SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-14 Season

UND Fan

That was the problem....we had to many local guys from EGF, Fargo, Jamestown, etc. Where did that get us?!!

That is a true statement in recent years but we have a lot of very talented ND players in the past. Unfortunately, they have been scarse lately and the really good ones have gone out of state.

This is bar none, the biggest basketball season in UND's history. Period. We have potentially the best player in the Big Sky (Huff) and the best backcourt in the Big Sky as well. (Webb, Anderson, Huff, Schuler).

We do have some big questions in the frontcourt however, as each player has some issues. Brekke is the most experienced and talented (he could be All Big Sky this year, I really think so), but is the concussion issue in the past and can he stay out of foul trouble. Does Traylor have his grades in order and can they stay in order? Can Calcaterra tap into his potential and be a big time post player? What will Salmonson and Nash bring to the table?

If the frontcourt can get its act together and plays respectably, we can do a lot of damage this year.

I am holding this team to a higher standard this year. No more of this CIT/CBI stuff, its NCAA or Bust. Anything less would be a disappointment in my eyes

• Upvote 3

This is bar none, the biggest basketball season in UND's history. Period. We have potentially the best player in the Big Sky (Huff) and the best backcourt in the Big Sky as well. (Webb, Anderson, Huff, Schuler).

We do have some big questions in the frontcourt however, as each player has some issues. Brekke is the most experienced and talented (he could be All Big Sky this year, I really think so), but is the concussion issue in the past and can he stay out of foul trouble. Does Traylor have his grades in order and can they stay in order? Can Calcaterra tap into his potential and be a big time post player? What will Salmonson and Nash bring to the table?

If the frontcourt can get its act together and plays respectably, we can do a lot of damage this year.

I am holding this team to a higher standard this year. No more of this CIT/CBI stuff, its NCAA or Bust. Anything less would be a disappointment in my eyes

All we need to do is win the regular season and the dance goes through Grand Forks!!!

All we need to do is win the regular season and the dance goes through Grand Forks!!!

Whenever Bison fans gave me crap about rushing the floor in 2012 at the Ralph after beating them, I just tell them it was a rehearsal for when we punch our ticket to the Big Dance at the BIG SKY Tournament in Grand Forks!!! :)

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something I feel like people are overlooking is the fact that UND is adding this to their lineup in 2013:

6'9" - Calcaterra

6'9" - Salmonson

6'8" - Nash

6'6" - Traylor (only played a couple games last year before Xmas)

That is some serious depth up front that they can keep shuttling in and out.

Never heard of this site before, but they pick North Dakota to win the Big Sky..................

32 in 32: Big Sky Conference

That is interesting...I hope the author is right. However, it's hard to discount Weber St. with Bolomboy. The guy is a monster and is only a sophmore. Also, I happen to believe that Eastern Washington will be a top 6 team, as they are returning a very solid player in Jois and a nice developing Big Man, in Seifert. If we get good interior play this year, in both scoring and defense, then we will have a great chance to make some noise. There is no doubt about that.

Something I feel like people are overlooking is the fact that UND is adding this to their lineup in 2013:

6'9" - Calcaterra

6'9" - Salmonson

6'8" - Nash

That will be big. We really struggled last year when Brekke missed time with the concussion.

Never heard of this site before, but they pick North Dakota to win the Big Sky..................

32 in 32: Big Sky Conference

The Fighting Sioux... I think UND has the inside track, or at least the horses to get it done, Weber should be right there and Montana will be around 3rd or 4th, unless some young guys step up I don't know if they can offset losing Cherry and Ward.

That is interesting...I hope the author is right. However, it's hard to discount Weber St. with Bolomboy. The guy is a monster and is only a sophmore. Also, I happen to believe that Eastern Washington will be a top 6 team, as they are returning a very solid player in Jois and a nice developing Big Man, in Seifert. If we get good interior play this year, in both scoring and defense, then we will have a great chance to make some noise. There is no doubt about that.

I agree with you about EWU. That Jois kid was tough.

I find it hard to believe that Weber will not be the favorite, given how they ended last season. I think Montana has a lot to replace with the losses of Cherry and Ward, but they are a great program. If everyone stays healthy and ELIGIBLE, I think North Dakota will be right there in the top 3 agains challenging the Griz and Wildcats....................

6'9" - Calcaterra

6'9" - Salmonson

6'8" - Nash

Lots of size, very nice to see. Add all that to 6'8" Brekke, and you've gotten very deep at the 5/4 position. I'm most excited about Traylor and Nash. Traylor because we saw a bit of him last year and I thought he looked real good. A true power forward. Nash because he is reportedly uber-athletic with size. I also hope that Brekke can have a nice senior year. Watching him as a freshman and sophomore, I figured he'd easily be a 14 ppg, 8 rpg guy by the time he was a senior. He was really slowed last year by injury I think. He was slowed by injury last year (concussion) and has always been plagued by fouls. Would be great to see him return to the form of his sophomore year. 3 quality post players plus 4 quality guards could be a recipe for success..............

I also like our chances to win the Big Sky. However, Weber and Montana are still the teams to beat as they always are. We will definitely be battle tested leading up to the first Big Sky game and I hope no one gets discouraged with our record leading into this first Big Sky game. I would be very excited if we go 5-5 our first 10 games. Being on the road you figure loses to Wisconsin, Oregon and Butler. The other 2 teams in Oregon will also be a handful as they finished very high in their respected conferences last year. NDSU and SDSU will also be a very good game but at least we have them at home. It is a great 10 game non-conference schedule for sure.

6'9" - Calcaterra

6'9" - Salmonson

6'8" - Nash

I think another big piece to the potential of this team is the addition of Jason Shay as an assistant coach. He appears to be someone who can who has coached in "big time" games which will hopefully help our guys come tourney time.