SiouxSports.com Forum

Volleyball Coaching Search

SWSiouxMN

Technically Schwiegert was a national search. This is more along the lines when Mussman was named Coach. No need to open it up outside of an internal posting. Why go through all the extra work, reviewing apps, point process, etc if you plan to hire internally. Only way I see Brown being hired is if there aren't any other qualified applicants.

So, we've been told that the search is down to 3. Who do you think the 3 are? The former Ole Miss coach (Joe Getzin) had some good seasons: 3 NCAA tournament appearences, twice named SEC coach of the year. But his last three seasons were all losing records. Utah State assitant coach (Jeremy Lawson) has been around a winning program at USU, and also was a member of a National Championship BYU men's team in 2001. I don't know who the third choice would be, but upper midwest connections seem to be lacking on that list, which is too bad. Someone mentioned that Dan Brown was not one of the finalists, though I thought he served UND well during his time with Hardee.

I think Mark Pryor would be a decent hire who would be able to bring in good players to is competitive. I also think J.T. Wenger would be good but he might just use it as a stepping stone. Tami Audia has a lot of experience with some big time teams too. If Jeremiah Larsen does get it we would quickly be one of the top defensive teams in the county. But would are offense struggle a bit is the question. I think there is a lot of great candidates though and it would be hard to make a bad hire

There is a solid quality of lesser names coaches that would do well. I just feel one of those three would be the best. Pryor will bring in another level of recruits but also has a good track record with head coaching. Larson will bring in players and we will be very very strong defensively. USU is one of the best last year and it's his responsibility there. Wenger is the most interesting. He is young and played very competitive volleyball in college.