SiouxSports.com Forum

I don't question Randy Nelson's integrity.

The athletic director at Shanley? - at the very least he didn't come close to following procedure with parent complaints (which led to a good coach getting fired) and folded like a cheap lawn chair. That's the best you can say about him in this farce. A fair man would have at least insisted on following policy concerning whiney parents.
  • Upvote 2

As a local, have you heard about any other underlying cause(s) as to why Coach Swanson was fired?

Sadly. It is exactly as has been reported as far as the incident that led to his dismissal(now as far as motivations behind what this parent did could be another story). Stay tuned if this parent tries to angle for an "assistant" coaching job in the program. This was to be Coach Swanson's final season as he was stepping down after this season to spend his time watching his kids activities as they are getting to that age.

The bad thing that no one is really talking about is the rift this is causing/will cause within the team.

It would be interesting to know though who is in better shape? The 13 year old girl in dance or the 13 year old boy in hockey?

A debatable topic indeed. They both are definitely getting their share of mental and physical stress.

But, one must ask, regardless of youth sports-- who is in better shape when in fifteen years or so the boy marries the girl, and then stays married for oh, say, another 15-20 years? I'm guessing the mental stress leads to severe emotional trauma for the boy. Especially the Taz Boy.

Private school in an employment at will state. Good luck to him.

Just heard him on Kfan talking to Barreiro, explaining how it all went down...When asked if he would pursue this matter in a legal fashion, Swanson said he wasn't sure what he was going to do...

Assuming this is his only transgression and his story is accurate, I have a couple of thoughts. As a school board member for 17 yrs we don't fire a coach cuz a parent complains. We first suggest the athlete sit down and talk to the coach. If that doesn't solve the issue the parent should make an appointment with the coach. If that doesn't work then the parent can make an appointment with the activities director. If that doesn't work they can make an appointment with the activities committee. The process tends to let parent vent and give them and their athlete an opportunity to work with staff to come up with a solution.

If there seems to be a problem with a coach, we would have them meet with the activities director to present their side of the story. We then have policies in place to protect their rights as an employee and allow for due process. Sometimes we have coaches do dumb things or even fail to follow policy. We come up with a corrective action plan and that has allowed some of our coaches to mature and develop rather than lose a potential good coach cuz of a mistake.

There are a couple of things in this email however that concern me. We do not allow our coaches in the off season to make demands of our athletes who participate in other sports during those seasons. That can lead to overuse injuries and kids need to be allowed to be students and kids. Some kids need to work. I think it is great to make facilities available for kids for off season workouts but it isn't appropriate to threaten a kids playing time cuz they aren't practicing baseball when they are in the middle of hockey, bb or wrestling season. I certainly wouldn't fire a coach for this and even if he had been told not to do this you need to allow him due process.

As far as the parent, doesn't matter if its private school or your are a big donor, you don't demand a coach be fired cuz he challenged your kid to do off season workouts. Tell your kid to talk to the coach or you talk to him if that doesn't work.

Lastly, as a Catholic and product of 12 yrs of Catholic education, it bothers me we take a parent complaining more serious than the issues we had with pedophile priests.

Well written. Most school policies are like what you described, and nobody gets fired just because of one parent complaint.

There's a lot more to this story than what's come out so far.

The athletic director at Shanley? - at the very least he didn't come close to following procedure with parent complaints (which led to a good coach getting fired) and folded like a cheap lawn chair. That's the best you can say about him in this farce. A fair man would have at least insisted on following policy concerning whiney parents.

And you know this how?

And you know this how?

At the first interview, Swanson brought a high-lited handbook that shows clearly that policy. Show me where he even got a chance to sit down with the parents and address the complaint. Listening to a parent bitch and then immediately firing the coach is some gutless ADing in my book. At least give Swanson a chance to meet with the whiners before ruining his coaching career. In my opinion this behavior shows a lack of spine at the very least.

At the first interview, Swanson brought a high-lited handbook that shows clearly that policy. Show me where he even got a chance to sit down with the parents and address the complaint. Listening to a parent bitch and then immediately firing the coach is some gutless ADing in my book. At least give Swanson a chance to meet with the whiners before ruining his coaching career. In my opinion this behavior shows a lack of spine at the very least.

Thanks Irish

You sound like you know a lot about what went down. Do you know if this was the sole reason Swanson was canned? Have you spoken to the Shanley administration? Swanson seems like a good coach. I don't have any inside info like you other then heresay and guessing about this being more than just this one incident? and I should add I don't know if anything I have heard is true!

Nd state law allows an employer to end an employee's employment for no reason. If I were to take a stab at this one I'd guess he was dismissed for no reason.

And you know this how?

On Shanley’s website, under Resolution of Ordinary Differences within the School Community, one will find the statement:

“… the following general guidelines shall be followed:

“In any conflict, an effort shall first be made to resolve the issue in a spirit of fairness and justice by following the ordinary and regular communication channels between the people involved.

“If the conflict cannot be resolved following steps one and two above, then …. employee may have recourse to the superintendent who will initiate discussion between the parties and attempt to bring about a peaceful resolution (www.jp2schools.org/central-office/jpii-catholic-schools-council).”

All I know is that if I got something like that from my coaches, I would have typed it, printed it and stuck in my locker to look at every day. If my parents saw that message, they would have told me to get my butt to the gym.

Its sad that my generation is becoming more and more of the trophy generation, which is a damn shame.

“The existence of parent complaints must not be the sole reason for a board to not renew a coaching contract.’’

This is the law that they passed in Minnesota last year to try to protect coaches, I wonder if this might be the direction a lot of states go in the future if of course this is success. Of course they could try to find a way around it if they wanted to.

I want to take a step back. Is this what most of you believe? Coach sends text, rich parent doesn't like it, goes to school and demands coach get fired or they take johnny and cash and leave school, AD acts solely because parent threatens and fires spotless record coach without any due process because school doesn't want rich parent and money to leave.

I too would be upset if this is the truth and whole truth.

2 parents went into the opposing team's locker room. WTF is this world coming to? And then a fistfight between coaches and the dad in front of 7 and 8 year olds? I just don't know what to say here...

Team ejected after punches thrown at youth hockey tournament in West Fargo

Wow...I feel really bad for the kid whose parents got their whole team thrown out of the tourney. He's only 7 or 8 and he's got a tremendous amount of baggage to lug around the rest of his hockey playing days!