SiouxSports.com Forum

US vs Canada - Women's Hockey

BobIwabuchiFan

Whoa whoa whoa.  

Previously, USA Hockey paid each member of the women's national team only $6,000 for the entire six-month training residency before each Olympic Games. The other 3½ years, the players' only financial support came in training stipends the USOC provides athletes.

• Until now, those USOC training stipends ranged from $750 for newer members of the women's national hockey team to a cap of $2,000 a month. Going forward, every national team player will get the maximum $2,000 monthly stipend, regardless of her experience level, with USA Hockey making up whatever monthly difference the USOC doesn't pay.

The Women claimed that they gotten NOTHING in those other 3.5 years.  This says they got a training stipend the entire time.  With the veterans, the Lammys, getting $2000/month.  

Were they purposely lying this entire time about what they really received?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, cberkas said:

Someone did call out Brad on how he is only telling the women's side.

What was his response? Seems like there are no journalists left, just people that want to push their agenda.

• Upvote 1

USA Hockey completely caved.  Get ready for dues increases and the average stiff having to subsidize the lifestyles of grown women.   This situation was a farce from the beginning.  But our culture is a mixture of political correctness and ignorance, so this result was foreseeable.  

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

I feel bad for all the families with young children paying. It's going to get more expensive lol

Now just wait.....the Lamoureux Hockey Camp in Detroit Lakes this summer will cost less, or even be free now for my 2 girls.  I will sit by my mail box until my refund arrives.:p

29 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

I feel bad for all the families with young children paying. It's going to get more expensive lol

Ehh, probably an increase of a couple of bucks unless they get some sponsorship to cover the cost.  A couple more bucks on hockey isn't that much.  It's a matter of principle though.  Just wrong if this is funded by the youth hockey playing membership.

2 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Ehh, probably an increase of a couple of bucks unless they get some sponsorship to cover the cost.  A couple more bucks on hockey isn't that much.  It's a matter of principle though.  Just wrong if this is funded by the youth hockey playing membership.

I don't know how much dues will have to be increased because of it.  But if it's $1, that's $1 too much. USA Hockey should not be employing elite athletes who cannot find work as professional hockey players.  That is simply absurd and a slap in the face to all of us paying real money to belong to the organization.   

• Upvote 4

100% agree. 

I pay about $100 a year in registration fees for my son's player membership and my coaching membership.  Add in the cost of Level 1-4 coaching certifications, with Level 4 costing me about $300 in registration not to mention 2 nights hotel and travel expenses (probably close to another $500), and paying for coaching modules at each age level, enough is enough.  I guess I just look at it as the cost of playing/coaching and am willing to bear it.  You know who isn't?  Mites.  New families.  They see a $50 registration fee to USA Hockey and they gripe.  Heck, we only charge new Mite skaters $50 for the season (which our foundation picks up the tab so it is essentially $0) and $100 for returning Mite players...but USA Hockey requires $50?  What the heck?  Something is not right with that picture.

In case you're scratching your head at the low cost of Mite hockey, fundraising picks up the difference.  All included we need to generate about $500/year to put a Mite player on the ice for a season.

So wasn't there talk about dumping Women's Hockey as an Olympic sport because there are only 2 or possibly 3 teams that can compete?  This could even create a bigger gap if they are paid that much when other countries are playing out of love of country.  How long before the sport gets dumped from the Olympics, and then if it does do they still pay them to train for the World Championships?  

Uh oh! It sounds like Dave Hakstol, a near-deity on this forum, was supporting the boycott:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4242092-us-womens-hockey-team-reaches-agreement-usa-hockey

Among those who have spoken out in support of the players are former UND head men's hockey coach Dave Hakstol, now the head coach of the Philadelphia Flyers, and 20 U.S. Senators who sent a letter to USA Hockey a day earlier.

Anyone care to rip Hakstol on this? Because anyone who doesn't march lock-step with classical economic orthodoxy has earned the scorn of others, right? :silly:

Lamoureux-Davidson said: "The support has been overwhelming in a positive way. I can't thank people enough for standing with us in the fight, especially the players who turned down a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play in the Worlds. They saw the bigger picture. It's a historic day. USA Hockey and the Women's National Team are both going to benefit from this."

Amen Jocelyne! A-freaking-men! It's too bad your former supporters on this forum don't feel the same way. ???

I don't care if I am the only one on here that feels this way, but good luck at the World Championship tournament and beat those insufferable Canadians! :)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Uh oh! It sounds like Dave Hakstol, a near-deity on this forum, was supporting the boycott:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4242092-us-womens-hockey-team-reaches-agreement-usa-hockey

Anyone care to rip Hakstol on this? Because anyone who doesn't march lock-step with classical economic orthodoxy has earned the scorn of others, right? :silly:

Amen Jocelyne! A-freaking-men! It's too bad your former supporters on this forum don't feel the same way. ???

I don't care if I am the only one on here that feels this way, but good luck at the World Championship tournament and beat those insufferable Canadians! :)

I've ripped Hakstol in a couple of my posts on this subject since I saw his tweet. It all comes back to my feeling that it's really easy to spend other peoples money. Hakstol (like Schlossman) want to play hero. Not look at things objectively and kind of pick it apart (i.e. wanting Travel / Companion to equal men's makes sense, the $70,000 salary doesn't). Hak isn't brave for his stance, he just wanted to feed his own ego by having tell everyone what a great guy he is for standing up. I mean who cares who has to pay for it, it's not coming out of my paycheck.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

I've ripped Hakstol in a couple of my posts on this subject since I saw his tweet. It all comes back to my feeling that it's really easy to spend other peoples money. Hakstol (like Schlossman) want to play hero. Not look at things objectively and kind of pick it apart (i.e. wanting Travel / Companion to equal men's makes sense, the $70,000 salary doesn't). Hak isn't brave for his stance, he just wanted to feed his own ego by having tell everyone what a great guy he is for standing up. I mean who cares who has to pay for it, it's not coming out of my paycheck.

This whole thing is an unintended consequence of allowing professional athletes into the Olympics. It has trickled down to the IIHF level as well. Get professionals out of the Olympics and things will even out.