SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-14 Season

UND Fan

I think another big piece to the potential of this team is the addition of Jason Shay as an assistant coach. He appears to be someone who can who has coached in "big time" games which will hopefully help our guys come tourney time.

I definitely respect your opinions on here, but don't you think this program the last couple of years has done fairly well, with what is available to them at tourney time? Certainly, the Great West Tourney Championships were maybe nothing to write home about, but the team never went into those as the favorite, and the last 2 they came out the winner. Plus, last year I was impressed how well they played a very formidable Weber St. team in the semi's of the BSC. The game could have went our way. So basically what I'm saying...I don't discount your point because I think he is a good coach and a valuable addition to our staff. But I also think that Coach Jones and his staff in recent years have done a nice job with getting his team playing their best basketball at tourney time.

I definitely respect your opinions on here, but don't you think this program the last couple of years has done fairly well, with what is available to them at tourney time? Certainly, the Great West Tourney Championships were maybe nothing to write home about, but the team never went into those as the favorite, and the last 2 they came out the winner. Plus, last year I was impressed how well they played a very formidable Weber St. team in the semi's of the BSC. The game could have went our way. So basically what I'm saying...I don't discount your point because I think he is a good coach and a valuable addition to our staff. But I also think that Coach Jones and his staff in recent years have done a nice job with getting his team playing their best basketball at tourney time.

I wasn't criticizing the coaching staff, and I agree that they have played well come tourney time. You're also right about the Weber st. game. But come tourney time, there are going to be a lot of close games as teams know its win or go home. I guess I was just trying to make the point that Shay's addition should be acknowledged also. And in a close game, sometimes a coaching decision can be the difference.

I wasn't criticizing the coaching staff, and I agree that they have played well come tourney time. You're also right about the Weber st. game. But come tourney time, there are going to be a lot of close games as teams know its win or go home. I guess I was just trying to make the point that Shay's addition should be acknowledged also. And in a close game, sometimes a coaching decision can be the difference.

I get completely agree with what your saying. I do think having Coach Shay, who has seen the X's and O's with a high level program can only benefit this team moving forward.

I get completely agree with what your saying. I do think having Coach Shay, who has seen the X's and O's with a high level program can only benefit this team moving forward.

I would guess that Shay will have a positive affect on coaching but I hope his greatest contribution is the recruitment of some real talent to the team - especially for next year.

Having not met him, I don't really know what his strengths are...either in recruiting or x's and o's. You sound skeptical as if to insinuate the other coaches on staff aren't capable of recruiting talent and that it's up to Coach Shay to make sure we get good players for the future? More than likely I'm misreading. I'll say again, I think all our coaches on this staff are good in the recruiting department for a variety of reasons. I really have no basis for that opinion, but I also have no basis to the contrary either.

We had the one very good recruiting class and getting Hooker was great but, for the most part, we have been unable to bring in many talented freshmen. That said, it is difficult to recruit kids from other areas to the remoteness and tough winters of North Dakota. That is why attracting recruits from the Cities and WI is so important - we have a much better chance of landing them.

We had the one very good recruiting class and getting Hooker was great but, for the most part, we have been unable to bring in many talented freshmen. That said, it is difficult to recruit kids from other areas to the remoteness and tough winters of North Dakota. That is why attracting recruits from the Cities and WI is so important - we have a much better chance of landing them.

What about Schuler and Brekke? Of course, Brekke was not difficult to recruit for North Dakota. I think Schuler is very underated. He was really the first notable high school recruit for Jones. It just turned out that the next season they brought in 3 guys that play the same position that are all capable of being all-conference players. That is just not going to happen every year at this level of basketball. What I do like about Jones is how he fills the gaps with quality JUCO players. Emmanual Little, Earvin Youmens, Travis Mertens, Alonso Traylor, Jaron Nash (hopefully). No program should be built on JUCO players IMO, but Jones has found some nice ones that can contribute in his time here..........

I think it will be Nash. This is his only year he gets to play...I think that will be a big motivator for him. I believe the biggest difference maker has to in order for us to get to the next level will have to be Brandon Brekke. He has to be a 12 point 6 rebound a night guy for the team and provide that interior scoring in order to get to where we need to go. What will help him get there a great deal is if another one of the big bodies raises their game and becomes a factor (Traylor, Salmonson, Calcuterra). That's what I think is critical in order to go from having a pretty good year to a great year.

I think it will be Nash. This is his only year he gets to play...I think that will be a big motivator for him. I believe the biggest difference maker has to in order for us to get to the next level will have to be Brandon Brekke. He has to be a 12 point 6 rebound a night guy for the team and provide that interior scoring in order to get to where we need to go. What will help him get there a great deal is if another one of the big bodies raises their game and becomes a factor (Traylor, Salmonson, Calcuterra). That's what I think is critical in order to go from having a pretty good year to a great year.

I agree with Nash being a huge key to the next level because of his size and athleticism and also Traylor can be huge. We got a glimpse of what Traylor can do on the inside in just a few games last year. In my opinion these two are the key cause we know what we have in Huff, Anderson, Webb, Schuler, Brekke, Antwi and Benton. This will be by far the most complete and deepest team we have had in years. Go Sioux

What about Schuler and Brekke? Of course, Brekke was not difficult to recruit for North Dakota. I think Schuler is very underated. He was really the first notable high school recruit for Jones. It just turned out that the next season they brought in 3 guys that play the same position that are all capable of being all-conference players. That is just not going to happen every year at this level of basketball. What I do like about Jones is how he fills the gaps with quality JUCO players. Emmanual Little, Earvin Youmens, Travis Mertens, Alonso Traylor, Jaron Nash (hopefully). No program should be built on JUCO players IMO, but Jones has found some nice ones that can contribute in his time here..........

I know Schuler and Brekke red-shirted a year but I consider them the class with Anderson, Webb and Huff since they have played all 3 years together so far. It was been quite a fun class to watch with everything different each one brings to the team.

I know Schuler and Brekke red-shirted a year but I consider them the class with Anderson, Webb and Huff since they have played all 3 years together so far. It was been quite a fun class to watch with everything different each one brings to the team.

Yep. And going dancing would be the cherry on top of the work and dedication those guys have put into the program. Going to be an exciting season.

I certainly don't want to shed a poor light on any of the kids I am going to mention but the following is a summary of the recruiting results of the last five years:

Freshmen

Haugen - left program

Brekke - I also consider him part of the 2010 class. I wish he could have stayed healthy last year. He has been a good, steady player for us.

Schuler - Also considered part of the 2010 class. I will preface this by saying that I really like Schuler. His scoring averages have been 9.2, 5.7 and 8.8. A great kid, a great shooter but not the scorer many had expected of him.

Transfer

Clausen - averaged 6.1 and 3.1 in his two years

Freshmen (none of these kids were very highly recruited but they have obviously been great contributors)

Anderson

Huff

Webb

Freshmen

Antwi - has contributed

Benton - recruited walk-on with promise for $ if he contributed, that has happened

Gentry - left program

Freshman

Blake - unrecruited walk-on

Transfers

Traylor - played a few games before grade issues hit

Salmonson - redshirted

Hobaugh - walk-on, redshirted

Freshman

Hooker - I expect this kid to be a stud for us

Transfers

There are five transfers (including the three who arrived in 2012) on the team this year. I expect a couple of them to be contributors

Bottom line - we have landed very few blue-chip recruits in recent years. If it had not been for the 2010 class, the last few years may have been quite disappointing. If we want to compete year in and year out in the Big Sky, we need to bring in at least one stud each year - hopefully, that will happen.

With the class of 2010 leaving combined with the above analysis, this is why I feel we need assistance with our recruiting.

*** There certainly may be someone off the above lists or another error or two.

I don't see that happening. The Men's BB team, for the first time in a long time, looks like conference title contenders. They will have to improve their road record.

I agree, with all that we have coming back I really don't see it happening either, unless we start receiving injuries.

We did go 6-4 on the road in the Big Sky, but went 6-4 at home. Hopefully we can clean them both up a little bit at make it at least 8-2 for both.

Is it Estan Tyler?

My guess is yes. He will have to sit out this year and should have two years remaining as I don't believe he redshirted at UMKC. Not sure if him and Hooker will be competing for PG minutes next year or both will be on the court at the same time. Jones has shown the ability to have multiple ball handlers on the floor at the same time so don't think it will be too big of an issue.