SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NDSU (11/24)

SWSiouxMN

I think the fact that NDSU has played 4 games and we have only played 2 will be a factor.

I actually was thinking the same thing, plus they have played 3 DI teams where UND has only Wisconsin to measure how everyone is doing. It could be a factor but at the same time, we are at home, and that should help greatly since it will be at the Betty.

This game is going to be very close the entire game. It may come down to who makes the free throws at the end and this concerns me a lot. We need to get our shooters involved in this game cause against Wisconsin Anderson, Schuler and Antwi I believe only took 2 three's among them. I re-watched the game and when the guards drive they need to look for these open guys cause they continue to force shots with numerous defenders on them. We no doubt have the athletes this year and experience that can run with anybody but we still need play as a team and not rely so much on shooting with multiple defenders on us. This shows in the amount of points we have scored and lack of assists. I don't think NDSU can stop our athletes but I also know we can't stop NDSU's post game. Borkland could have a career game against Salmonson and Calcaterra. Wish we had Wilmer back cause at least he played hard and aggressive. If we had Brekke I'd feel real confident right now. It's going to be a classic with 2 very good teams in a sold out environment.

NDSU is not better than Wisconsin. I would bet the farm that NDSU would not allow Wisconsin to get to the century mark in regulation. They've done that never under Saul as a coach. Wisconsin wasn't playing half court basketball at all. UND wasn't guarding, Wisconsin was shooting open shots and hitting, and UND would come down and force something. Like what JDub said, Wisconsin was allowing it because UND wasn't guarding and Wisconsin was hitting shots. I would put money down that if Wisconsin wasn't hitting shots you would have seen a different kind of game. Probably still be around what it was for score, but it would have been a different game.

I watched the UND-Wisconsin game. I was impressed with Huff. Guys a very good player. I was even impressed with some of the inside play, UND has some athletes that can play inside, but you fans don't seem to like them and you know them more than I do. They aren't going to post up, but they can get in and rebound off Huff driving. I was very impressed with UND on offense. They force alot, but they have players that can. With that being said, I was equally unimpressed with the defense. I don't see NDSU having any issues scoring on your defense. The issue will be if NDSU can stay consistent. Their offense played pretty well tonight and outran a Western Michigan team who's won 15 nonconference home games in a row.

It's going to be a good game. I think NDSU wins. I wouldn't be surprised if UND wins. Both teams have very good individual players who can get to the rim. Both teams have shooters. NDSU has an inside prescence. UND has players who can carry the team in spurts. NDSU plays defense. UND seems to like to run. NDSU is very good in defensive transition. UND likes to stay in transition, is good at it, and doesn't seem to use many sets.

NDSU may not allow Wisconsin to the century mark, but they wouldn't sniff anywhere near 85 points either. The reason Wisconsin was getting good looks pretty much boiled down to their center having a career game. UND had a tough time because their 7 footer kept popping out to the three point line and proceeded to go 6-6. Do you know what that does to a defense when you are already playing with a smaller line-up? Bjorklund won't move out past 12 feet from the basket, it isn't his game and that will be a significant difference. And I think you're overstating how many shot UND forced. Their were a few, but they are an aggressive team. I was actually surprised Wisconsin didn't have more fouls called on them, but non-conference game at a B1G school, you aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt. I can see NDSU getting into some foul trouble on Sunday. If UND can contain Bjorklund, I think they win.

As for dictating the tempo, I haven't seen much of that from NDSU this year compared to last year though part of that could be the new foul rules.

What does an NDSU grad do if they lose their farm ;)

They don't own the farm they work on the farm, the UND grad that owns the bank owns the farm. Seems like every week we attract new trolls must not be much to talk about over at bison-swille.
  • Upvote 1

We need to get to the hoop and put some pressure on Bjorkland to defend it. With Nash playing both at the hoop and at the arc, Wright will be out of the lane. If we can get into Bjorkland and force him into some foul trouble, FU's backup post players are no better than ours.

• Upvote 1

The Bison will make the tourney this year.. They are quite good. One of the main reasons they make the tournament is SDSU is not near as good as last year. Another reason is that Oakland has moved to another league. ORU used to be a roadblock too. The Summit is definitely weaker this year and will continue to get weaker if more teams leave the Summit. The Bison will roll thru their tournament. As far as this game UND can win but they are going to have to shoot good. Bison do defend quite good though. Huff needs to take Braun out of the game like he did 2 years ago. Braun seems to have turnover problems so I hope he handles the ball a lot. Hopefully UND can contain Bjorkland . He is going to get his , just so he doesn't go wild. If the Bison aren't shooting lights out from the 3 UND has a shot at knocking them off. It should be a great game as both teams are good,.

Agree it is weak but still don't think they win the league tournament.

Who would beat them? As far as I can tell both SD teams are down this year and Denver isn't looking too great either. The only team looking competitive other than the bizun is UNO, and they aren't eligible for the dance IIRC.

Our posts have to catch well in the lane and keep the ball off the floor (high percentage shots with soft touches and play strong off the glass if they miss). FU's quick hands and smothering D forced several turnovers last night right under the hoop against Western Michigan. Offensive rebounds off of misses will be huge for both teams on Sunday. Not enough respect being given to L.A. and Wright on here. They are studs. Felt is streaky, but if he is on, he is deadly from the perimeter. I was impressed with their Brown off the bench, too, last night against WMU.

Free throws.

Free throws.

Free throws.

FU is as good as advertised.

UND is not as bad as assumed by many down south. They (fans) just don't know it yet.

What conference will the officials be coming from?

Should be a fun game.

If last year's game in Fargo is any indication, it will be a hodgepodge. Last year, it was Eric Curry (Big Sky, Mountain West), John Yorkovich (Summit, MAC), and Jeff Campbell (Summit, Missouri Valley).

Who would beat them? As far as I can tell both SD teams are down this year and Denver isn't looking too great either. The only team looking competitive other than the bizun is UNO, and they aren't eligible for the dance IIRC.

It comes down to a one and done scenario due to the autobid...Denver will get better as will SDSU. I'll take the field in the Summit tournament. Saul isn't the greatest BB mind out there and there is no Woodson.

It comes down to a one and done scenario due to the autobid...Denver will get better as will SDSU. I'll take the field in the Summit tournament. Saul isn't the greatest BB mind out there and there is no Woodson.

But Saul said to write it down, NDSU is a tournament team. No highlighted sheets or anything like that yet, but still.

Who is Woodson and what does he have to do with Bison basketball?

Both good teams. Should be a fun game to watch. By saying either one will win shouldn't mean that the other isn't any good. I say that the winner has about 78 points and wins by 5. Up to 15 lead changes with no team having a greater than 7 point advantage. UND makes a bunch of fouls shots at the end and wins!

Regular season doesn't matter in the SL tourney since the whole conference (except transitional Omaha) makes it. Whichever team is hot in the tourney will win it, which wasn't NDSU since 2009.

Regular season doesn't matter in the SL tourney since the whole conference (except transitional Omaha) makes it. Whichever team is hot in the tourney will win it, which wasn't NDSU since 2009.

Honestly the regular season doesn't matter for much in any conference tourney considering any team actually capable of winning the tourney is probably in it.

Wolters is gone....even if he was still here...wouldn't be a shock for NDSU to make it this year. Pretty fun watching those two teams go at it last year.

Honestly the regular season doesn't matter for much in any conference tourney considering any team actually capable of winning the tourney is probably in it.

Wolters is gone....even if he was still here...wouldn't be a shock for NDSU to make it this year. Pretty fun watching those two teams go at it last year.

I would say the regular season means a lot more in the Big Sky than it does in the Summit. Not every team makes it and the regular season champ gets to host. Makes a big difference to get Weber or Montana away from their big home crowds.

The outcome of this game will be simple. After playing for 4 hours and 6 overtimes the game will end in a tie due to lack of players for each team. Braun and Huff will be ejected in the first overtime for fighting and the final three players from both teams will be walk-ons, everyone else will have fouled out. That's how close this game will be for the entire contest.