SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So what about the financial aspect of it?  If NDSU wanted to go FBS, you would think that they would have the ability to raise funds to do it.  How long did it take to raise money for the SHAC?  Imagine having to do that every year!!

They just added almost $40 million to construct an IPC for football.  For football, NDSU gets funds.  For mbb and other sports, fund raising is form of torture.

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So what about the financial aspect of it?  If NDSU wanted to go FBS, you would think that they would have the ability to raise funds to do it.  How long did it take to raise money for the SHAC?  Imagine having to do that every year!!

Also don’t look at the city of Fargo to fund a new dome, the city is broke. NDSU would be Idaho 2.0. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

NDSU has long wanted FBS, as it’s embarrassing  to them that they have won so many consecutive FCS championships and haven’t got an FBS bite.  There is no way they get that unless they cooperate with UND and certain Big Sky schools and start their own FBS conference.  UND’s recent acceptance by the MVFC, which we were all told by the Fargo media and trolls in the past was impossible, shows how Gene Taylor and certain NDSU presidents always had an issue with UND football.  That cannot be denied now, but it is and needs to be brought to the light.  Journalists in Fargo refuse to talk about their dirty politics of the past.  The leading schools in the Big Sky wanted us because we had resources to be FBS.  They just needed to be firm with NDSU to quit playing their games, which Chapman tried when he was attempting to get in.

You serious Clark?

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

NDSU already attract more fans the the majority of the MAC.  The FargoDome can work with another price increase.

They would have the smallest stadium in the FBS. They cannot expand the dome for more seats. Unless they do neutral site games in Minneapolis or Lincoln, they aren’t going to attract big name FBS teams to increase money to cover the expense being in the Sun Belt. 

The current smallest stadium capacity in the FBS is Louisiana Tech 28,562, the Fargodome is 19,000.

6 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Laugh at the prospect of Larson ever having a serious conversation with you bozos.

""The leading schools in the Big Sky wanted us because we had resources to be FBS.""

You didnt have the resources to stay in the BSC. Wow dude.

But he had a conversation with you??????

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

They would have the smallest stadium in the FBS. They cannot expand the dome for more seats. Unless they do neutral site games in Minneapolis or Lincoln, they aren’t going to attract big name FBS teams to increase money to cover the expense being in the Sun Belt. 

The current smallest stadium capacity in the FBS is Louisiana Tech 28,562, the Fargodome is 19,000.

Actually they can expand the west side of the dome but  Would the ROI be worth it and would the dome be willing to lose the revenue during the expansion?

2 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Actually they can expand the west side of the dome but  Would the ROI be worth it and would the dome be willing to lose the revenue during the expansion?

If they did the expansion how many more seats could be added?

18 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

NDSU can do the same thing Ekatarinaburg for the World Cup did:  built huge external stands outside a dome that peer in.  It would look like crap, but would fit right  in there.  The Dome can even remain intact for other events if huge sliding doors were installed.

The other option is to limit seats to a 40” waist, but that would eliminate 90% of NDSU fans.

• Like 2

You would think after 6 FCS Championships in 7 years, 6 straight wins over FBS teams, 2 ESPN Gameday appearances, one of the top schools for attendance, that would ahve heard something about NDSU even just maybe kinda thinking about exploring the idea of going FBS.  You have literally heard nothing.  I don't care what your feelings or what you think might happen in your one mind.  Until I see some actual evidence (not just what you think is going to happen) but actual hard facts I am calling a huge BS on anything SiouxVolley says.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

You would think after 6 FCS Championships in 7 years, 6 straight wins over FBS teams, 2 ESPN Gameday appearances, one of the top schools for attendance, that would ahve heard something about NDSU even just maybe kinda thinking about exploring the idea of going FBS.  You have literally heard nothing.  I don't care what your feelings or what you think might happen in your one mind.  Until I see some actual evidence (not just what you think is going to happen) but actual hard facts I am calling a huge BS on anything SiouxVolley says.

Said NDSU is actually embarrassed that no FBS calls have been received.  If it happened, they would have blasted any interest to any media that would listen to raise $.

8 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Said NDSU is actually embarrassed that no FBS calls have been received.  If it happened, they would have blasted any interest to any media that would listen to raise $.

So what is your evidence that NDSU even wants to pursue moving up to FBS?  You seem to always through out a lot of speculation and predictions, but can't back them up with evidence and facts.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

So basically, at least 6 of the same schools would have to participate in both Summit BB and FB?

I just read through the relevant parts of the manual, and I don't think that's the case. I don't see anything special about football in regards to the MBB autobid. It looks like it's theoretically possible to do a office swap like the A-10 and CAA did years ago, and the result would lock down the Summit autobid. Whether or not you could convince the other members of the MVFC to go along with that is another question.

Here are the relevant sections. If I've missed something, please correct me. 

31.3.4.5 Additional Requirements—Basketball. To be considered eligible for automatic qualification in basketball, a member conference must be a core conference (see Bylaw 31.02.3) and must meet the requirements of Bylaw 20.02.5.

31.02.3 Core Conference. A core conference is a multisport conference that has been elected to membership and, as a result of legislation, is identified in the applicable sections of Constitution 4 related to representation in the NCAA governance structure.

20.02.5 Multisport Conference. A Division I multisport conference shall satisfy the requirements of this section.

20.02.5.1 Minimum Number of Members. A multisport conference shall be composed of at least seven active Division I members. The member conference shall include at least seven active Division I members that sponsor both men’s and women’s basketball.

20.02.5.2 Sports Sponsorship. A multisport conference shall satisfy the following requirements:

(a) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of 12 Division I sports;

(b) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six men’s sports, one of which shall be men’s basketball. In addition to men’s basketball, the conference shall sponsor football or two other men’s team sports. A minimum of seven members shall sponsor men’s basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor five other sports, including football or two additional men’s team sports; and

(c) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six women’s sports, one of which shall be women’s basketball. In addition to women’s basketball, the conference shall sponsor two other women’s team sports. A minimum of seven members shall sponsor women’s basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor five other sports, including two additional women’s team sports (or a minimum of five members for an emerging sport for women).

20.02.5.3 Regular-Season Conference Competition. Multisport conference members shall participate in regular-season conference competition, subject to the following requirements:

(a) Basketball teams shall participate in a regular-season conference schedule of a double round robin, inseason competition, or a minimum of 14 regular-season conference contests;

(b) In football or in a minimum of two men’s team sports other than men’s basketball [as required in Bylaw 20.02.5.2-(b)], teams shall compete in a minimum regular-season conference schedule of five contests. A minimum of five regular-season conference contests must be hosted by one of the two competing teams at its home venue; and

(c) In a minimum of two women’s team sports other than women’s basketball (as required in Bylaw 20.02.5.2), teams shall compete in a minimum regular-season conference schedule of five contests. A minimum of five regular-season conference contests must be hosted by one of the two competing teams at its home venue.

20.02.5.4 Continuity. A multisport conference shall establish continuity. To establish continuity, a multisport conference must meet the requirements of Bylaw 20.02.5.1. In addition, the conference must meet the requirements of Bylaws 20.02.5.2 and 20.02.5.3 for a period of eight consecutive years.

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So you have talked with the UND donors then?

You dropped sports and dropped out of the BSC to save money. Plus during that time all of your sports werent fully funded .Those facts dont lend to you having the resources to go FBS. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, bison73 said:

You dropped sports and dropped out of the BSC to save money. Plus during that time all of your sports werent fully funded .Those facts dont lend to you having the resources to go FBS. 

When an entity goes through and reorganizes the budget as you describe it is usually either due to (a) shortfalls or (b) reprioritization.

I make no claim; I just provide that observation. 

38 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

When an entity goes through and reorganizes the budget as you describe it is usually either due to (a) shortfalls or (b) reprioritization.

I make no claim; I just provide that observation. 

No reason it can't be both. In this case, it definitely was, which is why they went above and beyond. 

5 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

I just read through the relevant parts of the manual, and I don't think that's the case. I don't see anything special about football in regards to the MBB autobid. It looks like it's theoretically possible to do a office swap like the A-10 and CAA did years ago, and the result would lock down the Summit autobid. Whether or not you could convince the other members of the MVFC to go along with that is another question.

Here are the relevant sections. If I've missed something, please correct me. 

31.3.4.5 Additional Requirements—Basketball. To be considered eligible for automatic qualification in basketball, a member conference must be a core conference (see Bylaw 31.02.3) and must meet the requirements of Bylaw 20.02.5.

31.02.3 Core Conference. A core conference is a multisport conference that has been elected to membership and, as a result of legislation, is identified in the applicable sections of Constitution 4 related to representation in the NCAA governance structure.

20.02.5 Multisport Conference. A Division I multisport conference shall satisfy the requirements of this section.

20.02.5.1 Minimum Number of Members. A multisport conference shall be composed of at least seven active Division I members. The member conference shall include at least seven active Division I members that sponsor both men’s and women’s basketball.

20.02.5.2 Sports Sponsorship. A multisport conference shall satisfy the following requirements:

(a) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of 12 Division I sports;

(b) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six men’s sports, one of which shall be men’s basketball. In addition to men’s basketball, the conference shall sponsor football or two other men’s team sports. A minimum of seven members shall sponsor men’s basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor five other sports, including football or two additional men’s team sports; and

(c) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six women’s sports, one of which shall be women’s basketball. In addition to women’s basketball, the conference shall sponsor two other women’s team sports. A minimum of seven members shall sponsor women’s basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor five other sports, including two additional women’s team sports (or a minimum of five members for an emerging sport for women).

20.02.5.3 Regular-Season Conference Competition. Multisport conference members shall participate in regular-season conference competition, subject to the following requirements:

(a) Basketball teams shall participate in a regular-season conference schedule of a double round robin, inseason competition, or a minimum of 14 regular-season conference contests;

(b) In football or in a minimum of two men’s team sports other than men’s basketball [as required in Bylaw 20.02.5.2-(b)], teams shall compete in a minimum regular-season conference schedule of five contests. A minimum of five regular-season conference contests must be hosted by one of the two competing teams at its home venue; and

(c) In a minimum of two women’s team sports other than women’s basketball (as required in Bylaw 20.02.5.2), teams shall compete in a minimum regular-season conference schedule of five contests. A minimum of five regular-season conference contests must be hosted by one of the two competing teams at its home venue.

20.02.5.4 Continuity. A multisport conference shall establish continuity. To establish continuity, a multisport conference must meet the requirements of Bylaw 20.02.5.1. In addition, the conference must meet the requirements of Bylaws 20.02.5.2 and 20.02.5.3 for a period of eight consecutive years.

A10 football, CAA football, and the MVFC are all considered single sport conferences.  Read several articles that Hofstra had real difficulty in accepting Stony Brook in any form to the CAA and they effectively blocked them to the main CAA with the help of Drexel and other privates without football.  By definition, those single sport conferences don’t count for meeting the autobid requirements.  Think even CAA non-football schools get to vote on football ones.

These single sport conference can be voted to be dissolved and then given a new home under the main conference, but that can be difficult for votes.

In single sports conferences, even “affiliates” vote, which is why NDSU and SDSU could mount a “no” vote against UND football that would black ball it.  USD only got in when NDSU and SDSU knew they were screwed the Summit by not allowing in USD to the MVFC, so they changed their vote allowing USD in.  Some agreement had to have been made to satisfy NDSU and make them change their vote to allow UND in.   NDSU having a path to FBS, with UND’s and Montanas and Idaho’s help could be a big part of that.

The CAA uses mbb, men’s lacrosse and baseball for meeting the autobid requirement.

The A10 uses mbb, men’s soccer, and baseball for meeting the autobid requirement..  The MVC uses those same sports.

Affiliates can only be used for the third sport, based on NCAA guidelines I have seen.  The MVC would get NDSU, SDSU and Omaha baseball when the Summit adds Montana and Idaho and loses ORU, WIU, and PUFW, potentially helping the MVC.  The MVC didn’t like that UNI dropped baseball, but without Wichita St now, the MVC isn’t so concerned about baseball quality.

9 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Some agreement had to have been made to satisfy NDSU and make them change their vote for UND.  NDSU having a path to FBS, with UND’s help, could be a big part of that.

The delay in extending Bresciani's contract may have played a role too....

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The delay in extending Bresciani's contract may have played a role too....

Definitely agree.  There was some issue that wasn’t divulged that held up Bresciani’s extension.  Bresciani needed to show teamwork with other ND schools was the complaint.  Blocking a schools athletic program would be a major issue.

34 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Definitely agree.  There was some issue that wasn’t divulged that held up Bresciani’s extension.  Bresciani needed to show teamwork with other ND schools was the complaint.  Blocking a schools athletic program would be a major issue.

My biggest point of curiosity is... so many of your predictions have failed and deadlines have passed. Any reason anyone should buy a word you have to say?

Everyone is wrong at least from time to time... you've somehow managed to never hit on a single thing. 

7 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

My biggest point of curiosity is... so many of your predictions have failed and deadlines have passed. Any reason anyone should buy a word you have to say?

Everyone is wrong at least from time to time... you've somehow managed to never hit on a single thing. 

You have no curiosity, just here to cause trouble like your beer buddy bison73.

Just prefer the boastfully ignorant to be as always surprised.

37 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

You have no curiosity, just here to cause trouble like your beer buddy bison73.

Just prefer the boastfully ignorant to be as always surprised.

As far as i'm aware, bison73 doesn't drink.