SiouxSports.com Forum

Portland State Football - "must be fiscally self-sufficient"

The Sicatoka

How can they afford so much when Wyoming is smaller than ND and really has no more money than ND. Richer boosters? More NCAA money?

Next year, Wyoming begins collecting nearly $1 mill more from to football playoff. Couple that with MWC payouts and FBS bodybag games and its easier to pay FBS salaries.,

Portland State's football program has been told it must be fiscally self-sufficient going forward because of a $15 million budget shortfall at the university.http://www.oregonliv...ball_progr.htmlNow, linking in a different, but related, thought by "ira" in another thread:We know there are "haves" and "have nots" in the Big Sky.If this is the first sign of coming fiscal issues at other schools it's time for UND to behave as a "have" (because it is).Don't get left behind with the have nots.
A winning program is not going to attract flies at PSU unless its FBS. This is the first wave in the Big Sky to FBS push. There's no profit or breakeven for sports at all for PSU: why are they demanding football breakeven?Have maintained for a while that UM, MSU, PSU, Sac, UND, EWU, NAU, WSU with NDSU would make a push for FBS on their terms (77 schollies). Why stay FCS when there is more to gain by FBS for less cost. Start bowls in Seattle and the Twin Cities Dome and you have the bowls needed for the conference.

• 2 weeks later...

A winning program is not going to attract flies at PSU unless its FBS. This is the first wave in the Big Sky to FBS push. There's no profit or breakeven for sports at all for PSU: why are they demanding football breakeven?Have maintained for a while that UM, MSU, PSU, Sac, UND, EWU, NAU, WSU with NDSU would make a push for FBS on their terms (77 schollies). Why stay FCS when there is more to gain by FBS for less cost. Start bowls in Seattle and the Twin Cities Dome and you have the bowls needed for the conference.

So, what is happening to create a DI football level at 77 scholarships? Enlighten me? Why would you spend an additional 2 million on 28 (14x2) scholarships when nobody from the current FBS 85 level is coming down to play with you. The current gap of 22 scholarships between FCS and FBS keeps the current FCS teams and leagues at-bay from the Top Level. The 4 team championshp deal recently agreed to is keeping all 127 teams in the FBS at 85.

Look at me, I'm at 77 scholarships, and I'm not eligible for a Bowl or the FCS title, and I can't afford this! How is that benefiting anyone? I think the two levels will stay in-tact for at least the next 5-10 years, and the FBS playoff will expand from 4 to 8 to 12. and more FBS conferences will be involved. I don't see any benefit in increasing FCS scholarships to anything less than 85 right now, and almost all the teams you listed aint going to 85, let's be honest. Unless there is an FBS spits (not happening for at least 5-10 years), the Big Sky aint going up in scholarships, period.

If the FBS relaxed the scholarship level and created a 77-85 slot, it would increase the number of teams in the FBS, which is what the Top Conferences do not want. Why would this happen? The FBS controls the FBS scholarship levels with the NCAA, so why would they sabatoge themselves by allowing teams in at 77 scholarships? Sorry, makes no sense.

Portland St going to 85 scholarship would be a 2 year death sentence, but I guess FCS football isn't sustainable for them either.

So, what is happening to create a DI football level at 77 scholarships? Enlighten me? Why would you spend an additional 2 million on 28 (14x2) scholarships when nobody from the current FBS 85 level is coming down to play with you. The current gap of 22 scholarships between FCS and FBS keeps the current FCS teams and leagues at-bay from the Top Level. The 4 team championshp deal recently agreed to is keeping all 127 teams in the FBS at 85.

Look at me, I'm at 77 scholarships, and I'm not eligible for a Bowl or the FCS title, and I can't afford this! How is that benefiting anyone? I think the two levels will stay in-tact for at least the next 5-10 years, and the FBS playoff will expand from 4 to 8 to 12. and more FBS conferences will be involved. I don't see any benefit in increasing FCS scholarships to anything less than 85 right now, and almost all the teams you listed aint going to 85, let's be honest. Unless there is an FBS spits (not happening for at least 5-10 years), the Big Sky aint going up in scholarships, period.

If the FBS relaxed the scholarship level and created a 77-85 slot, it would increase the number of teams in the FBS, which is what the Top Conferences do not want. Why would this happen? The FBS controls the FBS scholarship levels with the NCAA, so why would they sabatoge themselves by allowing teams in at 77 scholarships? Sorry, makes no sense.

Portland St going to 85 scholarship would be a 2 year death sentence, but I guess FCS football isn't sustainable for them either.

You mentioned going from 4-8-12 teams in a playoff. My question for you is there really 8 or 12 teams that would deserve to be in even?

77 scholarships is the minimum for FBS (90 percent of 85).

You mentioned going from 4-8-12 teams in a playoff. My question for you is there really 8 or 12 teams that would deserve to be in even?

How many teams deserve to be in the FCS playoff? The size of the FCS pool is about exactly the same as the FBS pool of 127. If 16-20-24 if right for FCS with 125 teams, how can 4 be right for FBS?

That I do not know; however, if found to be true it would not surprise me.

90% of 85, or 77 scholarships is the minimum number to be eligible. So you can't really target 77, or you'd run the risk of not being at the level required to be eligible. So really, you need to target 80-85, so when you lose a few players you don't fall below the minimum. Targeting 77 would be a losing proposition, targeting 77 for a conference would not be an option unless there was a change to the current scholly structure.

A conference would not be allowed to move FBS anyway without approval from all FBS conferences, and if you decided as a conference to target a lower level than 85, I'm sure you could forget the whole idea. Approval would not be granted.

• 10 months later...

Indiana State actually talked about going FBS a couple of years ago.  They either have to come  up with the money for a new stadium or go non-scholarship football.  They don't have to worry about getting evicted from the MVC though.

Portland is horribly mismanaged in most of the University.  There's infighting everywhere and not a cohesive plan anywhere.  One of Kelley's buddies from the U of Ill system is President.  Portland State already has a stadium in place, it just needs to get its act together. 

Worked for me but ... try this

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2014/11/07/doyel-indiana-state-facing-a-football-free-future/18283525/

If not, Google "Doyel: Indiana State facing a football-free future?"

That linked worked for me. What a mess for ISUb. 4% on their money rely on FBS games? Yikes!!