SiouxSports.com Forum

Top Stadium "Experiences" -

choyt3

I love Mariucci--I'm not complaining about it. But you have to admit it's difficult to think about the rink without also thinking of smelly, slope-headed, nose-picking gopher fans. Decent rink though.

olympic ice sheet is stupid too...
  • Upvote 1

I posed this in a comment to their ratings:

I was very surprised that the Ralph Englestad Arena the home of University of North Dakota Hockey was not included. Even more surprise that Mariucci (Minnesota Gopher Hockey), Century Link in Omaha (Nebraska Omaha Hockey) and World Arena (Colorado College Hockey) were in your top 100. I have been to all of these arenas and they are very pedestrian. Mariucci has a corporate feel with almost no noise unless a goal is scored. Century Link is too large for Omaha hockey and portions are closed to make it more intimate. It doesn't really work. World Arena is a strangely shaped arena and not the best to watch a hockey game. REA reminds me more of the Excel Energy Center in St Paul where this are no bad seats, great atmosphere, and great hockey., I am guessing you were at REA when no students were there which obviously limits the experience.

PS. Great to see Amsoil Arena as your Number 1. Great facility and very intimate for a fan!

It was a rating of "atmosphere" not quality of stadium. The Ralph, too often, is a library setting.

People complain that the team isn't giving the fans anything to cheer about. Well, I'm under the impression that the fans should cheer on the team to get them going, not the team playing well to get the crowd going.

I'm a big believer in Hakstol, but this is one area where I wish he'd speak up. Tom Crean did it when he went to coach Indiana, now their fan base has been rocking more and more since they've been there. I think Hak should try to do something to encourage the fans to be more raucous.

kinda hurts when you don't have a natty in the last 14 years.

Wow! Is that the only criteria for being a fan and cheering... I have been going to UND hockey since 1993 and UND has hung a lot of banners and won a lot of hockey games during that time. I have heard a lot of cheering as well.

I think I heard this about either the Wild or the Jets I'm not sure but one of that fan bases is so knowledgable in hockey that when watching games they are a really silent crowd just actually watching the game and the plays develop. I don't know if that makes sense at all to you guys but it does to me and I wonder if that's a reason why it gets quiet in the Ralph. Personally I'm never yelling anything or participating in any chants other than when we score of course I cheer but I would rather just enjoy the beautiful game on the ice.

• Upvote 4

You're right again. I'm surprised they haven't closed off the upper bowl at the REA because it has been so empty. And finding motel rooms in Grand Forks has never been easier on UND hockey game nights. You can literally walk into any one of them after a game and tell them what you will pay for a room because of all the vacancies. Not to mention the ease of getting a table at any restaurant in town on those days. It's remarkable how quiet Grand Forks has become since the success of another school's football team. Really. ???

I posed this in a comment to their ratings:

I was very surprised that the Ralph Englestad Arena the home of University of North Dakota Hockey was not included. Even more surprise that Mariucci (Minnesota Gopher Hockey), Century Link in Omaha (Nebraska Omaha Hockey) and World Arena (Colorado College Hockey) were in your top 100. I have been to all of these arenas and they are very pedestrian. Mariucci has a corporate feel with almost no noise unless a goal is scored. Century Link is too large for Omaha hockey and portions are closed to make it more intimate. It doesn't really work. World Arena is a strangely shaped arena and not the best to watch a hockey game. REA reminds me more of the Excel Energy Center in St Paul where this are no bad seats, great atmosphere, and great hockey., I am guessing you were at REA when no students were there which obviously limits the experience.

PS. Great to see Amsoil Arena as your Number 1. Great facility and very intimate for a fan!

To be fair, Century Link Center made it as the home of Creighton Basketball, not Omaha Hockey.

I just see my a lot more people that I know who wear bison stuff now in stead of Sioux stuff

I know people who have decked out big bus's golf carts etc in bison stuff who were once big Sioux fans

you cant tell me the atmosphere at the ralph now is the same as when it opened after only a couple years of winning a natty

don't shoot the messenger

im just a realist

I agree and so does Lucia. I'm not sure when but they have decided to renovate and make it closer to NHL size. I believe it will be 200 x 90 or so.

And that's a shame. I'm probably in the minority on this but I'd personally be in favor of all rinks moving to the bigger surface. The Olympic ice sheet gives players more room to make plays. Today's hockey player is simply much larger in size than players in the 1940's and 1950's. Sometimes the 5 on 5 game in the NHL is like watching 10 kids playing in a sandbox.

grand forks loves winners

the state loves winners

look at how many fans left Sioux hockey to spend more money on bison football

its incredible

What fans left Sioux hockey? The REA continues to be sold out pretty much every night and there is still a waiting list for season tickets. Must be those same people that "quit" donating when the nickname was dropped.

I just see my a lot more people that I know who wear bison stuff now in stead of Sioux stuff

I know people who have decked out big bus's golf carts etc in bison stuff who were once big Sioux fans

you cant tell me the atmosphere at the ralph now is the same as when it opened after only a couple years of winning a natty

That's funny...in 13 years of being at the WCHA Final Five, I never ONCE saw anyone wearing anything with a Bison or NDSU on it.

And despite a 16-19-2 season in the year it opened, including a 7-9-1 record at home, you're saying REA was rockin' back in the good old days as opposed to today?

People now its go to the ralph for the social aspect

U see the crowd during the concurse and the bar areas

I completely agree on both counts. But that's been my analysis since the place opened - too many people there "to be seen" as opposed to actually watch hockey.

• Upvote 2

How come i use to catch heck when I said the same thing? It is a big social event every weekend.

I don't recall ever disagreeing with you previously on that issue. I used to have season tickets thru about the 2007 or 2008 season. Simply couldn't make every home weekend but also frustrated with having to get out of my seat 75 times a game so the folks around me could run and go grab another beer.