SiouxSports.com Forum

Hardee Placed on Leave

UNDColorado

A little more to the story...

This is the second incident UND has had with Hardee.

In June 2012, Hardee was arrested for driving under the influence. He pleaded guilty to the offense and was ordered to pay a fine of $501, according to the Grand Forks Municipal Court.

Faison said the school was made aware of that incident by Hardee, and he was disciplined internally at the time. Faison said that Hardee was verbally reprimanded and put on notice that his contract would be terminated if there was another incident.

No charges have yet been filed in the Portland incident, but Faison was informed that there may be an issue with Hardee’s driver’s license, too.

“My understanding is that he was supposed to have that addressed and he did not get it addressed,” Faison said. “My understanding is that there is an issue with his driver’s license. We didn’t know about that until this morning.”

Asked how Hardee was allowed to drive the team around if there’s an issue with his driver’s license, Faison said the athletic department is trying to figure that out, too.

“I don’t know where the breakdown was,” Faison said. “Honestly, I think that he thought he had it, too. When we had this conversation this morning, he was surprised. But that’s not something that is, in any way, shape or form, OK.”

http://mobile.grandf...icle/id/279518/

Yikes!

While we are speculating rumors....he might have been drunk the night before? 9 girls would supposedly quit just because he drove the next morning "drunk"? .....or maybe him alcohol and young girls in a hotel room?

says the guy with the young hottie as an avatar

I think some things will continue to come out, but at the same time, I'm not sure we'll ever get the whole story because even though the institution is public, there still remains employee privacy protection to a certain degree. So UND may only be able to say so much, unless Coach Hardee says something.

I have a feeling we will find out. The players in the car are gonna talk. And it people will find out. Hardee would be smart to come out and say what happened. Doubt he will do that though.

Sounds like there was a failure on the Athletic Department and the DMV. The Athletic Department should have made sure Hardee was allowed to drive the team, or at least told him he wasn't allowed to drive a vehicle under the possession of the University (rented by the University and owned by the University) for a year. It shouldn't take the DMV over a year to reinstate a drivers license after a first offence DUI (going by the fine). Now Hardee should have made sure the courts had the paper work that said he completed his treatment program. That's what I got from the article about the previous DUI.

I'm not sure that alcohol was involved with the accident in Portland.

• Upvote 1

Here is what I'm thinking.

~DUI in 2012......You watch your actions from now on Mr. Hardee

~Lost license, needed to get it figured out.

~Didn't get it figured out, lied to AD about it.

~Drove collegiate athletes around without a license.

~Got into a motor vehicle accident driving around collegiate athletes and fled the scene, likely because he knew he didn't have a license.

And thus he got strike two which is what lead him to resign before he was fired.

• Upvote 3

Nice reporting back in 2012 GF Hearld. NDSU has an assistant wrestling coach get a DUI and it is on the front page, UND has a head volleyball coach get one and its reported a year and a half later just because there is another incident with him.

That is quite a glass house you are throwing rocks in.

Doesn't look like Hardee's DUI shows up in a public records search.

Will be interesting to see what the results of the Portland investigation is.

Here is what I'm thinking.

~DUI in 2012......You watch your actions from now on Mr. Hardee

~Lost license, needed to get it figured out.

~Didn't get it figured out, lied to AD about it.

~Drove collegiate athletes around without a license.

~Got into a motor vehicle accident driving around collegiate athletes and fled the scene, likely because he knew he didn't have a license.

And thus he got strike two which is what lead him to resign before he was fired.

Seems like a probable scenario. Unfortunate, but glad Faison was going (did) take action. Time to hire someone new and defend the Big Sky Championship.

I have a feeling we will find out. The players in the car are gonna talk. And it people will find out. Hardee would be smart to come out and say what happened. Doubt he will do that though.

Sure people talk...but is it always accurate or is it gossip and hearsay? Who is to really know? The only people that can tell the facts is the Athletic department of which actions they took and the process they implemented said process and Coach Hardee, who is under no obligation to say any more than he already has.

I would hope from this point forward that the finger pointing will stop about who has covered up the transgressions of its staff.

HUGE!!!! coverup on this one. I'm shocked UND didn't issue a press release immediately!!!!!!!!! :silly:

Rarely, is a DUI conveyed to the media. It is usually the local media doing a public records search and then asking about it.

hardee is that you?

Nope, but it didn't take me very long to find the police report at Portland State University. http://psuvanguard.com/news/crime-blotter-nov-26-dec-1/

Dec. 1

Hit and Run

Officer Rominger responded to University Place Hotel at 5:05 a.m. and contacted non-student Patricia Sorensen, who reported a hit and run. It was learned by non-student Dave Krueger that the head coach for the women’s volleyball team from the University of North Dakota, William Ashley “Ash” Hardee, was responsible. Non-student Ellen Krueger told her father, Dave, that Hardee was visibly intoxicated and crashed a rental GMC Yukon into the Volkswagen Jetta before driving her and another to Portland International Airport.