SiouxSports.com Forum

Top Stadium "Experiences" -

choyt3

I am sure you do, as you get to host a Regional or Frozen Four 3 out of every 4 years at the X with the current setup. If the X was in East Grand Forks I would feel the same way.

And there are some (insert team name here) fans who want permanent regional sites. One at the X, another in Boston. And others at TBD sites.

HMMMM.

I prefer the Overrated more, actually.

I don't feel like looking it up, but has anyone heard anything new about possibly coming back to campus sites for regionals in 2017 and 2018? I know they left those years open for that possibility but I haven't heard anything more

We probably won't hear anything on it until after the Coaches meetings in Florida after the season.

Any more talk of doing a best of three at the higher seeds' home rinks for the opening round? That would certainly fill the barns plus reward the higher seeds which, I thought the powers that be would want to try to get the top seeds into the FF.

I believe they left those years open because campus sites were the only ones that applied. It appears they're trying to avoid it, but they gave Notre Dame a regional on campus in 2015? because nobody else in that region applied to host (or so they claim).

Yes, UND was a number one seed. It was considered by many to be a monumental upset by Michigan. I was there...it was a joke that UND had to play Michigan at Yost.

There were PLENTY of rule changes enacted after that travesty including no home team logos on the ice (with the exception of the hosting school logo), no "alternate jersey," the lower seed must use visiting locker rooms even if its their home rink...I am sure I am missing a few.

As much as I hate the low attendance at regionals I still like it more than using home rinks.

Of course you do, Mariucci. If the 2017 regional is in St Paul and the Sioux or Michigan go 30-0 in the regular season and conference tournament play, they might STILL have to beat a 20-10 Gopher team in front of 10,000-12,000 Gopher fans just to GET to the Frozen Four.

And since the X is a venue that continues to bid on regionals and be awarded them almost every other year it seems, that increases Minnesota's chances of making the Frozen Four exponentially.

My theory? If Alaska-Anchorage goes 25-5 in the regular season and is ranked #1 in the country, why shouldn't they be rewarded with another 2-3 home games for the right to go to the Frozen Four? Can you imagine the NFL or NHL running things this way? Great job on the Presidents Trophy, Bruins. Now because a site was pre-selected four years ago, you now need to win a playoff game against Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh in order to advance on in the playoffs. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Of course you do, Mariucci. If the 2017 regional is in St Paul and the Sioux or Michigan go 30-0 in the regular season and conference tournament play, they might STILL have to beat a 20-10 Gopher team in front of 10,000-12,000 Gopher fans just to GET to the Frozen Four.

And since the X is a venue that continues to bid on regionals and be awarded them almost every other year it seems, that increases Minnesota's chances of making the Frozen Four exponentially.

My theory? If Alaska-Anchorage goes 25-5 in the regular season and is ranked #1 in the country, why shouldn't they be rewarded with another 2-3 home games for the right to go to the Frozen Four? Can you imagine the NFL or NHL running things this way? Great job on the Presidents Trophy, Bruins. Now because a site was pre-selected four years ago, you now need to win a playoff game against Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh in order to advance on in the playoffs. Good luck!

Well put MafiaMan

Ohh whatever.....that 1998 Michigan team beats North Dakota whether there are six Sioux fans in attendnace or 6,000...... ;)

If they bring it back to campus sites (which they should) they need one simple rule. The team that hosts is the high seed. Giving fans time to travel isn't an excuse because chances are if it's at a schools home arena it's going to sell out anyways. The way they did the on campus regionals before was a joke. You should never run into the problem of a 4 seed possibly hosting a regional in their home arena because that screws over the team that had a good season and earned the one seed. Just my two cents

One other thing that wasn't specifically mentioned - travel. Instead of that 20-10 gopher team possibly heading east, they get to stay in the metro. Not having to leave New England has been pretty good for BC, hasn't it?

More often than not, teams like UM, BC, UND, etc. have earned the right to stay close to home by having good seasons. Teams like MN and BC, that are lucky to have a regional in their backyard every-other year, get the odds tilted in favor of not having to travel when that "bad" season happens during a hosting year.

Ultimately, it comes down to the need for more acceptable "neutral" sites in the west. We have a lot of great facilities in MN, but most all of them except the X are home venues for their college teams!

I like that Scheel's Arena is now in the mix.

One other thing that wasn't specifically mentioned - travel. Instead of that 20-10 gopher team possibly heading east, they get to stay in the metro. Not having to leave New England has been pretty good for BC, hasn't it?

More often than not, teams like UM, BC, UND, etc. have earned the right to stay close to home by having good seasons. Teams like MN and BC, that are lucky to have a regional in their backyard every-other year, get the odds tilted in favor of not having to travel when that "bad" season happens during a hosting year.

Ultimately, it comes down to the need for more acceptable "neutral" sites in the west. We have a lot of great facilities in MN, but most all of them except the X are home venues for their college teams!

I like that Scheel's Arena is now in the mix.

Nice post, Snake. It is always amusing watching Gopher fans try to explain that the X is a 'neutral' site venue. Remember the 2002 NCAA Frozen Four when Don Lucia was asked about the potential crowd and his response was something to the effect that he expected a 50/50 Maine/Minnesota split? That was downright comical. That's like saying a Frozen Four at Boston Garden involving Boston College and Minnesota would draw a half-and-half split. No way that happens.

The higher seeds don't matter at all, especially if you're the host school in your own yard and the #4 seed. Heck, Wisconsin's last title was won without ever having to leave the state! Regional in Green Bay, Frozen Four in Milwaukee.