an experimental---company---drug and got lucky.  The investment road is littered with thousands of companies who have failed because the pony they were riding didnt come to fruition. Congrats.

What is confusing is how your supposed judgement is attuned to the stock market but so lacking when it comes to UND and a supposed move to FBS.  Ive never seen one person who has been as wrong as you. Except Lakes of course. Youre in good company.

57 minutes ago, bison73 said:

What you did was take a flyer on an experimental---company---drug and got lucky.  The invest road is littered with thousands of companies who have failed because the pony they were riding didnt come to fruition. Congrats.

What is confusing is how your supposed judgement is attuned to the stock market but so lacking when it comes to UND and a supposed move to FBS.  Ive never seen one person who has been as wrong as you. Except Lakes of course. Youre in good company.

In my experience, people who claim to make have made huge returns in the stock market, like SV, are usually either: a) unsophisticated ,but lucky, fools or b) lying.