SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

A Freedom of Information request to UTRGV confirms that UTRGV will start FBS, but not FCS.

First, they will need a FBS conference invite.  They are already a WAC member and there has been persistent rumors from other media and WAC sources that the WAC will make FBS invites to FCS schools, like Sam Houston St, Lamar, Cal Poly, UCDavis, and Sac St as members.  Wichita St and Mo St can go FBS as affiliates.

https://www.brownsvilleherald.com/premium/utrgv-football-feasibility-study-reveals-benefits-pitfalls/article_66307f29-b1f7-571d-bb39-8632add3ab8c.html?mode=jqm

There has been a delay in releasing the study, and a spokesman says there are several reasons for that.

Have said for some time this was coming, but mostly got jeers for being so ridiculous in trolls and other posters minds.

The report absolutely didn't confirm they will start anything. The report also includes several huge hurdles that aren't solved yet including funding, Title IX (which is already disproportionate) and a stadium to play in. 

“We have the report and are currently working on a business plan to see if football at UTRGV is feasible,” Gonzales said in a statement. “Once the business plan is in place and a new chancellor is in place, we will determine whether or not to move forward with a student referendum.”

“There was never a hard deadline for when we would make a decision on whether we would have football,” Gonzales said via email. 

Also, Missouri St? :blink:

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

The report absolutely didn't confirm they will start anything. The report also includes several huge hurdles that aren't solved yet including funding, Title IX (which is already disproportionate) and a stadium to play in. 

Also, Missouri St? :blink:

A minor league team for the Houston Dynamos is adding on to their stadium not far from UTRGV.  That eliminates great facility cost.  A UTRGV indoor practice center just needs a roof to protect them from the sun.  One of the reasons that UTSA didn’t have trouble financing an FBS team is they had the AlamoDome and 40 k students to pay for increased athletic fees.  UTRGV is remarkably similar.

Missouri St has grown tremendously in the wake of the Mizzou scandals and has already built an FBS capable stadium.  Mo St needs to move to FBS to take its rightful place on the Missouri and national sports scene.  The Sun Belt has begged them to move, but Belt basketball isnt what the Mo St aspires to.  The western CUSA or the American would have to invite before they would leave the MVC, but they need to be FBS first.  They don’t give a damn about the MVFC as there isn’t money in it. 

FCS to FBS moves are not performance based, as bison squawkers would have you believe.  Those FCS to FBS decision are entirely financial decisions and having a credible regional academic conference, but granted a proper fan base and media base helps.  NDSU doesn’t have the money too entertain the MWC or the MAC and both of them wouldn’t consider them even if they had the money.

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

Since they are building a new soccer stadium in Colorado Srings, that means Colorado College is going FBS. 

CC is Division I in women’s soccer and an affiliate of CUSA in that sport.  Makes sense that they upgrade for that sport too as it can be a Title IX issue.

Since they are DIII in all other sports, it would take almost 13 years to be eligible for FBS if they started last July 1st.

27 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I heard they also got new marching band uniforms. 

Gonna be interesting what formations the Wichita State band will have with more than 200 members on the basketball court.  The band members will have to mighty tiny to even fit, not to mention move around to different formations,   Maybe they are planning a band of munchkins, as the Wizard of Oz was based in Kansas.  You could probably qualify, Siouxphan.

My mistake as Colorado College is in the Mountain West now for women’s soccer.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Gonna be interesting what formations the Wichita State band will have with more than 200 members on the basketball court.  The band members will have to mighty tiny to even fit, not to mention move around to different formations,   Maybe they are planning a band of munchkins, as the Wizard of Oz was based in Kansas.  You could probably qualify, Siouxphan.

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/article215162835.html

The brass, saxophone and percussion ensemble, an offshoot of the Shocker Sound pep band, will perform during halftime at some WSU basketball games and other athletic and campus events, Sternfeld-Dunn said.

WSU shuttered its marching band program when it discontinued football in 1986. Officials decided to resurrect the band — without a football team — because WSU was losing students to other universities with marching band programs, Sternfeld-Dunn said. “We have been at music conferences with booths set up and had students come up and say, ‘Tell me about your marching band,’ ” he said. “And we say, ‘We don’t have one,’ and they turn around and leave.“This has been a need in our school for a long time.”

Tim Shade, WSU’s director of bands, said he hopes to have about 100 students participate in Shocker Sound Machine this year. 

Shocker Sound Machine won’t look or sound like the marching bands you see on football fields, with their heavy wool uniforms and feather-plumed hats, Shade said.

20 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

On the Shockers official release, it says the goal is to grow the band to 200 members.  That’s kind of difficult on a basketball court.  A Munchkin band?

https://www.wichita.edu/about/wsunews/news/2018/07-july/shocker_sound_machine_marching_band_story.php

Wichita State can’t officially announce a WAC affiliate invite yet, the same issue as UTRGV, but they have to proceed with the band, because it’s needed to raise enrollment and generate excitement for football.

6 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

On the Shockers official release, it says the goal is to grow the band to 200 members.  That’s kind of difficult on a basketball court.  A Munchkin band?

Well ... it is Kansas, ... Dorothy, Toto, Auntie ... that whole thing. ;) 

For the folks that get their knickers all in a twist over this thread, here's the title (key word emphasized):

Could. 
@Goon could wake up tomorrow the handsomest man alive* ...

*Ain't bettin' on it ... but it could happen. ;):D 

48 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Wichita State can’t officially announce a WAC affiliate invite yet, the same issue as UTRGV, but they have to proceed with the band, because it’s needed to raise enrollment and generate excitement for football.

So what you're saying they can't announce it because no decision has actually been made yet to restart football due to their still being significant hurdles to overcome, many of which they don't have the answers to and furthermore, the decision to bring back a marching band actually has no direct correlation on whether or not they restart their football program. And even if they did restart, there is no concrete plans in place for the WAC to bring back football because there are a ton of moving parts that have to align for it to work out, many of which are long-shots at this point, .

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

For the folks that get their knickers all in a twist over this thread, here's the title (key word emphasized):

That's a good point.  When something new is posted on this thread I open it up to read ideas/thoughts on why/how UND and the Big Sky could go FBS.  I really have no interest, or time, to read all the back and forth bickering.

Will it ever happen?  I have no idea.  Is it being thought about and has it been discussed by the Big Sky presidents & the commissioner?  I would hope so, otherwise they're not doing their jobs.

I'm sure a lot of people pointed fingers, laughed at and thought Wilbur and Orville were a little loony when they told people they were going to build a flying machine powered with a rubber band.  Others laughed at Henry when he was trying to replace the horse and buggy with a motor driven buggy.  It's a good thing there are some that dare to go out on the ledge and try something because there are a lot more that would rather sit in a safe chair and laugh at these crazy-*** ideas. 

Maybe someone should start a thread titled UND and the Big Sky can't go FBS. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Could. 
@Goon could wake up tomorrow the handsomest man alive* ...

*Ain't bettin' on it ... but it could happen. ;):D 

Talk about some low hanging fruit. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :) 

29 minutes ago, Rick said:

That's a good point.  When something new is posted on this thread I open it up to read ideas/thoughts on why/how UND and the Big Sky could go FBS.  I really have no interest, or time, to read all the back and forth bickering.

Will it ever happen?  I have no idea.  Is it being thought about and has it been discussed by the Big Sky presidents & the commissioner?  I would hope so, otherwise they're not doing their jobs.

I'm sure a lot of people pointed fingers, laughed at and thought Wilbur and Orville were a little loony when they told people they were going to build a flying machine powered with a rubber band.  Others laughed at Henry when he was trying to replace the horse and buggy with a motor driven buggy.  It's a good thing there are some that dare to go out on the ledge and try something because there are a lot more that would rather sit in a safe chair and laugh at these crazy-*** ideas. 

Maybe someone should start a thread titled UND and the Big Sky can't go FBS. 

Simple answer why UND isn't going FBS.....Money.  Upgrades to the stadium or a new stadium to meet attendance requirements, increased scholarships/cost of attendance, increase in coaches salaries, increase in travel, etc, etc, etc.  That all costs money.  Any by that I mean tens of millions more PER YEAR.  I get the mindset that anything can happen.  but as it stands right now, looking at the cost to play at the FBS level, Right now there is an absolute zero percent chance that UND ever moves up to FBS and it is not even close.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Simple answer why UND isn't going FBS.....Money.  Upgrades to the stadium or a new stadium to meet attendance requirements, increased scholarships/cost of attendance, increase in coaches salaries, increase in travel, etc, etc, etc.  That all costs money.  Any by that I mean tens of millions more PER YEAR.  I get the mindset that anything can happen.  but as it stands right now, looking at the cost to play at the FBS level, Right now there is an absolute zero percent chance that UND ever moves up to FBS and it is not even close.  

Allow me to take your statement and restate what you said: 

It could happen if someone showed up with a boatload of cash and a long-term endowment. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

It's a good thing there are some that dare to go out on the ledge and try something because there are a lot more that would rather sit in a safe chair and laugh at these crazy-*** ideas. 

What you describe is well explained in the book "Mindset" by Dweck

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

No no no.  You’ve misinterpreted the tea leaves once again.  If you read between the lines you can clearly see they’re going with a combo band of both munchkins and flying monkeys, meaning they’ll only need half the floor space. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

It could happen if someone showed up with a boatload of cash and a long-term endowment. 

Apparently, there's a zero percent chance of that happening Wilbur.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Like once before, the ND state legislature could say hold on, slow down, this might be toooo big for this state?